KernelXE - My Unofficial Windows 2000 Kernel

Ximonite

1 hour ago, windows2 said:

Hi sir, now can I confuse BlackWinCat Extended kernel with KernelXE v0.2.3? Or do I have to reinstall Windows 2000 again ? Because I have BlackWinCat Extended kernel installed.

It definitely won't work. KernelXE requires WildBill's ntoskrnl and win32k.

5 hours ago, Ximonite said:

It definitely won't work. KernelXE requires WildBill's ntoskrnl and win32k.

I have deleted the BWC extended kernel installed, and I installed WildBill's collection update and KernelXE v0.2.3 this error occurred after restarting

132800697_422972815473325_453080089280309525_n.jpg

Edited by windows2

1 hour ago, windows2 said:

I have deleted the BWC extended kernel installed, and I installed WildBill's collection update and KernelXE v0.2.3 this error occurred after restarting

132800697_422972815473325_453080089280309525_n.jpg

The error is valid. My version of ntdll doesn't have RtlRegisterSecureMemoryCacheCallback, but it's weird that it says mstask.exe on the top because the version of mstask.exe on my system doesn't call that function.

14 minutes ago, Ximonite said:

The error is valid. My version of ntdll doesn't have RtlRegisterSecureMemoryCacheCallback, but it's weird that it says mstask.exe on the top because the version of mstask.exe on my system doesn't call that function.

Maybe the reason is that mstask.exe version BWC is still installed but this is strange because I uninstalled the bwc extentded kernel before installing the kenelXE update. Tomorrow I will install Windows 2000 again and it will be completely free of bwc files. To try kernelXE V 0.2.3

18 hours ago, windows2 said:

Maybe the reason is that mstask.exe version BWC is still installed but this is strange because I uninstalled the bwc extentded kernel before installing the kenelXE update. Tomorrow I will install Windows 2000 again and it will be completely free of bwc files. To try kernelXE V 0.2.3

18 hours ago, Ximonite said:

I have reinstalled Windows and. Install kernelXE V0.2.3 and the error is no longer displayed. And everything is good :)

I noticed that you added 3D enhancements to the desktop icons and the Explorer icons. These things are really nice, thank you. One thing that remains in the interface if it can be improved in the future is that blue field :1u4511u_10u.jpg.a35999572a0a26ee2e3b8cc09f182b07.jpg

Edited by windows2

On 11/4/2020 at 11:45 PM, Ximonite said:

v0.2.3.1:
Added updated DirectSound library
Added updated hotplug.dll and stobject.dll
Added Windows Server 2003 msvcrt.dll
Added BlackWingCat's Reiwa compatible locale.nls

I installed Windows Media Player 11, and it got an error. "The procedure entry point_except_hanlder4_common" could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll, so I replaced the original msvcrt.dll with msvcrt.dll (BWC), so I fixed the error and started Windows Media Player 11. But when I installed update to KERNELXE 0.2.3.1 Error returned. Due Msvcrt.dll for Windows Server 2003 .

I have installed Chrome, and it has encountered an error. "The procedure enrty point credReadW" cloud not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll

Chrome2K link :

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4hn2otltdw5lb3w/Chromium4WIN2K.exe/file

On Thursday, November 05, 2020 at 5:45 AM, Ximonite said:

Summary:

For a long time, there have been 2 choices for extended kernels and both of them have their exclusives that aren't present in the other extended kernel. WildBill's extended kernel has many exclusive ntdll functions, SxS support, and a few exclusive functions in other files. BlackWingCat's extended kernel has many exclusive kernel32 functions (and some in other files). The big issue is that ntdll and kernel32 cannot be mixed, forcing people to choose between a better kernel32 or a better ntdll. The main goal of KernelXE is to eliminate this issue.

Downloads:

KernelXE v0.2.4

WildBill Update Collection

XMNTCert   (Installer that works on Windows 2000 W.I.P.)

Info:

Make sure to install the WildBill Update Collection BEFORE KernelXE. It is required and your system will be unbootable if you install KernelXE first. (This will change with KernelXE v0.2.5 because it will include it's own win32k.sys)
XMNTCert will not be needed for any KernelXE v0.2.x version. It will become required starting with KernelXE v0.3.0.

Changelog:

Public Beta 1:
Initial Public Release

Public Beta 1 rv2:
Added relocations to kernel32 and ntdll (messed up other parts of file)

Public Beta 2:
Exported real CreateActCtxW as CreateActCtxB to prevent explorer.exe crashing.
Added CreateActCtxW stub to take care of programs that call it while fixing the real function.
Moved QueryUnbiasedInterruptTime, SetThreadStackGuarantee, K32EmptyWorkingSet, and GetNativeSystemInfo to .text
Added idndl.dll, normaliz.dll, and the nls files normaliz.dll uses to the update package.

v0.2.3:
First version of KernelXE with new versioning system
Full changelog inside update installer.

v0.2.3.1:

v0.2.4:
Added PAE
Added this HAL Timer fix
Added Windows Vista msvcrt.dll
Added KeAcquireInStackQueuedSpinLockRaiseToSynch and HalConvertIdtToIrql to all HALs
Added KernelXE branded bootscreens
Added some ntoskrnl functions (list in full changelog)

Other information:

Programs I use:

Relocation Section Editor - Only one that handles huge relocation tables like the one in ntoskrnl.
Executable | Source Code

Beyond Compare - Super useful and feature rich comparison tool. Paid software.

CFF Explorer - Useful for editing headers.

PEMaker - Good import and export table editor. Also expands sections.

Usenti - Only bitmap editor I can find that doesn't recreate the color palette. Important for bootscreens.

Information:

Expanding .patch in ntoskrnl:
Since .patch is not directly above .rsrc and .reloc, it cannot directly be expanded.
The only section in between is .skin, which is empty space used for boot skin data.
It can be expanded, then the header can be changed to make .patch bigger and .skin the original size.

Staying consistent when modifying all 4 ntos files:
Since there are 4 ntos files, any changes must be made 4 times, and it may be hard to remember everything done.
I write instructions for every modification I make as I do them, so I know exactly what I did. This also helps when writing documentation.

You are doing the hard work. Thank you Sir :)

On 11/5/2020 at 5:45 AM, Ximonite said:

Summary:

For a long time, there have been 2 choices for extended kernels and both of them have their exclusives that aren't present in the other extended kernel. WildBill's extended kernel has many exclusive ntdll functions, SxS support, and a few exclusive functions in other files. BlackWingCat's extended kernel has many exclusive kernel32 functions (and some in other files). The big issue is that ntdll and kernel32 cannot be mixed, forcing people to choose between a better kernel32 or a better ntdll. The main goal of KernelXE is to eliminate this issue.

Downloads:

KernelXE v0.2.4

WildBill Update Collection

XMNTCert (Installer that works on Windows 2000 W.I.P.)

Info:

Make sure to install the WildBill Update Collection BEFORE KernelXE. It is required and your system will be unbootable if you install KernelXE first. (This will change with KernelXE v0.2.5 because it will include it's own win32k.sys)
XMNTCert will not be needed for any KernelXE v0.2.x version. It will become required starting with KernelXE v0.3.0.

Changelog:

Public Beta 1:
Initial Public Release

Public Beta 1 rv2:
Added relocations to kernel32 and ntdll (messed up other parts of file)

Public Beta 2:
Exported real CreateActCtxW as CreateActCtxB to prevent explorer.exe crashing.
Added CreateActCtxW stub to take care of programs that call it while fixing the real function.
Moved QueryUnbiasedInterruptTime, SetThreadStackGuarantee, K32EmptyWorkingSet, and GetNativeSystemInfo to .text
Added idndl.dll, normaliz.dll, and the nls files normaliz.dll uses to the update package.

v0.2.3:
First version of KernelXE with new versioning system
Full changelog inside update installer.

v0.2.3.1:

v0.2.4:
Added PAE
Added this HAL Timer fix
Added Windows Vista msvcrt.dll
Added KeAcquireInStackQueuedSpinLockRaiseToSynch and HalConvertIdtToIrql to all HALs
Added KernelXE branded bootscreens
Added some ntoskrnl functions (list in full changelog)

Info about future additions:

Kernel Mode Driver Framework:
Will add to KernelXE v0.2.4.1 (hard to find but I found it right after releasing KernelXE v0.2.4)

WinUSB:
Priority: High
Needs Kernel Mode Driver Framework

UMDF:
Priority: Semi-high
Needs WinUSB
Needed functions:
setupapi.SetupDiGetActualSectionToInstallExW
ntoskrnl.RtlVerifyVersionInfo
ntoskrnl.VerSetConditionMask

exFAT:
Priority: Moderate
ifsutil.dll needs replacement or big modification
shell32.dll needs modification (W.I.P.)

NVMe:
Priority: Low
Needed functions (storport):
ntoskrnl.WmiQueryTraceInformation
ntoskrnl.WmiTraceMessage
ntoskrnl.WmiTraceMessageVa

Other information:

Programs I use:

Relocation Section Editor - Only one that handles huge relocation tables like the one in ntoskrnl.
Executable | Source Code

Beyond Compare - Super useful and feature rich comparison tool. Paid software.

CFF Explorer - Useful for editing headers.

PEMaker - Good import and export table editor. Also expands sections.

Usenti - Only bitmap editor I can find that doesn't recreate the color palette. Important for bootscreens.

Information:

Expanding .patch in ntoskrnl:
Since .patch is not directly above .rsrc and .reloc, it cannot directly be expanded.
The only section in between is .skin, which is empty space used for boot skin data.
It can be expanded, then the header can be changed to make .patch bigger and .skin the original size.

Staying consistent when modifying all 4 ntos files:
Since there are 4 ntos files, any changes must be made 4 times, and it may be hard to remember everything done.
I write instructions for every modification I make as I do them, so I know exactly what I did. This also helps when writing documentation.

What software are you using to modify icons in 'explorer' 100, 130 ?

1 hour ago, piotrhn said:

What software are you using to modify icons in 'explorer' 100, 130 ?

I use paint.net for the actual photo editing. I use icofx for any conversion from or to .ico, and I use Bome Restorator for modifying the resource section of the file.

GDI32.DLL - Please add function:

• ClearBitmapAttributes  (XP) 5.1

USER32.DLL - Please add some functions:

• PaintMenuBar  (XP) 5.1
  • CalcMenuBar  (XP) 5.1
  • IsServerSideWindow  (XP) 5.1
  • RegisterUserApiHook  (XP) 5.1
  • UnregisterUserApiHook  (XP) 5.1
  • ChangeWindowMesageFilter  (Vista) 6.0
  • DisableProcessWindowsGhosting  (XP) 5.1
  • DwmHintDxUpdate  (Vista) 6.0
  • GetGestureInfo  (7) 6.1
  • GetRawInputDeviceInfoA  (XP) 5.1
  • IsThreadDesktopComposited  (Vista) 6.0
  • IsTouchWindow  (7) 6.1
  • LogicalToPhysicalPoint  (Vista) 6.0
  • RegisterPowerSettingNotification  (Vista) 6.0
  • RegisterTouchWindow  (7) 6.1
  • SetGestureConfig  (7) 6.1
  • UnregisterPowerSettingNotification  (Vista) 6.0
  • UnregisterTouchWindow  (7) 6.1

VIDEOPRT.SYS Please add to driver function: (code from 2k3 Sp2)

VideoPortIsNoVesa: (XP) 5.1
          mov    al,[L00027041]
          retn
 L00027041:
         db    00h;
         db    00h;
         db    00h;

TASKMGR - update taskmgr to version 5259, from early VISTA 5259 is last compatible with 2k and works fine. there's few news:

-dumping process

-open contain folder LOCATION

-properties of file

-network card as in XP/2k33

Edited by piotrhn

On 11/5/2020 at 5:45 AM, Ximonite said:

v0.2.3.1:

Im looking your 'hotplug.dll' and its not compatible with original "2ksp4":whistle: ; there are missing:

• DIALOGS: 330 & 603

hotplug_missingdialogs.JPG

Edited by piotrhn

12345678910.thumb.jpg.0aff669f8f4bea52a3d1f879ffcec791.jpg

Many files that must be copied to the system32 were not copied, such as Winusb.sys , winusbcoinstaller2.dll , WinUSBCoInstaller.dll , winusb.inf.

after I installed KernelXE 0.2.4.1, it became necessary to shutdown the computer manually from the button.

Is the reason behind this? Is the built-in installs of nlite ?

Edited by windows2

1 minute ago, windows2 said:

Many files that must be copied to the system32 were not copied, such as Winusb.sys , winusbcoinstaller2.dll , WinUSBCoInstaller.dll , winusb.inf.

1. The .sys and .inf files shouldn't be in system32.
2. I noticed that they aren't in the locations they should be.

I am currently doing a lot of optimization to update.inf and this should hopefully fix this.

12 minutes ago, Ximonite said:

1. The .sys and .inf files shouldn't be in system32.
2. I noticed that they aren't in the locations they should be.

I am currently doing a lot of optimization to update.inf and this should hopefully fix this.

1. SYS Drivers:  %windir%\System32\drivers or %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers

2. INF Files:  %windir%\inf or %SystemRoot%\inf