Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

7 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

Here's proof from Quora

Ah well, that (the origin, and the fact that you call - BTW not funny - jokes "proof) says it all, you convinced me, all the machines around running just fine with 3, 5, 6, 12 GB of RAM aren't.

jaclaz

You misunderstand me.

I was NOT saying that 3,5,6,12 etc. GB of RAM is always dangerous. I was just saying that it can be a little risky, and that little risk could intensify sometimes (although that is rare).

Edited by TECHGEEK
strikethrough

Oh, no, I did not misunderstand you, rest assured :).

You wrote what you wrote:

4 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Because 5 is not a multiple of 4, and that laptop has only 2 ram channels. Equal amounts of memory should be fitted in both ram channels for best performance and ensuring that your PC isn't screwed up.

and I doubted it, to which you provided proof by posting a couple senseless (and not-funny) jokes coming from a Quora answer (without providing a link to it, i.e. additionally completely out of context) :

https://www.quora.com/How-good-is-12-GB-of-RAM?

Nothing more, nothing less.

jaclaz

14 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Oh, no, I did not misunderstand you, rest assured :).

You wrote what you wrote:

and I doubted it, to which you provided proof by posting a couple senseless (and not-funny) jokes coming from a Quora answer (without providing a link to it, i.e. additionally completely out of context) :

https://www.quora.com/How-good-is-12-GB-of-RAM?

Nothing more, nothing less.

jaclaz

I was foolish enough to believe in what some guy on Quora said, sorry for my mistakes. 

Now, let's stop discussing on stuff that's off topic.

Edited by TECHGEEK

5 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

I was foolish enough to believe in what some guy on Quora said, sorry for my mistakes. 

Now, let's stop discussing on stuff that's off topic.

Sure :), but you started it :whistle:.

BTW, and JFYI deleting posts is usually frowned upon, if you wrote something that you later find to be incorrect, it is better to format the text by striking it, so that people can understand what happened.

This is an example of something that is striken. 

jaclaz

16 hours ago, windowsvistadude512 said:

I never used vista before, only in 2015. Everyone hated vista because of it was "unstable" and people use solitare crashing windows. But it happens only in VM's because vista doesnt like VM's. Some software and games stopped supporting vista, but extended kernel helps. Yes, some games cant run on vista, but hey, the vista support community works really hard to get newer versions of software to run on vista. Oh, also, here are my specs:

Intel i-5 520M

5GB Ram

Intel HD Graphics

240GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Windows Vista English 64-Bit

Vista runs very well on these specs!

Forgot to say, i use Dell Latitude E6410

image.png.66f43b658e8ceae91e1519c227719106.png

What do you use the e6410 for? Is it your main computer?

1 hour ago, TECHGEEK said:

Yeah lol.

Btw, have you ever used Vista?

Naah, JFYI:

but - to be fair - with the Service Packs it is not that bad (and as I see it Windows 7 is actually a Vista service Pack 3+)

jaclaz

9 hours ago, Dixel said:

Your observation is absolutely right , Vista audio drivers sound much better than the drivers that were meant for 7 , but not to the point of full satisfaction , not even close. In fact, Asus D2 Vista driver can be used without signature enforcement on 7 , but yet again , the audio is not punchy . It still sounds sandy and flat . Did you notice that Vista's audio drivers use DX10 when running on 7 ? Perhaps this is the reason they somewhat sound better.

What I meant by Vista audio drivers, is copying the audio driver files from Vista's %windir%\System32\drivers to 7's %windir%\system32\drivers

14 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I think Vista could benefit from some improvements in the 7 explorer, like taskbar pinning and the file menu or navigation menu, or whatever it is on the left of the file explorer on 7+

This topic slowly turns into Vista vs. 7 nonsense ...

4 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

What I meant by Vista audio drivers, is copying the audio driver files from Vista's %windir%\System32\drivers to 7's %windir%\system32\drivers

Dear asdf2345 ,  I really appreciate your advice , but why would I wanna do that ? I see you are using Server 2008R2 , it's your choice and I respect it .

But I use Windows Vista on all of my PCs. And this topic is about our pleasant experience with it. Please tell us about your experience with Vista.

15 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

I agree with you 100% that Windows 7 was worse than Vista in some respects, but I liked it, only lesser than Vista. 

Now that's just my opinion. Let's not pick up a fight

No fight was intended , you started this marvellous topic about Vista , suddenly there are people that say other (newer WIndows) are somewhat ok too . And this is said among us (!) , Vista die-hard fans  . How can it be ? This has been discussed a million times , go to Win7/8/9/10/11/12 forum and discuss it there , besides going off-topic is simply not polite. 

18 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Dear asdf2345 ,  I really appreciate your advice , but why would I wanna do that ? I see you are using Server 2008R2 , it's your choice and I respect it .

But I use Windows Vista on all of my PCs. And this topic is about our pleasant experience with it. Please tell us about your experience with Vista.

I was just saying that it was possible.

I'd say more about my experiences with Vista, but there are a couple kinks with the extended kernel that I'd like to see be worked out before I commit to using Vista in 2021 (Or maybe even 2020)

11 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I think Vista could benefit from some improvements in the 7 explorer, like taskbar pinning and the file menu or navigation menu, or whatever it is on the left of the file explorer on 7+

What I meant was this was porting taskbar pinning and the navigation pane to Vista, either with some modding of explorer.exe or even using a early 7 beta explorer.exe

Also, another thing that I'd like in Vista is Aero Snap, but many programs have ported it, so I don't really need to ask