Jump to content
MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

Share your Microsoft Windows Vista experience!


Recommended Posts

I'm a Vista user of 8 years now, all though my main machine was moved to Windows 7 (but with my improved Vista visual style), and my laptop can only run Win10.

My list of gripes with Vista:
- Annoying OK box after ejecting devices (like W2000) rather than the baloon used in XP/7/10
- Can't use differing display vendors (Nvidia + AMD cards in one rig), but this is minor and rarely ever needed
- Explorer's folder type discovery, which I always disable right after install.

That it, I'd take Vista over Win7 any day and I hope KernelEx project from Win32 will allow me to return to it on more machines.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Octal450 said:

- Annoying OK box after ejecting devices (like W2000)

-Easily solved thru installing of USB safely remove (I think there are some similar free tools available too)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, Octal450 said:

- Explorer's folder type discovery, which I always disable right after install.

Please tell how did you do it ? Mine keeps getting back after restart on SP2. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]

"FolderType"="NotSpecified" - doesn't help

P.S. No such issue with SP1 

Edited by Dixel
added P.S.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2020 at 10:04 AM, Win10-Hater said:

@windowsvistadude512 Because 5 is not a multiple of 4, and that laptop has only 2 ram channels. Equal amounts of memory should be fitted in both ram channels for best performance and ensuring that your PC isn't screwed up.

My laptop be like: why do i have 5gb ram in me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally, now I have a computer that supports Vista. I have to give special thanks to @Win10-Hater for selling his Pentium D desktop (he plans to replace it soon with his own custom desktop that he will build within the next 2 months, according to what he said). He upgraded the HDD on it to an SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO) and I upgraded the Pentium D 915 to a 945, and I will use this computer for Vista and retro stuff. I have a dualboot of Windows 2000 Pro and Vista Ultimate x86 on it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My Specs: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Toshiba MK3261GSYN 298 GB HDD  Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz  e6430 atg laptop

Ive Been Useng Vista off and on for the past year and i finally decided in 2021 i would Switch to vista full time and its been great so far it runs fast on my laptop from 2012:D

Edited by VistaEX
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

@VistaEX Why are you switching OSes every now and then? If you like Vista, stay with Vista.

 

On 12/26/2020 at 9:14 AM, D.Draker said:

-Easily solved thru installing of USB safely remove (I think there are some similar free tools available too)

Yes, there is this free utility named USB Disk Eject 1.3.0.6 that does the job very well. Notifications are displayed as balloon tooltips.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, VistaEX said:

 
My Windows Update experience Is A 10/10 My Windows Vista experience Is 10/10:D
My Specs: Intel HD Graphics 4000  Toshiba 298 GB HDD  Intel Core I5  Dell E6430 ATG

Yay.thumb.JPG.7c92556ab196741d61ec57a35135a4da.JPGitYay.thumb.JPG.1d3cc35c53e734e86cb51d8d06361b62.JPG

Exactly HOW did you get Windows Update to work again without the possibility of breaking something? I'm curious.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, k24a1 said:

Exactly HOW did you get Windows Update to work again without the possibility of breaking something? I'm curious.

go to MDL (my digital life) forums and search in the vista related topic

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

go to MDL (my digital life) forums and search in the vista related topic

As a base, would I have to use a clean SP2 ISO (original one by MS from 2009) or one with the april 2017 updates preinstalled? I tried the SHA2 patch for Vista on an updated ISO and I believe I had issues with it.

Edited by k24a1
clarification needed
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, k24a1 said:

As a base, would I have to use a clean SP2 ISO (original one by MS from 2009) or one with the april 2017 updates preinstalled? I tried the SHA2 patch for Vista on an updated ISO and I believe I had issues with it.

I'm using an original ISO from MSDN and I have troubles too

The first time I try to check for updates it works, then it just hangs and nothing happens

edit: You can use an updated ISO 

Edited by winvispixp
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, winvispixp said:

I'm using an original ISO from MSDN and I have troubles too

The first time I try to check for updates it works, then it just hangs and nothing happens

Did you have the patch installed though? I think original ISOs need to have a few updates installed to fix the hanging issue

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, k24a1 said:

Did you have the patch installed though? I think original ISOs need to have a few updates installed to fix the hanging issue

I had all the needed updates, read that topic like 5 times and the readme even more 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...