Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

I notice there are quite a number of you members who have replied to my topic who have Vista on Dell computers, myself included.

So, what you do think of Lenovo Thinkpads, HP Elitebooks/Probooks or ThinkCentres/Elitedesks/Prodesks?

Edited by TECHGEEK

3 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

I notice there are quite a number of you members who have replied to my topic who have Vista on Dell computers, myself included.

So, what do think of Lenovo Thinkpads, HP Elitebooks/Probooks or ThinkCentres/Elitedesks/Prodesks?

Elitebook good

5 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

@asdf2345, have you received the upgrade parts for your Elitebook? 

Also, please share a system properties screenshot if you can. 

Seller is from China, and I don't even know if they even shipped it yet. I'm assuming it's being shipped since I ordered it over a week ago and got expedited shipping, but I never got a your order has shipped email.

Edited by asdf2345

20 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

What I meant was this was porting taskbar pinning and the navigation pane to Vista, either with some modding of explorer.exe or even using a early 7 beta explorer.exe Also, another thing that I'd like in Vista is Aero Snap, but many programs have ported it, so I don't really need to ask

I don't know if I'm the only one , but Aero Snap , Aero shake , shadows under icons (yes , that thick (bold) ugly Win7 shadows , were the first things I disabled when I tested Win7 on my new laptop a decade ago (which ,sadly, came with it). Also , never pinned anything to my taskabar , I don't know why , perhaps it's just a habbit.  

Well , as it seems , I'm not the only one who wants this off , here's a guide (for true Vista lovers , which for some reason need Win7  for testing)

how to disable it , you're welcome :

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3069-aero-snap-turn-off.html

On 12/3/2020 at 4:31 AM, TECHGEEK said:

@Dixel, what are the games that you play on your Vista SP1 computer? Just curious

Oh , it's no secret . Some of them are : Hellgate:London ( I like all those wonderful demons), Diablo II and it's addon , Sacred 1 (frequent) and 2 (rarely , I deleted it , it didn't entertain me enough to ever get back). I like the first one more , the 1st is kinda more realistic and bloody, there are programs that can make it run in full HD. Actually , I'm not a die hard gamer .  Also, I played Road Redemption DX11, but on x64 system , deleted too , I think it needs more tracks in free game mode. 

But it's kinda reminded me of SEGA's Road Rash which I played in 1991.

And what about you ?

Edited by Dixel

11 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

So, what do think of Lenovo Thinkpads, HP Elitebooks/Probooks or ThinkCentres/Elitedesks/Prodesks?

I have had a very sad experience with HP laptop in 2007 . In fact , I hate HP - it's utter junk in my opinion ! For those who are lazy to read , I'll make this short: I had bought a quite expensive laptop it was approx 1500 Euro in 2007 , let me remind about the inflation , it's like 2500 or so nowadays.

It was an expensive gift from me to myself for my jubilee. So one could guess how I started to hate Hewlett - Packard when it literally caught fire , right after 1 year warranty , almost at my next birthday.

Yes , that's right , it was burning , it's videochip to be precise . Nvidia 8600GT 512mb with fast (by that standards) DDR2 128bit memory .

HP cheaped out on the cooling system , as I was told by repairmen . It was so expensive to repair it , so I decided to buy Siemens instead (made in Germany)  and it was very good , fast and durable , with Vista , of course .

Edit Forgot to mention specs .

DDR2 4gb RAM

Nvidia 8600GT 512mb

Intel  Mobile CPU (don't remember the exact model , I think Core Duo , but it was fast enough)

Two separate HDDs (each 250GB)

Edited by Dixel

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Oh , it's no secret . Some of them are : Hellgate:London ( I like all those wonderful demons), Diablo II and it's addon , Sacred 1 (frequent) and 2 (rarely , to the point I will delete it soon). I like the first one more , the 1st is kinda more realistic and bloody, there are programs that can make it run in full HD. Dead or Alive V (occasionally) and some more . Actually , I'm not a die hard gamer .  Also, I played Road Redemption DX11, but on x64 system . It's kinda reminds me of SEGA's Road Rash which I played in 1991. And what about you ?

I'm not a gamer but if it ever get bored using my computer for lengthy schoolwork/virtualisation, I play inkball/ purble place LoL!!

Edited by TECHGEEK

2 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Should the extended kernel introduce the ability for Haswell+ Intel CPU-based systems to work properly, would any of you recommend this build for a killer Windows Vista PC?

Specs:

i7 4790 (base speed: 3.6 GHz and max. turbo speed 4 GHz, 4 cores and 8 threads)

32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

GPU - Would an AMD Radeon R9 series GPU do? I dunno.....pls suggest

Mobo - Would and ASUS B85M-G be ok (It has Vista drivers)?

Case - Corsair 110R

PSU - Cooler Master MWE 55OW PSU?

SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB

HDD - WD Blue  1 TB 7200 rpm

I've not calculated the net cost.

I'd recommend you go Z67 and a 3770K or X79 and an unlocked Ivy Bridge E3 1xxx series Xeon instead, because it has better USB 3.0 compatibility. Even though there are generic 3.0 drivers that work with Intel USB 3, there can sometimes be issues with the HCSwitch. Also IPC is virtually unchanged between the two.

For a R9 GPU, yeah, it should work, but if it's a R9 3xx you'll be stuck with modded 15.100 drivers, unable to downgrade or upgrade. I'd recommend Nvidia, because drivers are better and the 980 Ti is a better performer.

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

I don't know if I'm the only one , but Aero Snap , Aero shake , shadows under icons (yes , that thick (bold) ugly Win7 shadows , were the first things I disabled when I tested Win7 on my new laptop a decade ago (which ,sadly, came with it). Also , never pinned anything to my taskabar , I don't know why , perhaps it's just a habbit.  

I've used 7+ for like 9-10 years, so I'm kinda used to these features, except the abomination known as Aero shake.

I also like shadows under icons, as it helps with reading icon text on a lighter background

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

I have had a very sad experience with HP laptop in 2007 . In fact , I hate HP - it's utter junk in my opinion ! For those who are lazy to read , I'll make this short: I had bought a quite expensive laptop it was approx 1500 Euro in 2007 , let me remind about the inflation , it's like 2500 or so nowadays.

It was an expensive gift from me to myself for my jubilee. So one could guess how I started to hate Hewlett - Packard when it literally caught fire , right after 1 year warranty , almost at my next birthday.

Yes , that's right , it was burning , it's videochip to be precise . Nvidia 8600GT 512mb with fast (by that standards) DDR2 128bit memory .

HP cheaped out on the cooling system , as I was told by repairmen . It was so expensive to repair it , so I decided to buy Siemens instead (made in Germany)  and it was very good , fast and durable , with Vista , of course .

Edit Forgot to mention specs .

DDR2 4gb RAM

Nvidia 8600GT 512mb

Intel  Mobile CPU (don't remember the exact model , I think Core Duo , but it was fast enough)

Two separate HDDs (each 250GB)

My 8770w runs pretty cool, was testing it out with some BF4 yesterday, and temps were in the 60-70 range, compared to my MSI laptop which had temps in the 80-95 range in BF4. And that's without repasting my 8770w and doing proper dust removal (Got me some NT-H2)

Once I upgrade the GPU, temps will be higher, but from what I've heard, they should be in the low-mid 80s at most.

1 hour ago, asdf2345 said:

For a R9 GPU, yeah, it should work, but if it's a R9 3xx you'll be stuck with modded 15.100 drivers, unable to downgrade or upgrade. I'd recommend Nvidia, because drivers are better and the 980 Ti is a better performer.

I meant to say the R9 280x GPU. Drivers for Vista are available on the AMD support page.