ATTN: People using Mega.nz to share stuff here

Koishi Komeiji

@Koishi Komeiji

Should pack the bags and make it happen XD.
Cool story is the small US town I moved to had a pretty legendary punk/metal scene back in the 90s and early 2000s. Maybe there was a Saga? They should have, would've been a hit not biased haha.

About mega GUI

The GUI’s like mega is a pretty common GUI it seems, that companies target these days. Have some vague memory of the way programmers would design back in 2012 and before, its changed a lot, more heavy. Maybe just because I used opera on the presto engine for a long time, I remember GUI being lighter.

5 hours ago, TheSaga said:

Should pack the bags and make it happen XD.
Cool story is the small US town I moved to had a pretty legendary punk/metal scene back in the 90s and early 2000s. Maybe there was a Saga? They should have, would've been a hit not biased haha.

I still think deep down we all want to be part of a band, it's just that individual success has overtaken because of the likes of social media and the likes :/

Ooooh that's pretty amazing, got any particular tunes on hand you could share? haha :P

5 hours ago, TheSaga said:

The GUI’s like mega is a pretty common GUI it seems, that companies target these days. Have some vague memory of the way programmers would design back in 2012 and before, its changed a lot, more heavy. Maybe just because I used opera on the presto engine for a long time, I remember GUI being lighter.

Yeah. There was definitely a focus on lightweight and fast up until what, about 2016 or so? It was slowly slipping away from about 2012 onwards to be fair but because of the huge abundance of younger people who could legally be tracked by corporate media I suspect they wanted to shove as much of that down the later generations' throats to ensure social media monopolised our minds... I'm pretty worried, stuff like Discord (which basically breaks in anything that isn't Chromium based) essentially took over a lot of the 'independent communities' I used to frequent, and even the older people who were on forums for years 'switched over'. That never particularly sat well with me given how social media has been gradually stripping away customisation features and 'subgroup-like' features especially in the past few years (think how Facebook basically abandoned Groups for Pages and Twitter killed the ability for a user to have a custom colour on their profile page). It's trying to tell us to all be the same, and to stick to the same few sites, isn't it? And because most of people are so used to it they just buy into it instead of looking for alternative platforms anymore...

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

@Koishi Komeiji

Wow that last paragraph is so true. This is no mere conspiracy, its for real. Bothers me. If I decide to have kids gotta show them the outside worlds greatness, no social media needed.

Wasn't in the town in its hey day but Nirvana visited it back in the 90s, was a big deal for a smaller town for sure. Place was a complete dive around a cornfield haha.

Edited by TheSaga

The explanation MEGA gave a while back for it sucking in Firefox is that Firefox doesn't support writing files via HTML5 FileSystem API. Of course, I agree that using JavaScript to download files is not a very good experience. In Chrome, it doesn't download it to RAM but to the disk using the HTML5 API, but the experience in the web browser still isn't great unless you have a fast machine.

The MEGA client on the other hand isn't bad though - it's lightweight, fast, not updated constantly, it downloads extremely fast and the context menu verbs it adds disappear without bloating the context menu once the client is exited. I have MEGA accounts of 50 GB from when they were giving away huge storage for free and I guess plenty of people grabbed them. That's why it's somewhat popular.

For that matter, there's also a long-standing bug in Google Chrome when downloading big files from their own Google Drive which causes huge file transfers to fail abruptly. Strangely when using Firefox to download from Google Drive, the bug doesn't exist. OneDrive is also a good alternative, even for that, I grabbed 25 GB accounts when they were giving those. But then I trust big brother Microsoft less than big brother Google. That's why Mega. Dropbox's free accounts suck IMHO. I don't know any other reliable service still around for years offering big storage in free accounts.

As for download speeds, MEGA gives some impressive speeds. But so does OneDrive or Google Drive due to their distributed network of datacenters all across the globe. Just my two cents.

Edited by xpclient

@xpclient

Great point thanks for mentioning this, about the clients. Even on XP old versions of the client do work to download files, its really useful for XP users.

-Saga

Edited by TheSaga

10 hours ago, TheSaga said:

Great point thanks for mentioning this, about the clients. Even on XP old versions of the client do work to download files, its really useful for XP users.

There's also the megatools CLI utility which has an XP-specific build, go check it out. :P

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2020 at 9:57 PM, jaclaz said:

A good question would be - before making such a general/generic appeal - WHO actually uses mega.nz on MSFN, :dubbio:

Well, I do :P. I do not think that there is any free alternative to host the 30+ GB of data that my download archive takes.

If there is any, do please let me know, as I am not a big fan of the MEGA's web design and download system too.