Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

Just now, burd said:

Only because it was overrated after Vista's miserable launch , i would say 8.1 and Vista are the best and then 7.

Exactly. People thought Windows 7 was holy just because it got released after Vista which was very underrated.

Just now, TECHGEEK said:

Exactly. People thought Windows 7 was holy just because it got released after Vista which was very underrated.

Also im saying this having used Windows 8.1 for like 60minutes in total , its the most polished windows with modern features while still retaining somewhat of a windows feeling compared to windows 10 , thats straight up trash imo.

1 minute ago, burd said:

i would say 8.1 and Vista are the best and then 7.

Same here, I would say Vista and 8.x are the best and then 7 and 2000. I did not like Xp as much as 7 as it had BIG, chiclet-style window buttons and a boring default theme.

Just now, burd said:

Also im saying this having used Windows 8.1 for like 60minutes in total , its the most polished windows with modern features while still retaining somewhat of a windows feeling compared to windows 10 , thats straight up trash imo.

Yes exactly, but the default theme with no window transparency is not great (but I know this can easily corrected) .

4 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

8 I get but just curious - what is so different about the look of 7?

Hi , first off , I'm sorry to remind : this top is : Share your Windows >Vista< experience! and not about "the look of 7".

There's too much to write about the differencies . Some of the ugliest things about Win 7 are fonts (yes that "true" type ones) - washed out and blurry , oversaturated UI colours , like for ravers at the acid party. I always had the best monitors available , so I can tell. Also , sound , oh boy. It's nowhere near Vista's punchy and sharp audio quality . I have Asus D2 , so I can also tell the difference . Win 7 has fat , thick , flat , ugly taskbar . etc , etc , etc .

P.S. Compare Vista's wonderful orb and Win 7 (I don't even know how to name that "acid something").

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

...no denying that Win7 was one of the best versions of Windows.

I'm sorry , I do not agree . I use Windows starting from Win 93 , and I do not agree . In my opinion the best are Win 2000 (for it's time) and Vista. Always hated XP . XP is like oversaturated and bloated Win 2000. Win 7 is somewhat like Vista after unsuccessful plastic surgery and filled with toxins after that (I guess explains why it is slower).

Just now, Dixel said:

I'm sorry , I do not agree . I use Windows starting from Win 93 , and I do not agree . In my opinion the best are Win 2000 (for it's time) and Vista. Always hated XP . XP is like oversaturated and bloated Win 2000. Win 7 is somewhat like Vista after unsuccessful plastic surgery and filled with toxins after that (I guess explains why it is slower).

I agree with you 100% that Windows 7 was worse than Vista in some respects, but I liked it, only lesser than Vista. 

Now that's just my opinion. Let's not pick up a fight

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Also , sound , oh boy. It's nowhere near Vista's punchy and sharp audio quality . I have Asus D2 , so I can also tell the difference . Win 7 has fat , thick , flat , ugly taskbar . etc , etc , etc .

I have gotten the Vista audio driver working on 7+, but it requires driver signature enforcement to be disabled, so I haven't been using it, even though it sounds so much better, even on an ALC1220

Also, the taskbar issues can be easily fixed

Edited by asdf2345

53 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

I agree with you 100% that Windows 7 was worse than Vista in some respects, but I liked it, only lesser than Vista. 

Now that's just my opinion. Let's not pick up a fight

I think Vista could benefit from some improvements in the 7 explorer, like taskbar pinning and the file menu or navigation menu, or whatever it is on the left of the file explorer on 7+

3 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I have gotten the Vista audio driver working on 7+, but it requires driver signature enforcement to be disabled, so I haven't been using it, even though it sounds so much better, even on an ALC1220

Also, the taskbar issues can be easily fixed

Your observation is absolutely right , Vista audio drivers sound much better than the drivers that were meant for 7 , but not to the point of full satisfaction , not even close. In fact, Asus D2 Vista driver can be used without signature enforcement on 7 , but yet again , the audio is not punchy . It still sounds sandy and flat . Did you notice that Vista's audio drivers use DX10 when running on 7 ? Perhaps this is the reason they somewhat sound better. 

P.S.

I had noticed many issues with 7 (like literally trembling opened windows , to the point where I can't even close them and the whole explorer just hangs up) 

Sorry . I'm not gonna argue about the other Win7 issues , like taskbar , if you choose to use Win7 (or whatever) - it's your choice . Yet again , in this topic we discuss our pleasant experience with Vista , not 7 or the such.

I first used Windows Vista on a eMachines T3000 series tower my dad got for my brothers in 2008 or 2009. It  had dedicated graphics (ATI i think) and it ran it very well. Used it to play shockwave games mostly. I regret getting rid of it in 2013. In 2018 i had Windows Vista running on a cheap 480gb Patriot Burst SSD i bought off NewEgg on sale for about $55 for my Toshiba Satellite L67D-S7052. The laptop had a 2.9 ghz AMD N640 dual core CPU i had upgraded to a 2.2ghz AMD N970 quad core cpu. Windows Vista ran on it so well. The best looking Windows OS IMO.

Edited by Connor McMahon
forgot a sentence

2 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Because 5 is not a multiple of 4, and that laptop has only 2 ram channels. Equal amounts of memory should be fitted in both ram channels for best performance and ensuring that your PC isn't screwed up.

Hmmmm. :dubbio:

jaclaz

Here's proof from Quora:

The dual channel that couldn’t be tale

Once upon a time, a 4gb DIMM and an 8GB DIMM walk together into mother-bar, to drink a bit and grab a byte.

The 4gb DIMM carelessly drops his square-root beer into the 8er’s PCB. It was an accident; the 4 apologized profusely and mani-fold but it wasn’t enough: 8 went mad and started a fight.

High electrical currents he threw to his mate, but the 4 answered even worse: he overclocked the 8 till he could remember no more, then cut his refresh cycles and spilled ionized water in him - the 8 was no more.

So, 8 was bad because of how he reacted, but 4 was even worse because he didn’t stop until 8 ended up in a recycling plant: the 12GBs were bad.

The End

The triple channel tale

3 little but fat 4GB DIMMS went to a museum. The plan was liked so much by them all, that they went static: they needed to refresh as always, but transfers were so fast thanks to the band being so wide, it was so good to see that it was almost a caché.

They played along in unison, and churned TTL flavored snacks ever after. They were good together.

The end

Edited by TECHGEEK