Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

9 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I got the laptop in august 2018 as refurbished one. I bought it just for Vista though :D 

I got my Dell latitude e5420 last month only for installing and using Vista on it. It's my main daily driver now

1 hour ago, TECHGEEK said:

I got my Dell latitude e5420 last month only for installing and using Vista on it. It's my main daily driver now

I too used it as my daily driver, but I use adobe photoshop for my work and Vista just could not serve me. Even if Vista is able to open new version of photoshop, the hardware is too weak for any real work. My daily driver is now:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

32gb ram DDR4-3200

RTX2060

Windows 8.1 Pro

Edited by Jaguarek62

Just now, Jaguarek62 said:

I too used it as my daily driver, but I use adobe photoshop for my work and Vista just could serve me. Even if Vista is able to open new version of photoshop, the hardware is too weak for any real work. My daily driver is now:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

32gb ram DDR4-3200

RTX2060

Windows 8.1 Pro

I am guessing this is a 2018/19 machine, is it correct?

1 minute ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Actually I built it in 2017. I only upgraded my gpu from gtx 1050Ti.

Have you tried to install Vista, or does it not work? I know almost nothing about AMD or Nvidia hardware support for Vista cuz I am an Intel guy (I don't even build computers lol), so I asked

1 minute ago, TECHGEEK said:

Have you tried to install Vista, or does it not work? I know almost nothing about AMD or Nvidia hardware support for Vista cuz I am an Intel guy (I don't even build computers lol), so I asked

No worries. I have not tried, but my guess is that it would not work at all. Rtx 2060 is out of question. Even the 1050 would not work properly with vista due to lack of driver support. I have absolutely no idea how ryzen works with vista, but I use NVME ssd and that would be a problem. Windows 7 works, but got me like 3-4 hours just to set it up (had to use ps/2 keyboard and mouse). Actually now I wonder, would the windows 7 driver for NVME work on vista @win32?

2 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

No worries. I have not tried, but my guess is that it would not work at all. Rtx 2060 is out of question. Even the 1050 would not work properly with vista due to lack of driver support. I have absolutely no idea how ryzen works with vista, but I use NVME ssd and that would be a problem. Windows 7 works, but got me like 3-4 hours just to set it up (had to use ps/2 keyboard and mouse).

Oh ok...

Have you ever run Windows 10 on this machine and if you did, was it a nightmare?

Edited by TECHGEEK

1 minute ago, TECHGEEK said:

Oh ok...

Have you ever run Windows 10 on this machine and if you did, was it a nightmare?

Yeah at first I installed Windows 10 and oh boy. I absolutely HATE when operating system is doing something I did not asked it to do (like forcing Windows defender down my throat..) Windows defender consumed 2-3gb of my ram, constantly crashed vmware, because it was checking the virtual machine harddrive. Then I disabled it, but next windows update enabled it again. I disabled Windows update via the service. Windows somehow enabled the service again. I downloaded winaero tweaker and finally diabled it. windows then worked for like a month. Then nvidia told me that drivers are no longer compatible with this build of windows 10. I updated to then newest 1709 and windows ENABLED DEFENDER AGAIN!!!! IT did corrupt my work vm and that was the point I decided to install Windows 8.1. Since december 2017 my Windows 8.1 copy is running reliable, fast and nothing has gone wild. Windows update has toggle for manual search and install, window defender can be turned on/off and the UI looks way better than Windows 10 crap. I never fully understood why users agreed with such bul*****. Windows 8.1 was hated for metro, but Windows 10 is 900% worse and nobody cares :(

1 hour ago, Jaguarek62 said:

No worries. I have not tried, but my guess is that it would not work at all. Rtx 2060 is out of question. Even the 1050 would not work properly with vista due to lack of driver support. I have absolutely no idea how ryzen works with vista, but I use NVME ssd and that would be a problem. Windows 7 works, but got me like 3-4 hours just to set it up (had to use ps/2 keyboard and mouse). Actually now I wonder, would the windows 7 driver for NVME work on vista @win32?

Ryzen seems to work well if the board has an older AGESA version.

I actually do think it could work with Vista's storport.sys, as there are no missing functions in that case.

What do you use the t41 for? Windows 2000 ?

Yes, as well as NT 4; it's the laptop referenced in my sig.

I think the t530/w530 would do better than the t520/w520 because Ivy Bridge is 22nm and performs as well as Sandy bridge equivalents while using less power and also because Intel HD graphics 4000 is better than hd3000. If you hate the chiclet keyboard then you may be able to replace it with a t520 style 7row keyboard.

There are also discrete graphics options which would make the Intel stuff moot. I don't think the Intel HD 4000 properly supports Vista, forcing me to use XP x64 drivers. Someday, hopefully 7 drivers will be of use but for now...

13 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

No, Intel HD 4000 has drivers that work flawlessly for most other MSFN users who run Vista on Ivy Bridge. Drivers have been shared by @WinClient5270 over at this thread:

Yes, I had forgot about those.

3 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

Nvidia Quadro?

Yes.

On 11/20/2020 at 6:02 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

Yeah at first I installed Windows 10 and oh boy. I absolutely HATE when operating system is doing something I did not asked it to do (like forcing Windows defender down my throat..) Windows defender consumed 2-3gb of my ram, constantly crashed vmware, because it was checking the virtual machine harddrive. Then I disabled it, but next windows update enabled it again. I disabled Windows update via the service. Windows somehow enabled the service again. I downloaded winaero tweaker and finally diabled it. windows then worked for like a month. Then nvidia told me that drivers are no longer compatible with this build of windows 10. I updated to then newest 1709 and windows ENABLED DEFENDER AGAIN!!!! IT did corrupt my work vm and that was the point I decided to install Windows 8.1. Since december 2017 my Windows 8.1 copy is running reliable, fast and nothing has gone wild. Windows update has toggle for manual search and install, window defender can be turned on/off and the UI looks way better than Windows 10 crap. I never fully understood why users agreed with such bul*****. Windows 8.1 was hated for metro, but Windows 10 is 900% worse and nobody cares :(

Yeah, Windows 10 is so bad that I cannot describe my experience in sufficient number of words. I actually wonder what Vista haters think of Windows 10.

People called Vista bloated when Windows 10 is 1000x more bloated than any Windows version

People called Vista unstable and slow when in reality, Windows 10 runs S L U G G I S H L Y even on systems as powerful as yours, just like Windows ME (Memory Eater) and when those people actually ran Vista on slow XP systems with only 256-512 megs of RAM!

True, Vista had its issues such as an improper WGA, but yeah, everything was fixed by April 2009 when SP2 came out. What will M$ do to fix Windows 10?

Update: Revisited Windows ME and found out that on a proper system with decent specs and all correct drivers installed, it ran buttery smooth (more like Vista on capable enough hardware). Most of the issues in WinME seemed to be hardware related (again like Vista RTM).

Edited by Win10-Hater