Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

13 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

P.S your image is not showing up. Did you accidentally delete it?

12 hours ago, Hyper.nl said:

My image is a youtube video

Same here, @Mr.Scienceman2000.

LOT of folks here at MSFN like to post YouTube "content" and I always just get gigantic empty space because I do not allow YouTube content unless the domain I am on is YouTube.

So my Stylus kills the gigantic empty space and I just read on past it, "Not worth seeing if it's an embedded YouTube on a non-YouTube domain."

@RanCorX2

what I said is w10 / w11 (aka w10 with new UI) it's getting slower with every new build

I have it tweaked, with all bloatware removed, with all possible tweaks and I use some w81 dll files on it, but you can compare yourself the Windows Interface score between w8, w81, w10 beta, w10 rtm, w10 AU and w10 19XX & 20XX and w11 on "PerformanceTest" utility and you will see each score (in Windows Interface option) lower than the previous (if you do it from older to newer windows version w8->w10->w11)

doesn't matter if you have tweaked all or if you disabled immersive shell (metro ui), it's not all bad, memory management of w10 it's better than w8 / 81 but GPU virtual VRAM pagination starting with WDDM 2.0 it's really a penalty.

w11 has some potential but the UI isn't optimized, I think it's time for a new "w2k3toworkstation" but with w11 server, of course cause you need to apply 1000 tweaks and when you have a good working OS, "voila" windows shows "new update KBXXXXX is pending install". The only reason to have these new OSes starting with Vista, is the use of RAM cache and better memory management and also better cpu resource management. But starting with w8.1 GPU vram management gets worse, but still a nice OS compared to w10.

w11 has potential, but for some reason they don't spend time optimizing the UI and adds tons of bloatware, icons, images, effects, transparencies, shadows, sounds, logon UI screens. 

w95,w98,wXP these were the good old days... Now we have an OS which is like a website.

Why don't MS enable registry keys to force WDDM version? or to disable VRAM pagination? or to disable some DWM functions? and why can't we disable these rounded borders? it's like windows xp without xp.

on the other hand automatic updates it's the worse thing you can put on an OS ... Windows was the best OS, I don't know what it will be if they don't allow us to -at least- disable windows update. 

It's like Vista again but now we have a very fast hardware: even the slower disk (Hdd) is running on a SATA3 port.

So... do you really think windows 98 flies on Pentium 150 or Pentium III 1000 Mhz and current windows versions on modern hardware are slow ?

once tweaked, w11 feels like w8.1 RTM when appeared but in nowadays hardware. Do you know what I mean? 

before the tweaks it's like Windows Vista SP0 on hardware designed for XP

so how it feels before tweaked? well it's like having 2 GB of Ram and HDD again and installing vista sp0 on it...

Edited by sonyu

1 hour ago, sonyu said:

It's like Vista again but now we have a very fast hardware: even the slower disk (Hdd) is running on a SATA3 port.

Windows Vista SP0 on hardware designed for XP

2 GB of Ram and HDD again and installing vista sp0 on it...

funny that someone pulls vista card on a table again when talking problems with Windows 11 or other new windows. I did run vista RTM back in day on 2.80ghz Pentium 4, Nvidia 6800gt and 1GB of ram. That hardware rolled out before Vista, but run Windows vista smoothly and only issue with ram was if I did too much multitasking. Startup was rather quick and programs were relatively responsive.

Also back in day most had 1gb of ram and 2gb started to be on newer notebooks. 4gb was what some hardcore games used and 8gb was on high end workstations for most parts. Even when Windows 7 came out many notebooks had 2gb ram still.

Also I can install Windows Vista into my Pentium 3 with 512mb RAM and it does not whine "you need TPM chip for no good reason or you cannot run this".  It is not most optimal, but with tweaking it can be made usable considering I made Windows XP working well on 260mhz Celeron.

1 hour ago, sonyu said:

So... do you really think windows 98 flies on Pentium 150 or Pentium III 1000 Mhz

yes it does. I even run Windows 98 on 486 with 32mb ram and was decent in performance despite heavy IE shell which could be solved with 98lite. I run Windows 98 day to day on 800mhz Pentium 3 and it flies.

1 hour ago, sonyu said:

current windows versions on modern hardware are slow ?

well higher resource usage by bloatware makes them slower. Sure there is kernel level performance improvement, but it is like fiat punto engine on truck, fails to get the job done

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

3 minutes ago, sonyu said:

@Mr.Scienceman2000

Yes, w98 flies on these hardware. What I said is: why actual windows versions doesn't work faster than how w98 works in Pentium 150mhz, considering we have increased the hardware of these days x1000

:)

Ah. Minor misundersanding. And that is true. Software gets more bloated over time making point of better computing power worthless

• 2 months later...

I am getting an increasing amount of customers complaining about no signal HDMI to monitor after update from Microsoft?

I recently had one of these computers on test and found nothing wrong with the hardware after extensive tests...

I just turned off Microsoft installing drivers for hardware (which often doesn't work - but then again what does) and reinstalled the latest driver for graphics card from (in this case Nvidia). That seemed to fix the problem but it does get one down fixing things after Microsoft bungling things.....!!!

bookie32

• 1 month later...

Microsoft bungling things.....!!!

On a 21H2 test system, an update refused to update with various excuses (Retry).  Finally just reinstalled Win 10 and all is well (At least for awhile). It's happened 3 times on different PCs in the last couple of years. Just reminds me why my every day computer is not a Windows computer. The good is that I can understand Windows user's challenges.

My girlfriend has a Dell XPS 8500 desktop.  She has pulled it out of storage, and it's running Windows 10 (Build 1511).  I tried to update past that, but I've learned it's not supported.  In fact, she should be shocked the Windows 10 was able to be upgraded to in the first place.

Saddens me a little, since her system works wonderfully, but she'd be in fact better (security-wise) with Windows 8.1.  I know some folks have been able to fresh install Windows 10 (Build 1809) or even higher, from media onto this same system, offline.  However, I really don't want to fresh install on a system that's fully working to her liking.

Which brings me to this;  if we leave her on 1511, and keep Google Chrome and Office 360 applications up to date, will she be REASONABLY safe?  She doesn't really game, or go to risky sistes.  I'm just pondering ideas.

As long as the apps are kept up to date as you said, those are the main entrypoints that malware will try to break into. Another thing would to protect it from network situations, so setting Windows to the "Public" network type is a good step. Interestingly, Defender on these older versions still gets definition updates so the antivirus still works, but it doesn't have some of the new tamper protection features. 

You could try and throw LTSB 2015 on it if you really wanted security updates, but as you said you don't want to mess with it. 1511 doesn't support modern .NET so if all she does is use office and chrome then it will work for a loooong time.

• 3 weeks later...

@Tonny52

Modern NET Framework 4.8 can be installed on 1507 and 1511. Not officially but there is a way. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the how to here, 

1511 it's the fastest I tried since 10.0.10074 beta compared to all other w10 modern builds. 1507 aka 10240 aka LTSB 2015 is not bad, but WDDM 2.0 works better with less ui lag in this build.

Anyway best and fastest Windows it's 8.0 x64 of course :)

Edited by sonyu

21 minutes ago, sonyu said:

@Tonny52

Modern NET Framework 4.8 can be installed on 1507 and 1511. Not officially but there is a way. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the how to here, 

1511 it's the fastest I tried since 10.0.10074 beta compared to all other w10 modern builds. 1507 aka 10240 aka LTSB 2015 is not bad, but WDDM 2.0 works better with less ui lag in this build.

Anyway best and fastest Windows it's 8.0 x64 of course :)

Dang, I really wish I could know as well because thats one thing I really wished I could get working. I've tried things but nothing has worked. I'm not sure how it would be against the rules here...but you could ask an admin here or something. Maybe PM it, but id ask the admins first if youre skeptical.

I got perfect example of what is wrong with having rolling release forced for Windoze 10 while it is used in enteprise.

One factory is running clients between Windows 10 1909 up to latest release. On this monday I had tons of tickets, printers did not work giving driver error, almost all of machines that were used to log work progress or control machines were no longer booting up.

After diagnostic I found out new quality update M$ had rolled was blame. It took lot of overtime to fix those issues and by weekend new issues keep popping up :no:. They should rename them Russian roulette updates since you can't be sure how badly it will be hosed up.

Most end users have no idea how bad it is when support team need run to every workstation trying get them up and running. Sometimes even reinstall would be too slow option since 4 hours production lines stopped can cause millions on loss. Even with automated reinstall it is still too slow

I can see no reason to defend Microsoft rolling updates to Windows, you cant release that type of garbage into production environment :realmad:. Well atleast robots are still controlled trough Windows XP there.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

1 hour ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

control machines were no longer booting up

It sounds like your company needs to re-evaluate their internals. At any manufacturing company, computers that run critical machines should either be segregated or firewalled. Or the company should be using a WSUS and only push updates to it that have been vetted beforehand. Alternatively, they may be using the wrong (but cost effective) SKUs. I see that a lot where a company will save costs by using a retail OS instead of an Embedded/IoT OS.

Last year I got to visit a company and do a site inventory for them. Their critical machines controlled lasers for micro-manufacturing, and none of the computers attached to those systems were connected to the internet. For the same reason you outlined, because if one goes down, manufacturing stops and the company looses big dollars. So they had made it so those systems did not get updates. That company also were using the "wrong" OS for the job as a reason to cut costs (I don't want to think about how much those laser machines cost) and that was their mitigation strategy.

18 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

It sounds like your company needs to re-evaluate their internals. At any manufacturing company, computers that run critical machines should either be segregated or firewalled. Or the company should be using a WSUS and only push updates to it that have been vetted beforehand. Alternatively, they may be using the wrong (but cost effective) SKUs. I see that a lot where a company will save costs by using a retail OS instead of an Embedded/IoT OS.

Last year I got to visit a company and do a site inventory for them. Their critical machines controlled lasers for micro-manufacturing, and none of the computers attached to those systems were connected to the internet. For the same reason you outlined, because if one goes down, manufacturing stops and the company looses big dollars. So they had made it so those systems did not get updates. That company also were using the "wrong" OS for the job as a reason to cut costs (I don't want to think about how much those laser machines cost) and that was their mitigation strategy.

Well I am not control over updates sadly and too many times those who do have control over updates have no idea how update properly, last time they did it task bar and start menu were hosed up. I am testing update on all possible configurations for good reason, but usually it goes that technicians are ignored until stuff break and then we get to do dirty job which could have been avoided. Well this time it seems like they finally listened me on this and things will turn into better. If I would have opinion on it i would have kept mission critical systems that were on their own network and not on office network running Windows 2000/XP/whatever tried and tested OS like they used to be.

Still it does not excuse totally Microsoft on this. They do not offer cheap or easy way having non rolling release for OS like it used to be long ago.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

LOOONG battle we (engineering) have with IT.  Most of these issues were resolved when XP went EOL because most of our robot "arms" use Embedded XP.

But we are also a multi-continent company and others (not our plant) use POSReady updates - BIG MISTAKE, *hours* of downtime!

Our Local IT doesn't have the authority to vet updates and Global IT (I'll refrain from mentioning which country!) will shut down any computer, be it office or factory floor, that doesn't have *ALL* Windows Updates "critical" hotfixes.

So Local IT has to "allow" Global IT to shut down the floor for *hours* and do station-specific "redirects" to make Global IT "think" the station has *ALL* "critical" hotfixes.