Most straightforward / quickest way to make custom windows 10 iso to fit on 4.7 GB dvd-rw disc

cov3rt

It’s been really stressful finding a way to fit the newer windows 10 version 20H2 onto a 4.7 GB dvd-rw, I’m currently doing a lengthy process with poweriso, converting Wim to esd, was using msmg toolkit earlier and I didn’t like. I’m trying to see how much space it will use once it’s in esd, because if it’s more, than that’s just stupid, because I removed all other windows versions, but windows 10 pro, so it shouldn’t use more, if it’s supposed to be back to its normal state but without the other separate windows versions. 

I don’t need to remove that much stuff, the base size downloaded from The media creation tool is 4.57 GB, and this included other selectable windows versions, home, education, of course not needed for me, as I just need the pro version, however, the only one I found stand-alone is over 5 GB..., what gives? I only need to free a little over 200 MB, as just under 4.37 GB is the max for 4.7 GB dvd discs. 

it’s dumb in the sense that the two programs ntlite and msmg toolkit, add more space on top of the image when it’s converted to wim, which requires you to delete A lot of stuff, which is counter intuitive. Not to mention I don’t want to be removing things Unnecessarily or worry about Messing up the windows 10 functioning, even though I looked at some videos on the options, it’s just not a straightforward solution. 

Using poweriso, msmg toolkit or nlite, make the computer extremely slow, which is odd, because it seems to have effect when I was in desktop view, but when I was playing a game earlier, it didn’t seem to affect it At all, yet outside that, as simple as trying to open settings menu would take several seconds or as much as half a minute, could it just be that these programs  are extremely taxing on the cpu?  As the disk usage hardly goes up, only like 4 percent or so, with 50 percent memory, but CPU at 100 percent for most of the time, using an i5 4200m, 8 GB ram, and 240 GB ssd. 

ok, so i was able to fit Windows 10 20H2 onto a 4.7 GB dvd-rw disc, by shrinking the size to 4.05 GB. so i'm not sure exactly which way would be the quickest or straightforward, but one route is to use ntlite to add the image directory, which then should show more than one windows 10 version. what i did was delete all of them in the same area, except for windows 10 professional, but i think i took some other steps that may or may not have been necessary, such as converting to wim, then i think i clicked process process or something that created the iso. i dont remember exactly, but i believe when i used poweriso to convert wim back to esd ( after extracting the updated iso ), for less space, i then deleted the install.wim file, leaving install.esd with the lower size, then i opened up the directory again in ntlite, and created an iso, burned to disc, and it was able to boot off it, although, i only went as far as the screen that mentioned upgrade / custom install, as i didn't want to actually use the tested computer to install, but i think it would install and work fine. so the 4.05 GB size of the updated iso, is only for windows 10 professional 64 bit with version 20H2, as all the other versions, education / home, were removed. 

Edited by cov3rt

On 10/31/2020 at 8:10 AM, cov3rt said:

The media creation tool is 4.57 GB, and this included other selectable windows versions, home, education, of course not needed for me, as I just need the pro version

Read the Pro version index, extract the pro part and create a new ISO file.
Data are read and written at the disk: this uses almost no CPU usage

dism.exe /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:sources\install.esd
dism.exe /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:sources\install.esd /SourceIndex:6 /DestinationImageFile:sources\install_pro.esd
del sources\install.esd
ren sources\install_pro.esd install.esd

oscdimg.exe -m -o -u2 -udfver102 -bootdata:2#p0,e,b.\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,b.\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin . ..\Win10_20H2_x64.iso

I get a 4.32 GB image and matches a DVD RW. Dism is included by default nowadays.
Oscdimg https://msfn.org/board/topic/156869-get-waik-tools-wo-downloading-the-huge-isos/

Thanks for appropriating this subtleties. I from a general viewpoint wish to uncover to you that I on a zeroed in on assessment look at your site what's more I find it astoundingly proceeding and titanic. 

Edited by priyabansal