Windows Vista Modernisation Guide

Win10-Hater

18 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Well then I suggest to anyone looking for drivers to update them themselves. Driver booster actually kinda destroyed few of my windows installation. It absolutely does not care if it is installing chipset driver made for windows 10 on Windows 8.1. 

That's what I do. I only use Driver Booster if I cannot find any drivers for the OS and the hardware

Well, @winvispixp, I'm in a dilemma now. 

Windows Update still does not work after installing the patch, due to having .net framework 4.7.2 installed on my system. I cannot part with it as it may come in handy to run some programs explicitly depending on it. Still, I can manually download the updates.

Anyways, I'll add it to the guide as it may be not working only for me.

I found that Windows Update with the patch broke at one point (I'm not sure why, but it happened after I tried switching the patch from stock Vista to Server 2008, so that might've had something to do with it), and I had to remove the patch, reboot, reinstall the patch, and reboot again before I could get it to work again.

So, maybe try that?

c

Edited by cc333

50 minutes ago, cc333 said:

I found that Windows Update with the patch broke at one point (I'm not sure why, but it happened after I tried switching the patch from stock Vista to Server 2008, so that might've had something to do with it), and I had to remove the patch, reboot, reinstall the patch, and reboot again before I could get it to work again.

So, maybe try that?

c

Tried, still refuses to work due to .net FW 4.7.2 being installed and I cannot part with it.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

Definitely DO NOT!

SDI is far superior and it DOESN’T INSTALL INCOMPATIBLE DRIVERS!

I’m speaking from experience.

That's odd, i've had a few problems with SDI like it installing the incorrect driver for my touchpad so it doesn't work at all, and if a display driver "failed to extract" it uninstalls the display driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea the guide, despite scrambled in SDI vs Driver Booster war and windows update issue.

For the latter, i've used WSUSOffline v10.9.2 (last version supporting Vista) to download everything - Vista Box Checked on a clean installation of Vista SP2, and after that used a more recent WSUSOffline (don't remember the version) to download everything - Server 2008 Box Checked to get all the compatible Vista updates after Vista EOL.

1 hour ago, Vistaboy said:

...after that used a more recent WSUSOffline (don't remember the version) to download everything - Server 2008 Box Checked to get all the compatible Vista updates after Vista EOL.

Even for Server 2008 ESU updates?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 11:36 PM, winvispixp said:

I don't know if windows update will find every update it used to find let's say 3 years ago... I think a few of them got deleted after the windows update SHA-1 based endpoints got discontinued (I hope I'm wrong) in aug 2020

To my surprise, it does find all the updates, even for Office 2010!! Also offered are Visual Studio updates, Ultimate Extras and even Windows Live Essentials 2011!

2 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

To my surprise, it does find all the updates, even for Office 2010!! Also offered are Visual Studio updates, Ultimate Extras and even Windows Live Essentials 2011!

Thats great! Im going to try it to install office 2010 updates

• Win10-Hater changed the title to Windows Vista Modernisation Guide

Hello all. I'm sorry for the long period of inactivityI've moved back to Windows Vista after temporarily shifting to Zorin Linux (I still love Linux, don't get me wrong, but I didn't get the homely feeling that Windows gave me on using it, so I shifted back to Windows).

I've updated the guide.

great, someone bumped the thread, so i guess i'll have to tag along too

i've never used driver crapper or probably any io bit software

snappy driver installer (origin) downloads driverpacks, then it would install the drivers it finds. it would try to find the most optimal driver (even older versions, and should recommended be signed) and then install it. sometimes it comes across unsigned drivers, or drivers that don't work (e.g. installation of ivy bridge graphics driver doesn't work, have to manually do it from the ivy bridge guide here) probably because the driverpacks thinks something is something, idk. for modern systems running older os, it maybe incompatible (for instance, it discovers modded ryzen chipset that has directory of windows 10 on a windows 8.1 system, unsigned and it failed to install, until i found out about the modded driver on winraid for 7 & 8.1) and almost certainly the incorrect ryzen chipset driver for vista

it also installs unsigned keyboard & other hid drivers on modern os

this is at the fault of the driverpacks, or you (most certainly), not sdi(o) itself

so either create your own driverpack (pack into .7z format) or recommended you find the compatible driver first (this is prerequisite for packing) and then install it

example: https://mega.nz/folder/qtxS2KaS#Tsm4EHhoz5fhLdPMK8P87w

if there are no drivers for such hw and sdi doesn't install it correctly, then you're truly out of luck. please i'm begging you, please stop with the opinions

but everything is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, and enough is enough. bye.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:38 PM, Connor McMahon said:

...like it installing the incorrect driver for my touchpad so it doesn't work at all...

yeah, that happened to me before (despite this is a almost 2 year comment), so it means go search for the touchpad driver, otherwise stick with the default generic one (that can't handle touchpads correctly but better than not being able to move it at all)

3 minutes ago, Chuterix said:

this is at the fault of the driverpacks, or you (most certainly), not sdi(o) itself

i could then say hypothetically that driver killer breaking drivers is the user's fault, but due to it's nagging and closed source pay to use full software it's not what I recommend at all