Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

21 hours ago, Dixel said:

I have had a very sad experience with HP laptop in 2007 . In fact , I hate HP - it's utter junk in my opinion ! For those who are lazy to read , I'll make this short: I had bought a quite expensive laptop it was approx 1500 Euro in 2007 , let me remind about the inflation , it's like 2500 or so nowadays.

It was an expensive gift from me to myself for my jubilee. So one could guess how I started to hate Hewlett - Packard when it literally caught fire , right after 1 year warranty , almost at my next birthday.

Yes , that's right , it was burning , it's videochip to be precise . Nvidia 8600GT 512mb with fast (by that standards) DDR2 128bit memory .

HP cheaped out on the cooling system , as I was told by repairmen .

Did it run Vista (I'm estimating it ran Vista Home Premium) properly or did it heat up all the time?

Btw, my dad's friend also had an HP laptop (HP Pavilion dv6000 to be precise, it had an AMD Turion 64 x2, some Nvidia GPU, dunno which, 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM and Vista Home Premium on an 80GB HDD) and he ran it until 2017 with no issues whatsoever when the motherboard burnt. A repairman told that the laptop suffered from liquid damage and also that HP cheaped out on the cooler. 

End result: The HP's mobo burned and burnt a hole in my dad's friend's pocket. But I have started to like more recent HP laptops such as their Elitebooks and Probooks from 2010-2015.

3 hours ago, cc333 said:

...512 MB of RAM and 3.0 GHz Pentium D, running Vista RTM (SP0);   back in early 2007, these specs were considered modest...

Hello , really !?!? I think 512MB RAM is more like 2004 - 2005 , sorry if I'm mistaken , though . I'm from Europe . In 2007 we had 1gb DDR2 as a bare minimum even on cheap models. At our local stores most were 2GB and expensive ones - 4GB . I had Toshiba Satellite A50 with 512 of RAM in 2004 and it was NOT a gaming laptop , it was a budget model with Intel graphics and a tiny ATA HDD. 

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Did it run Vista (I'm estimating it ran Vista Home Premium) properly or did it heat up all the time?

Btw, my dad's friend also had an HP laptop (HP Pavilion dv6000 to be precise, it had an AMD Turion 64 x2, some Nvidia GPU, dunno which, 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM and Vista Home Premium on an 80GB HDD) and he ran it until 2017 with no issues whatsoever when the motherboard burnt. A repairman told that the laptop suffered from liquid damage and also that HP cheaped out on the cooler. 

End result: The HP's mobo burned and burnt a hole in my dad's friend's pocket. But I have started to like more recent HP laptops such as their Elitebooks and Probooks from 2010-2015.

Yep , you're right , Vista Home Premium ! I do not remember the exact model . Yes , it was HP Pavilion with a thin remote control .  The temps were fine , esp. at idle , I remember I was playing Dungeon Siege 2 when it caught fire . I never had it overheated . It was standing on my table , the air conditiong was on.

P.S. You see , the same as I was told "HP cheaped out on the cooler". I also had an HP printer which went bad after a year ! They lost a customer ,

I do not by anything from them since .

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

How did I forget about Sony Vaio?

You also forgot Toshiba ! 

This is my list of quality/compatibilty/preference PCs and laptops with Vista (I've had experince with each brand)

1. Siemens PC and laptops (later became just "Fujitsu") 

2. Philips and Siemens monitors (I mean in the old days , good quality and brilliant picture)

3. Toshiba notebooks 

4. Sony notebooks

5. Dell notebooks (Win2000 - Vista era only) and some of their expensive monitors with Samsung screen (from 2006 - 2007)

Everything else ..... hmmmm .... nah ....

21 hours ago, Dixel said:

Hello , really !?!? I think 512MB RAM is more like 2004 - 2005 , sorry if I'm mistaken , though . I'm from Europe . In 2007 we had 1gb DDR2 as a bare minimum even on cheap models. At our local stores most were 2GB and expensive ones - 4GB . I had Toshiba Satellite A50 with 512 of RAM in 2004 and it was NOT a gaming laptop , it was a budget model with Intel graphics and a tiny ATA HDD. 

Well, OK.  I think I'm misremembering, and it did come with 1 GB, not 512 MB.

Nevertheless, it *should've* been fast, but for some reason, it wasn't, and I never could figure out why.  All I knew was that XP performed much better on it, so that's what I used.

Maybe it was because it was SP0?

c

4 hours ago, cc333 said:

Maybe it was because it was SP0?

I didn't have any problems with "SP0" , except that it somehow limited some games in terms of video memory . I mean it did have that weird limit with newer games that needed more than 512mb of VRAM . I'm talking about both 32 and 64 bit . That was fixed in SP1 . As for the speed , I had superfetch and indexing disabled and everything was smooth (with SP or without), very similar to XP , I agree that XP (out of the box) could be faster in theory , I think it's because it had less unneeded services , but they can be disabled in Vista. The thing that really bothered me - freaking white folder background (which coudn't be changed by a simple user). What about you ?

Edit : I too replaced Vista on my laptop for some time because I couldn't change the background . But I went for Win2000 Pro. 

Edited by Dixel

On 11/30/2020 at 8:41 PM, TECHGEEK said:

I got my Dell latitude only for the following reasons:

It is upgradeable to upto 16 GB RAM and  i7 quad core variants ( Of course you can toss in an SSD) but I went with the stock i5 2520m and 8 GB RAM as that's enough for me. I use it for schoolwork, virtualisation, light photo and audio editing etc. and it does the job very fast! In addition, I needed a laptop with windows Vista support so I went for this.

Just wanted to addon, according to the product brochure of this Latitude it is upgradeable to only any i7-2640m (the fastest Sandy Bridge dual core CPU) and 8 gigs of RAM, however, 16 gigs of RAM are recognised fully and I have seen a Youtube video on how to upgrade the e5420 to an i7-2820qm, however, it can cause some TDP and cooling issues if used very heavily.

11 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Still waiting on the M5000M

do you plan on using it on windows vista? if you do.. where did you find a vista driver? on the nvidia website the best compatible gpu I found was an ancient gtx 680mx

1 hour ago, winvispixp said:

do you plan on using it on windows vista? if you do.. where did you find a vista driver? on the nvidia website the best compatible gpu I found was an ancient gtx 680mx

Yes, he plans on using Vista on this and I found drivers for it on the Nvidia website, so that will not be an issue

5 hours ago, winvispixp said:

Burd has a mobile 1060, which is able to work (somewhat) on Vista

I've even gotten 970M drivers to install on XP, but I was unable to test, because Optimus.

Also, I've discovered the M5000M seller never took the money, never shipped the item, and never said anything about it.