ATTN: People using Mega.nz to share stuff here

Koishi Komeiji

Please switch to another provider.

It's the embodiment of modern web design hell. Requires a recent version of Chrome to work properly, downloads the entire file into RAM, and evidently y'know, isn't going to be nice on legacy systems. At all.

JDownloader2 is also not the solution. It's a horribly cobbled up piece of software with a malware-esque installer, written in a language developed currently by a company that is beyond untrustable when it comes to the FOSS scene (messing up everything they've touched except VirtualBox essentially), and for some reason it won't bother to respond to half the UI options. Maybe it's just me.

Sorry, this is absolutely necessary it's something that's really been bugging me for ages, hence the whole thing originally being in capitals... It's also worth noting MEGA is really popular in the software piracy community because its owner basically doesn't care, it offers a lot of storage for a free platform that doesn't bother to monitor its files and it comes from MegaUpload's owner so yeah, ethics here are 'making money off a bad user service for direct downloads of pirated content' once again.

Like its predecessor it's equally garbage, it seems, I remember MegaUpload years and years ago back when the main 3 were it, RapidShare and MediaFire, only the last of which still exists and is actually a pretty viable alternative upload site these days since it still works over HTTP, isn't too horrible ad-wise compared to the likes of its old ilk from back then, etc.

Alternatives I can think of

MediaFire (this one works over HTTP in fact); Dropbox (remember to link with the parameter ?dl=1 as older browsers would just break); Yandex.Disk (using a HTTP web proxy will let you DL files even in IE8 really easily); Google Drive (not a fan because Google monopolises everything but hey); zz.ht (for smaller files ~100MiB as the owner messed stuff up, is based off pomf software)

Edited by Tripredacus
title

7 hours ago, jaclaz said:

A good question would be - before making such a general/generic appeal - WHO actually uses mega.nz on MSFN,

I host private development versions of KernelXE files on mega.nz

10 hours ago, jaclaz said:

A good question would be - before making such a general/generic appeal - WHO actually uses mega.nz on MSFN,

win32 and WinClient5270 use it on the Vista side of things if I'm not mistaken, as does greenhillmaniac. I shouldn't need to jump a bunch of hurdles to download a single file on a fresh install, I thought the whole point of the site was to make life easier lol. Also in general mega.nz is just a horrible clusterduck of a platform on low end hardware and demonstrates... almost everything that's wrong with the modern web.

archive.org might be useful, even if it's slow, its possible to make a torrent on there which is extremely useful

on a side note - heinoganda using zippyshare is also somewhat tolerable apart from the fact they blocked some countries for whatever reason (the UK is one of them)

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

So we can tentatively list on the blackboard, on the "bad" side ;) a few kids:

win32
WinClient5270
greenhillmaniac

I am not so sure about adding Ximonite :dubbio:, if they are "private" it shouldn't be relevant.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Good topic,

MEGA.NZ is usable with 3.7GB of ram its success depends a bit on the browser your using(even try configuring through about::conf and settings+addons)

I found personally. It also depends on how many programs in XP for instance you have in the background. I have had some fairly decent luck using serpent X86(roytam1) to download files in the browser using MEGA.nz(usually no more than a few GB's).

Now the piracy aspect is controversal, it is based in Auckland New Zealand so the regulations may be different which goes back to the possible reason for the point you made.

Plus I found that now the very generous free 50GB of storage with free accounts has passed. I created my account a long time ago, and someone told me very old MEGA accounts aren't affect, will have to check.

Personally like yandex disk, but one final question besides MEGA.nz which do you believe has the most security and privacy?

Have a great day or night,

-Saga

Edited by TheSaga

I dunno.  I'm kind of neutral on this particular topic of file hosting sites.

However, I will agree that there's lots wrong with the modern internet, particularly the (in my opinion) overemphasis on security.  I can understand the need for good security for important things like online shopping, banking, and other such things.  But why does every single website need to be forced to use protocols and cipher suites that only a few of the newest browsers (namely Chrome and its derivatives) support?!  It's not like they're ALL dealing in sensitive info!  For example, I don't see the point in Wikipedia using strict TLS1.2 and 1.3 (at least for the public side);  for users logging in to create/edit pages, I suppose it's fine.

c

I don't have any opinion on this, but a little side note. I own a little intel compute stick with intel Atom and 2gb of ram. I once was downloading 12gb file from mega with chrome and it was just fine. I don't think that it is really that resource heavy, but I could be wrong.

I don't mean any offense to anyone, but I think this seems rather shortsighted to me.

Mega.nz is the only provider that offers up to 50 GB free storage (or at least it did, I don't think that is the case for new accounts anymore).

Anyone can use any platform to share pirated files, it is merely a tool which I don't think ought to be held against it. It's way more accessible than, say, posting torrent links or something like that.

HTTP? Really? Come on, even Windows 2000 can do HTTPS with TLS 1.3. Even Windows 98 can too, I've heard. There are likely very few members on here that are not able to use HTTPS. Maybe a poll might clarify this, but there are no incompatabilities between older platforms and secure web browsing. Just sounds like the OP doesn't know how to do SSL.

14 hours ago, cc333 said:

I dunno.  I'm kind of neutral on this particular topic of file hosting sites.

However, I will agree that there's lots wrong with the modern internet, particularly the (in my opinion) overemphasis on security.  I can understand the need for good security for important things like online shopping, banking, and other such things.  But why does every single website need to be forced to use protocols and cipher suites that only a few of the newest browsers (namely Chrome and its derivatives) support?!  It's not like they're ALL dealing in sensitive info!  For example, I don't see the point in Wikipedia using strict TLS1.2 and 1.3 (at least for the public side);  for users logging in to create/edit pages, I suppose it's fine.

c

Just my opinion, and I use to be irritated by this, too.

However, TLS 1.3 is supported w/o zero hassle on every version of Windows NT. I don't use Windows 9x so I can't comment there but the word on the street is it has been done as well.

Even Lynx does SSL.

Here's a good article which raises some points: https://scotthelme.co.uk/we-dont-do-https-for-backwards-compatibility/

Sure, HTTPS might not be necessary for everything.

Disclaimer: I am a webmaster who mandates HTTPS on all of my websites and as of this summer, I require minimum TLS 1.2. Anything older is obsolete, seldom used, and a drag on security scores.

Compatibility with older clients is not an issue, so I don't really see what the fuss is about anyways.

Providing you're actually able to execute the download without having to go through a bunch of hurdles to get there (trying multiple different browsers/configurations and whatnot), which was essentially my point when it came to MEGA - you can't simply wget your way to victory like you can most other places even if you had another device and hand-copied the URL, for instance. (Which is something I've had to do quite a few times lol.)

I was more getting at the fact that interacting with MEGA basically requires you to interact with its horrendous web UI or use megatools on the command line. Posting a torrent link would be a lot easier to share a pirated file as a matter of fact, at least I can use whatever client I damn well want lol and it won't throttle me... The latter of which wasn't obvious to me initially and that basically annoyed me enough to warrant creating this thread.

In regards to the whole piracy thing? Yeah lots of providers host pirated content, but for some reason (and going by people I've spoke to in warez circles, one in particular) MEGA is the most popular followed by either Google Drive or those weird RapidShare/MegaUpload-esque ones that throttle your download speed unless you have a premium account yourself. There's clearly a reason why this is the case tbh, probably where it's hosted and the fact the connection is 'further encrypted' than most of the others, but what does it matter when the government (and several big mostly US-based companies and govt funded organisations) log all your requests in the first place no matter what - unless you happen to be the likes of Dominic Cummings and want to get your eyes tested at Barnard Castle?

"Compatibility with older clients is not an issue, so I don't really see what the fuss is about anyways." I guess this depends on what you're supposed to be serving to audience-wise. An interesting take for a 'general audience' (say, for a small business) could be to redirect requests that aren't taken <=TLS1.2 to a security reminder page or something instead, I don't know - just to essentially help less technically inclined users. This could also be interesting of a way to stop some spam requests from being successful since they'd attempt connecting from older clients (without country blocking too so it would be friendlier in this case). Just a thought I guess.

"I don't have any opinion on this, but a little side note. I own a little intel compute stick with intel Atom and 2gb of ram. I once was downloading 12gb file from mega with chrome and it was just fine. I don't think that it is really that resource heavy, but I could be wrong."

@Jaguarek62 I did something like this in 2016 or so with Firefox and couldn't actually touch the PC for about twenty minutes, I thought it was gonna bloody explode or something - it just literally froze and the fan was spinning so much I... dijsgbsnsdjkkn

"Personally like yandex disk"

@TheSaga Yeah, Yandex overall seems to generally have decent to good 'legacy browser' support - they're the only email account provider I can actually think of who have a lite version that actually fully works on Opera Mini (J2ME) and given I use that myself as well as XP x64...  Offtopic but Is it weird I feel like your username would just sound great as a British post-punk / glam-metal rock band name? Thanks for the support on the thread either way :P 

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

2 hours ago, Koishi Komeiji said:

Providing you're actually able to execute the download without having to go through a bunch of hurdles to get there (trying multiple different browsers/configurations and whatnot), which was essentially my point when it came to MEGA - you can't simply wget your way to victory like you can most other places even if you had another device and hand-copied the URL, for instance. (Which is something I've had to do quite a few times lol.)

I was more getting at the fact that interacting with MEGA basically requires you to interact with its horrendous web UI or use megatools on the command line. Posting a torrent link would be a lot easier to share a pirated file as a matter of fact, at least I can use whatever client I damn well want lol and it won't throttle me... The latter of which wasn't obvious to me initially and that basically annoyed me enough to warrant creating this thread.

That's a fair point, but I'd be surprised if any of these cloud provider pages supported no-JS or the ability to scrape/ use wget.

Due to my current situation, I have quite a few such accounts but the long term plan will be getting everything onto on-premises file servers, and then I won't need to worry about this. If I need to provide others with file access, I can throw it up onto an actual web server.

In regards to the whole piracy thing? Yeah lots of providers host pirated content, but for some reason (and going by people I've spoke to in warez circles, one in particular) MEGA is the most popular followed by either Google Drive or those weird RapidShare/MegaUpload-esque ones that throttle your download speed unless you have a premium account yourself. There's clearly a reason why this is the case tbh, probably where it's hosted and the fact the connection is 'further encrypted' than most of the others, but what does it matter when the government (and several big mostly US-based companies and govt funded organisations) log all your requests in the first place no matter what - unless you happen to be the likes of Dominic Cummings and want to get your eyes tested at Barnard Castle?

Right... but if they can't tell what you are doing...

If I wanted to be really anonymous, I'd dial in to a BBS or use dial-up. Those can't really be traced back to me by the feds.

(by the way, nice BBS up at bbs.interlinked.us)

Even that supports TLS 1.3 ;)

"Compatibility with older clients is not an issue, so I don't really see what the fuss is about anyways." I guess this depends on what you're supposed to be serving to audience-wise. An interesting take for a 'general audience' (say, for a small business) could be to redirect requests that aren't taken <=TLS1.2 to a security reminder page or something instead, I don't know - just to essentially help less technically inclined users.

But then, you *do* support TLS 1.2, and it shows on your security scores. In order to pass those tests, you have to completely not support it, which means that wouldn't be possible.

The only such users I can think of are those using unpatched Internet Explorer versions on <=XP, or something like that...

This could also be interesting of a way to stop some spam requests from being successful since they'd attempt connecting from older clients (without country blocking too so it would be friendlier in this case). Just a thought I guess.

"I don't have any opinion on this, but a little side note. I own a little intel compute stick with intel Atom and 2gb of ram. I once was downloading 12gb file from mega with chrome and it was just fine. I don't think that it is really that resource heavy, but I could be wrong."

@Jaguarek62 I did something like this in 2016 or so with Firefox and couldn't actually touch the PC for about twenty minutes, I thought it was gonna bloody explode or something - it just literally froze and the fan was spinning so much I... dijsgbsnsdjkkn

"Personally like yandex disk"

@TheSaga Yeah, Yandex overall seems to generally have decent to good 'legacy browser' support

Maybe... but half their pages are in Russian, which is really annoying.

Yandex is my mail provider since they let you have unlimited accounts/storage, if you have your own domain. Score!

Of course, I use a mail client (MailNews), since I have 11 email accounts, so I rarely use the website.

- they're the only email account provider I can actually think of who have a lite version that actually fully works on Opera Mini (J2ME) and given I use that myself as well as XP x64...  Offtopic but Is it weird I feel like your username would just sound great as a British post-punk / glam-metal rock band name? Thanks for the support on the thread either way :P 

On 12/4/2020 at 3:38 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

I own a little intel compute stick with intel Atom and 2gb of ram. I once was downloading 12gb file from mega with chrome and it was just fine. I don't think that it is really that resource heavy, but I could be wrong.

The "downloads entire file into RAM" doesn't apply to Chromium and derivatives. You get the funny message if you eg. try to use Firefox to download bigger file and spoof Chrome's user agent, that says something like you can't use Chrome because it doesn't support feature we use, but you can use our app or use Chrome. :w00t: I guess it does feature detection and only uses user agent to put the browser you use in that message.

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

The "downloads entire file into RAM" doesn't apply to Chromium and derivatives. You get the funny message if you eg. try to use Firefox to download bigger file and spoof Chrome's user agent, that says something like you can't use Chrome because it doesn't support feature we use, but you can use our app or use Chrome. :w00t: I guess it does feature detection and only uses user agent to put the browser you use in that message.

And I guess this is a good example of 'site doesn't actually want to support Firefox and instead will contribute to the Blinkopolisation of the Internet'

@Dylan Cruz, Good call on the domain mail thing too, I've tried that before and it's pretty good for free imo especially as Zoho killed their services...