NT4 hard drive size limits?

Nomen

I tried searching for this on the web in general and also here at msfn and couldn't find anything.  

Other than perhaps a 2 tb max which is a common limit for a lot of motherboard/OS combinations, does NT4 (SP6) have any specific limitation on hard drive size - specifically for IDE drives?  I'm currently running a couple of NT4 servers (one on a P3 motherboard, another on a P4 motherboard), both currently have 80 gb drives, and I'm thinking of cloning them to 240 gb SSD and then using a small IDE-SATA adapter to run them off the SSD instead.  So I'd be going from 80 gb to 240 gb in this case, which would cross the 137 gb LBA barrier.

So none of the service packs for NT4 addressed the 28-bit LBA issue?  We know that XP-SP0 had the issue and was fixed relatively quickly in 2001 or 2002, and win-2K also had the issue and was fixed, but MS did not fix the issue with NT4?  Perhaps because SP 6a was released in Nov 1999 - this predates any of the 28-bit LBA fixes from MS I guess.

Note this from wikipedia:

-----------

Service Pack 7 was planned at one stage in early 2001, but this became the Post SP6a Security Rollup and not a full service pack, released on July 26, 2001, 16 months after the release of Windows 2000 and nearly three months prior to the release of Windows XP.[40]

------------

So I guess there was no LBA-28 fix in that security rollup?

Can no files from Win-2K be used by NT4 in this regard?

Does the Intel Application Accelerator package apply to (and therefore fix) NT4's problem with LBA-28?

53 minutes ago, Nomen said:

Does the Intel Application Accelerator package apply to (and therefore fix) NT4's problem with LBA-28?

The issue is in Windows NT 4's ATA driver, so using a 3rd party ATA driver like the one included in Intel Application Accelerator will completely remove the need to fix the issue in your situation.

Edited by Ximonite

No.

No,

Who knows?

No.

No.

Cannot really say, it may depend on BIOS, chipset and even IDE cables, let alone adding in the chain an IDE-SATA converter.

You can try, and test thoroughfully, if it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

Now, is the update to 240 GB actually *needed*?

Or could you try using a 128 GB SSD and it would be enough?

BTW, remember that you can have a 240 GB SSD and on it a 128 GiB/137 GB partition/volume on it without issues. 

AFAICR, nothing changed in the last 10 years or so:

jaclaz

9 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Cannot really say, it may depend on BIOS, chipset and even IDE cables, let alone adding in the chain an IDE-SATA converter.

Based on the fact that Nomen mentioned using Intel Application Accelerator and said they are Pentium 3 and 4 machines, it's safe to assume that the chipsets are Intel 8xx chipsets. The BIOS may or may not have an effect. I don't know enough about BIOSes to know what determines if a BIOS can boot from a drive over 137GB. All I can say for sure is that Windows NT 4 will be fine if you use a driver that supports LBA-48, like the one included in Intel Application Accelerator.