Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

6 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

I'm not a gamer but if it ever get bored using my computer for lengthy schoolwork/virtualisation, I play inkball/ purble place LoL!!

Hey , c'mon , I thought I'm not a gamer ! xD

5 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

.. also like shadows under icons, as it helps with reading icon text on a lighter background

Yes , but in Vista they are gentle and nice , delicate .

On 12/1/2020 at 9:38 PM, TECHGEEK said:

IMHO, Windows 7 looked a bit less beautiful than Vista with its fat minimize, maximize and close buttons whereas Vista looked proper with smaller, thinner ones. Also, Win7 performed slower than Vista (or even 8.x) on exact same hardware and I'm sure many other Vista users on this forum have felt that way. But no denying that Win7 was one of the best versions of Windows.

I agree that W7 is overrated compared to Vista. Vista was just ahead of its time, not inherently bad. I never had any issues when I used it daily. Personally, I use W7 as it's the last good version of Windows and modern enough to run anything I need to. I don't see the extended kernel changing that really but it is a neat effort.

DreamScene is one of the few things I think that can't be natively done on Vista, and it doesn't work in a VM so one day I will get it on real hardware and experience that. Worth running just for that.

I like the W7 Explorer much better than the Vista one. I don't like how it expands to everything and the navigation on the left is terrible. But I've heard the search is better.

W7 is better, though of course I have Libraries and Homegroup and all that junk disabled in the Registry so all I see is Desktop, Computer, and Network. I have a lot of mapped drives so that makes it easy.

And the dual lock and power action on the Vista start menu is nice, but not a deal breaker I guess.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, Dixel said:

Hi , first off , I'm sorry to remind : this top is : Share your Windows >Vista< experience! and not about "the look of 7".

There's too much to write about the differencies . Some of the ugliest things about Win 7 are fonts (yes that "true" type ones) - washed out and blurry , oversaturated UI colours , like for ravers at the acid party. I always had the best monitors available , so I can tell. Also , sound , oh boy. It's nowhere near Vista's punchy and sharp audio quality . I have Asus D2 , so I can also tell the difference . Win 7 has fat , thick , flat , ugly taskbar . etc , etc , etc .

No comment about your other comments, but this doesn't really qualify as a discounter.

Yeah, I hate that too, but it's easy to change. Taskbar Properties -> Never combine / use small icons.

I don't see how people on W7/8/10 can live w/o that. That was the worst thing ever that they did, makes PCs as hard to use as Macs almost!!

So, the default action is bad, but with a registry tweak or GPO you can mitigate this mess.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, Dixel said:

P.S. Compare Vista's wonderful orb and Win 7 (I don't even know how to name that "acid something").

I've always noticed that, but not really preferred one over the other...

If the best of Vista and the best of 7 could be combined, and maybe the best of W2K, we'd have the ultimate Windows...

4 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

I like the W7 Explorer much better than the Vista one. I don't like how it expands to everything and the navigation on the left is terrible. But I've heard the search is better.

W7 is better, though of course I have Libraries and Homegroup and all that junk disabled in the Registry so all I see is Desktop, Computer, and Network. I have a lot of mapped drives so that makes it easy.

And the dual lock and power action on the Vista start menu is nice, but not a deal breaker I guess.

I have mostly the same opinions as you, but you're going off-topic quite a bit. Please share your Vista PC's specs as this topic is dedicated towards it rather than Vista vs. 7 stuff

Also, I hate the auto-expanding of the folder tree, but to cope up with that, I hide the folder tree most of the time and pop it open and contract it only when I need to go to somewhere like the Recycle Bin or my user folder without going to the desktop or the Start menu.

Edited by TECHGEEK

8 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

... you're going off-topic quite a bit. Please share your Vista ...

Dear TECHGEEK , please moderate this topic and cleanse it from pollution regarding Vista vs. 7/10 stuff , or create a new one , for those that in such painful lust to compare , thank you.

1 minute ago, Dixel said:

Dear TECHGEEK , please moderate this topic and cleanse it from pollution regarding Vista vs. 7/10 stuff , or create a new one , for those that in such painful lust to compare , thank you.

How can I moderate? I can't remove or edit others' posts

On 12/2/2020 at 9:00 PM, TECHGEEK said:

I notice there are quite a number of you members who have replied to my topic who have Vista on Dell computers, myself included.

So, what you do think of Lenovo Thinkpads, HP Elitebooks/Probooks or ThinkCentres/Elitedesks/Prodesks?

I have nothing against Dell , I had a Dell Vostro laptop with Vista x86 (sorry , don't remember the exact specs, it was in 2008 . Intel CPU (something Core Duo , 4GB RAM DDR2 , 250GB HDD) , But everything inside was NOT made by Dell . Also, I had several Dell monitors and not sure if Dell even made the enclosure . The main parts had Samsung label on them .

I think you should definitely add Siemens to your list. The majority of Vista PCs in Europe were Siemens , most of them Made in Germany , using German technology and their own design and layout (unlike HP and many others). Their motherboards were also developed in Germany. It's so sad it's in the past , though I've read the Siemens PCs became just "Fujitsu" and still being produced in Germany from a high quality parts , I can't comment on this because I've never had them. 

Hopefully this is relevant enough :)

My experiences with Vista over the years have been mixed.

My first experience was with an eMachines/Walmart special, with 512 MB of RAM and 3.0 GHz Pentium D, running Vista RTM (SP0);   back in early 2007, these specs were considered modest, but decent enough for a budget machine (not woefully inadequate as they seem nowadays :lol: )

It was a pretty pokey Vista machine, and actually crashed quite often (including right out of the box the first time we'd ever used it, as I recall!).  Once I downgraded it to XP, though, it was much better.

My second experience was about a year or so later, when I got a Dell Studio 1737.  Same deal, even though Vista was at either SP1 or SP2 by then, and thus much improved, it still didn't run right.  It took some doing, but I managed to downgrade that to XP as well, although it still actually didn't help much.  I ended up trying Ubuntu on it, and when that ended up being slow and broken too, I wrote off the laptop as being somehow defective and put it away.  I still have it somewhere, so I may revisit it at some point and see if I can figure out why it was so flaky.

Anyway, so my first experiences with Vista were thus, to put it mildly, lousy.  And needless to say, this biased me against it for some time, and I never really wanted to accept it as a viable replacement for XP, which was still quite popular then (I wasn't alone, as many others simply skipped Vista altogether and waited for 7).

However, not eager to give up on it completely, I decided to try once again, this time on the nice, speedy Mac Pro I had gotten for my birthday in 2009, and you know what?  It was actually pretty good for once!  Of course, by then, I had moved on to 7 (and, of course, Mac OS) as my main OS, but still, I could nevertheless say with confidence that I used Vista and it didn't stink because I finally had a machine that was powerful enough to run it well :)

Fast forward to a few years ago when I got two older Dell laptops, a Latitude D620 and a D630, both of which would've been considered decent midrange machines in the late XP and Vista eras, and I decided to try Vista on one of them.  The experience wasn't quite as good as it was on the Mac Pro, but it was still extremely decent.

Anyway, the TL;DR of this is that my earliest experiences with Vista were lousy, but as hardware improved (along with my ability to upgrade it), my experiences became much better.  I've never really felt the need to use it as my daily driver Windows version, primarily because I like XP's UI better, and 7 can run more modern programs that Vista can't, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it.

c

15 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I have nothing against Dell , I had a Dell Vostro laptop with Vista x86 (sorry , don't remember the exact specs, it was in 2008 . Intel CPU (something Core Duo , 4GB RAM DDR2 , 250GB HDD) , But everything inside was NOT made by Dell . Also, I had several Dell monitors and not sure if Dell even made the enclosure . The main parts had Samsung label on them .

I think you should definitely add Siemens to your list. The majority of Vista PCs in Europe were Siemens , most of them Made in Germany , using German technology and their own design and layout (unlike HP and many others). Their motherboards were also developed in Germany. It's so sad it's in the past , though I've read the Siemens PCs became just "Fujitsu" and still being produced in Germany from a high quality parts , I can't comment on this because I've never had them. 

The Siemens brand was non-existent in India, AFAIK. But I am thinking that it was one of the top-class brands of PC's as I have seen a YT video by Youtuber Psivewri on a Lifebook that was made by Fujitsu Siemens.

Dell's laptops and desktops are superb, but yeah, some parts were not made by Dell itself. Also, was Vista a good performer with that HDD on the Vostro (I'm estimating that it's a 4200 rpm HDD)?

4 minutes ago, cc333 said:

My first experience was with an eMachines/Walmart special, with 512 MB of RAM and 3.0 GHz Pentium D, running Vista RTM (SP0);   back in early 2007, these specs were considered modest, but decent enough for a budget machine (not woefully inadequate as they seem nowadays :lol: )

It was a pretty pokey Vista machine, and actually crashed quite often (including right out of the box the first time we'd ever used it, as I recall!).  Once I downgraded it to XP, though, it was much better.

Pentium D desktop?

Same here! Even I have a Pentium D (2.8 GHz, Pentium D 915) desktop from 2007 that run Vista Business SP2 x64 blazing fast! It has 3 gigs of RAM and is my secondary computer.

It seldom crashes but when it crashes, it shows errors relating to HDD problem. Have to replace that 5400 rpm 160GB Seagate HDD with an SSD soon to make Vista faster and make it crash no more.

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

The Siemens brand was non-existent in India, AFAIK. But I am thinking that it was one of the top-class brands of PC's as I have seen a YT video by Youtuber Psivewri on a Lifebook that was made by Fujitsu Siemens.

Dell's laptops and desktops are superb, but yeah, some parts were not made by Dell itself. Also, was Vista a good performer with that HDD on the Vostro (I'm estimating that it's a 4200 rpm HDD)?

After switching the famous "superfetch" off it was fantastic  , fast , but not as fast as on Siemens , I think because Siemens used more advanced German HDDs , I even think they still in production labeled Fujitsu, yes. I mean Fujitsu HDDs , not some other 3rd party brands . I also think you should add Sony , they were good and also used Fujitsu HDDs (at least some of them) , they were expensive , I agree .

1 minute ago, Dixel said:

After switching the famous "superfetch" off it was fantastic  , fast , but not as fast as on Siemens , I think because Siemens used more advanced German HDDs , I even think they still in production labeled Fujitsu, yes. I mean Fujitsu HDDs , not some other 3rd party brands . I also think you should add Sony , they were good and also used Fujitsu HDDs (at least some of them) , they were expensive , I agree .

How did I forget about Sony Vaio?

Btw, I almost got a Sony Vaio last month when I decided to choose the Latitude e5420 for using Vista as that Vaio had an Ivy Bridge i5-3337u that was actually slower than the i5-2520m on the Latitude. But the design was really attractive, no denying that.