MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

Share your Microsoft Windows Vista experience!

I really liked Vista, since it's day of release, however I think that since the release of Windows 7, Microsoft totally messed up with Vista and trated it like crap. Same goes for Server 2008 R1. It's such a shame that IE9 (2011) is the last version of IE available both of them, especially since they decided to extend the support till 2023. IE9 is totally useless for private as well as business work for at least 5 years now: No YouTube, no Office-online, not even the Google Homepage is shown in its modern design. How do they think companies will profit from their Extended Support Offer, when IE9 is the last "big browser" that still gets patched. Firefox 52.9/Chrome 49 are no solutions in 2020/2021. They are patching a dinosaur, who wont get younger through the patches. They totally messed that up. What they could have done (since Vista would could supported it) was to release AT LEAST IE10 to Vista/Server 2008, since it's HTML5 performance is much better than the one of IE9. Nowadays, every browser that scores below 250 HTML5 points cant be used to browse the web fluently anymore. They should have also not stopped with IE development in general . There should have been an IE12 alongside Windows 10, but thats another story. Coming back the Vista, Microsoft could have rolled out feature updates for IE9, like IE9 SP1 ir IE9.1, IE9.2.. which could have improved CSS and HTML5 support. Personally, I would be so emberessed, if I would have been business leader and my PCs cant even check Mails because their Browser cant realy do anything. 

Further examples for messed up Vista- support are:

-> Office 2013/365

-> Movie Maker 2012

-> Skype

-> OneDrive

-> .. go on

Lenovo G580 Model 20150

Intel Core i3-2348M 2.30GHz

8GB of DDR3 RAM

A 1TB HDD

Originally ran Win 8 but it's not my favourite, so I put 7 on it and dualbooted with Vista, both are 64-bit.

I'm using Vista because it was the first OS I ever used and I really like it. I have to dualboot with 7 though, because I need modern software compatibility.

Edited by PugLover13
  • Like 2

HP Pavilion Notebook (can't find much else about this model other than that.)

AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics

6 GB DDR3 RAM

1 tb hdd

I hadn't known much about vista up until about 2 - 3 years ago. I wasn't as tech savvy before then so I just thought vista was another windows version that was different because of the name.

After I learned about how vista had gotten quite the bad reputation for it's apparent "instabilities", I did a bit more research into vista, then I tried vista, and loved it. Shortly after that I stopped caring about vista because I was really big into trying to obtain copies of Windows 7 and such. Fast forward to about late last year and I discover a few videos about some people trying vista in 2020. Didn't really care until I discovered WinClient5270 and his guide about how to make vista safe to use in the modern era. Then I forgot about vista for a bit again until I started downgrading my laptop a bit, then I asked myself this question; "Can I use vista on this thing?" I started doing a bit more research into all my drivers and seeing if they would work with vista. Then after doing that I installed vista.

So far my experience has been quite nice! Despite the fact that some drivers were a pain in the a** to install i'm quite enjoying vista. I'm not planning to move operating systems for a while because vista is my new home. :D

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 10:09 PM, Win10-Hater said:

@VistaEX Why are you switching OSes every now and then? If you like Vista, stay with Vista.

Yes, there is this free utility named USB Disk Eject 1.3.0.6 that does the job very well. Notifications are displayed as balloon tooltips.

This Tool Sounds Interesting i will have to try it and see if it works for me also im still on vista

Edited by VistaEX
On 11/17/2020 at 10:44 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I got Vista Ultimate x64 running on old dell M6400 mobile workstation.

Specs:

Core2duo X9100,2x4gb ddr3, 

For hard drives got 160gb wd scorpio black for OS and 320gb wd scorpio blue for games/software.

I think you could do a little better than this. You can put 16 gigs of DDR2 RAM, a Core 2 Quad Extreme qx9300 or at least a C2Q q9000. Also, an SSD would really help.

Posted (edited)
On 2/15/2021 at 9:05 AM, yoltboy01 said:

Further examples for messed up Vista- support are:

-> Office 2013/365

-> Movie Maker 2012

-> Skype

-> OneDrive

-> .. go on

Okay, I understand fully that you need Office 2013+, but not me. When my Office 2010 becomes completely obsolete (which is certainly not going to happen in the next 5 years), I will embrace LibreOffice and will never touch newer versions of MS Office.

Who needs Movie Maker when there is Adobe Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, etc.etc.? It's too basic.

OneDrive can be used in a web browser. 

Other than that, I agree, MS messed up Vista support for apps and made sure to frighten many legacy Windows users, but we at MSFN have not fallen prey to their intimidation techniques.

Edited by Win10-Hater
  • Like 2

my laptop: e6430 dell laptop from 2012

my specs: intel(r) hd graphics 4000 intel(r) core(tm) i5-3320m cpu @ 2.60ghz  intel(r) centrino(r) advanced-n 6205

my experience with vista has been awesome! it does every thing so fast and smooth and does what i want it to do and not what microsoft wants it to do so i give it a 10/10 experience!

(Edit: oh and i also like that it has 0 telemetry!)

Edited by VistaEX
  • Like 1
On 2/18/2021 at 6:04 PM, PugLover13 said:

I'm using Vista because it was the first OS I ever used and I really like it. I have to dualboot with 7 though, because I need modern software compatibility.

When did you use it first time ever? Just curious.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:21 PM, smr15 said:

After I learned about how vista had gotten quite the bad reputation for it's apparent "instabilities", I did a bit more research into vista, then I tried vista, and loved it. Shortly after that I stopped caring about vista because I was really big into trying to obtain copies of Windows 7 and such. Fast forward to about late last year and I discover a few videos about some people trying vista in 2020. Didn't really care until I discovered WinClient5270 and his guide about how to make vista safe to use in the modern era. Then I forgot about vista for a bit again until I started downgrading my laptop a bit, then I asked myself this question; "Can I use vista on this thing?" I started doing a bit more research into all my drivers and seeing if they would work with vista. Then after doing that I installed vista.

So far my experience has been quite nice! Despite the fact that some drivers were a pain in the a** to install i'm quite enjoying vista. I'm not planning to move operating systems for a while because vista is my new home. :D

Nice to know, I was also not very much into computers until last year, when I first used Vista.

On 3/24/2021 at 7:36 AM, Win10-Hater said:

I think you could do a little better than this. You can put 16 gigs of DDR2 RAM, a Core 2 Quad Extreme qx9300 or at least a C2Q q9000. Also, an SSD would really help.

Been on plan. Just have not had lot time upgrade it

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 12:01 PM, VistaEX said:

my laptop: e6430 dell laptop from 2012

my specs: intel(r) hd graphics 4000 intel(r) core(tm) i5-3320m cpu @ 2.60ghz  intel(r) centrino(r) advanced-n 6205

my experience with vista has been awesome! it does every thing so fast and smooth and does what i want it to do and not what microsoft wants it to do so i give it a 10/10 experience!

(Edit: oh and i also like that it has 0 telemetry!)

And a few weeks later, you switch to Windoze 10 (HOME EDITION!) after saying that Vista always goes corrupt on your PC. I think your HDD may be bad. upgrade it to an SSD and put Vista on it and see the difference. Vista hates bad HDDs, whichever the brand.

SSDs are becoming increasingly cheap nowadays, so why not upgrade?

43 minutes ago, Win10-Hater said:

Well they were till the last month in the czech republic. Now you can't even find wd green for under 100 bucks. Don't really know what is happening

Edit: they are few other brands that sill offers good prices though :D I just found out. so if you are able to find ssd for good price, definitely get rid of that hdd

Edited by Jaguarek62
5 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

And a few weeks later, you switch to Windoze 10 (HOME EDITION!) after saying that Vista always goes corrupt on your PC. I think your HDD may be bad. upgrade it to an SSD and put Vista on it and see the difference. Vista hates bad HDDs, whichever the brand.

im also thinking of replacing the main board with the mainboard that has the nvidia graphics card on it