Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

8 hours ago, vinifera said:

isnt solution for "windows games" to install QEMU (with win7) and do GPU passthrough ?

that feels pretty pointless to use Windows inside linux if host can run windows 7. I rather have own partition to windows 7 on pc than setting up windows inside linux then using time in hope of getting all work proper

8 hours ago, vinifera said:

not pointless if youre switching for linux
win7 won't support hardware forever ...

you missed my point. Peoples keep saying win7 users to switch their current Windows 7 pc to linux and do passtrough and waste countless of hours to mostly run Windows inside linux while using linux only as host. Also if trend of lobotomised, locked down, non programmable devices keep increasing soon may not be able run linux on hardware. I am not against linux, in fact I got deciated pc just for it but it is not magical fix to problems migrating from windows 7.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

4 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I am not against linux, in fact I got deciated pc just for it but it is not magical fix to problems migrating from windows 7.

AGREED!

It does get annoying to always, and I do mean ALWAYS, search through forums dedicated to MICROSOFT TWEAKS AND FIXES (not referring to MSFN, all DIY web sites have this nuance) in order to track down a fix or tweak for a various issue here or there and ALWAYS find some Linux Kid post "switch to Linux".  USELESS to the conversation!  But then again, maybe this post is useless also, lol.

On 9/7/2021 at 4:48 AM, ArcticFoxie said:

maybe this post is useless also, lol.

Maybe so, but it makes a good point!

Since we're making "useless" posts today, I've noticed another, similar kind of post almost as much as those switch to Linux posts, and even had a CS instructor* go on about it:  "throw out your old PC and buy a new one with Windows 10!"

I do NOT see any point in throwing out a perfectly fine PC just because it's 4 years old, just to get a new one which that may not have the features I like, and probably won't run the software I want because Windows 10 won't run them (this, I admit, is rare-ish, but it happens).

c

*I went out of my way to run a Latitude D630 (from 2008) with Windows 2000 to make the point that one need not upgrade to the newest hardware and software to get things done (I did eventually upgrade it to XP, but the point was still valid because XP was only released one year later than 2000;  because XP had such a long service life, it has become extremely mature and as a result, supports an unusually wide range of hardware (everything from the earliest Pentium Pros to at least Haswell, or Skylake and up with some ACPI patching and creative workarounds for some hardware that lacks XP drivers), and has at least some support for a lot of modern conveniences).

Edited by cc333

• 2 weeks later...

Not all w10 versions are crap. You can run 10064 / 10074 and get a decent experience. 

These versions are more like 8.1 than 10 rtm and you can have GPU and Touchpad drivers for modern hardware (WDDM 2.0 in early stage)

The only thing I hate is the empty icons on taskbar when I apply w7/w8 theme with StartIsBack++ but this is only a personal appreciation.

Of course these builds aren't for everyone...

If you can help me fixing the empty icons on taskbar, these will be the perfect windows versions right now, at least for modern hardware without support for w7 and w8 

Edited by sonyu

• 2 weeks later...

not sure telling users that old betas of windows 10 are worth using instead of newer builds. performance is fine on the build i'm on, 20h2 and was fine on the one before that.

i'd be more concerned about the bugs, bloat they keep introducing and the removal of control panel features.

so far i've had to add the following to my install to keep it feeling and looking like windows 7;

open shell menu + w7 start orb and menu skin

taskbar for classic right click on taskbar items

replacement network indicator on tray with w7 icon and access to old networking cpl

t-clock for classic clock and calendar flyout

classic alt+tab

media player classic be & hc.

default w7 wallpaper because i don't care about custom wallpaper.

replaced edge with opera as backup browser + addons

using firefox as main browser + addons and customised to have same ui layout as ie11 because why not.

19 hours ago, RanCorX2 said:

not sure telling users that old betas of windows 10 are worth using instead of newer builds. performance is fine on the build i'm on, 20h2 and was fine on the one before that.

i'd be more concerned about the bugs, bloat they keep introducing and the removal of control panel features.

so far i've had to add the following to my install to keep it feeling and looking like windows 7;

open shell menu + w7 start orb and menu skin

taskbar for classic right click on taskbar items

replacement network indicator on tray with w7 icon and access to old networking cpl

t-clock for classic clock and calendar flyout

classic alt+tab

media player classic be & hc.

default w7 wallpaper because i don't care about custom wallpaper.

replaced edge with opera as backup browser + addons

using firefox as main browser + addons and customised to have same ui layout as ie11 because why not.

Second problems is even you did have it way you like, MS can ruin it with update. Openshell seems to fail after every major update, MS Metrofies UI more after every update. I really hate whole idea of feature updates. I do not want to worry did I lost my start menu after updating OS.

And I agree Windows 10 build wont matter. It is same trash no matter the build and I generally run latest if need run somewhere (not on my network).

On 11/22/2017 at 4:14 PM, Hyper.nl said:
  • Worst general UI design since Windows 3.11 (I rather use Windows 95 than Windows 10 UI-wise)
  • The built-in spyware telemetrics
  • The fact that games and programs are being installed without explicit permission of the user: (Like candy crush on a Windows 10 Professional OS)
  • The apps in general. Who needs X-box on a business PC?

I will most likely be using Windows Seven long after the extended support ended. It's going to be a sad time fighting security issues in the long run.

Dear me from the past, the long wait is over. Windows 10 finally got a successor with a well-designed interface and the good people of StartIsBack and Lively allowed my to keep my beloved Windows 7 start menu, task bar and DreamScene. This is my Windows 11 desktop. I had to clean things op with Windows 10 decrapifier and disable the spyware with O&O ShutUp but here we are in a bit more modern times. Finally DirectX 12 for my games and hardware support for years to come. To me, this was a huge leap.

2 hours ago, Hyper.nl said:

hardware support for years to come.

Just wait until Microsoft updates OS to either break layout for good or blocking hw support like they did with Windoze 10 I mean Windows 10 to some atom cpus. This point it would no longer surprise me.

2 hours ago, Hyper.nl said:

To me, this was a huge leap.

For me  it is huge leap down the hill. Windows 8 with it cell phone UI was rolling down hill, Windows 10 was running down and Windows 11 was hitting bottom of it. I do not want to install tons of system extensions to operating system just to make it less painful to use. It should be by default.

Also Microsoft shows complete middle finger to system administrators by adding more useless bloatware that need to be disabled. Internet explorer was bad already but atleast for most parts same settings worked without issue between versions when forced network wide. Microsoft store has no place on production network, neither does start menu advertising and auto downloaded bloatware. Those can be disabled, but are enabled by default and to disable them you need more expensive Enterprise edition of Windoze, that costs more money. Also new touch screen optimised start menu is pain configure remotely to domain machines.

Windows 11 is same crap as Windows 10 with uglier UI and everybody praises it like god. Windows 11 only started new era on hw requiments and one that I call end of personal computing. In 5-10 years from here non locked down computers will be rare and even having data and os on local system instead of azure or other cloud is stupid to many and nobody sees problem with risks of having all data on cloud.

And I am not some diehard linux or xp/98 fan. Windows XP and 98 had their problems, but were solid operating systems and atleast Microsoft listened system administrators by adding requested management features. Also even though I like linux I am aware it issues, but to fair Devuan Linux does not insult me by pushing ads to desktop and adding new panels or menus is super easy and NATIVE TO OPERATING SYSTEM. For me as system administrator control over stuff without lot of hassle is very important and that is why I hate most modern products that want limit what can I control

P.S your image is not showing up. Did you accidentally delete it?

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Oh, I get your points. They're all true. The fact that the first thing I had to do after installing Windows 11 is removing bloatware and spyware telemetry is sad. But I was on the last legs of Windows 7 extended security updates and I did not want to become the grandpa that is still running Windows 7 in 2040. I don't need ads in my OS. I don't need my OS to be a client for cloud services. I don't need my OS to run phone apps.

But I play games. I buy new hardware. I want security patches and want the compatibility that Windows brings. So, I had to make the switch. And I'm glad I found a way to make it work for me.
If I could buy a Windows 7 Second Edition with a modern kernel I would have bought that. But this is the closest thing to me.

By the way: My image is a youtube video showing the animated video wallpaper and Windows 7 taskbar. Maybe your browser does not trust Youtube scripting or something.

1 hour ago, Hyper.nl said:

Oh, I get your points. They're all true. The fact that the first thing I had to do after installing Windows 11 is removing bloatware and spyware telemetry is sad. But I was on the last legs of Windows 7 extended security updates and I did not want to become the grandpa that is still running Windows 7 in 2040. I don't need ads in my OS. I don't need my OS to be a client for cloud services. I don't need my OS to run phone apps.

But I play games. I buy new hardware. I want security patches and want the compatibility that Windows brings. So, I had to make the switch. And I'm glad I found a way to make it work for me.
If I could buy a Windows 7 Second Edition with a modern kernel I would have bought that. But this is the closest thing to me.

Well atleast you aware of problems and not some Windows 11 diehard who will eat me alive because do not like it at all. I have my reasons to hate it and you have reasons to like it on some level and both are fine to me. Some like something some do not. If it work for user and they are fine something else works for someone else it is fine for me.

And that speculation purpose was not personal. It was rather overall. I see sad trend of moving all to cloud from local drives and ignoring any user who do like it. Also Microsoft sells Windows 365 these days that is cloud OS. They use it as "accessible everywhere" why better than local client. It is like going back to monochrome terminals connected to mainframe. Also what if internet goes down? No more access to your clould computer. If I would need system accessible anywhere I would buy small lightweight notebook and carry that with me. Sadly most consumer do not even care from it and try force it to everyone like you notice.

As for update thing, it has been frustrated thing to begin with on Windows 10 and 11. You got all perfectly in desktop MS does system update and all tweaks might be gone. My work machine loves to do that to me:realmad:.

I will be stubborn one who refuse go to Windows 10/11 and will hang on 7/xp/98. I have made decision Linux despite it issues. And if Linux goes worse since company contributions (systemd as worst example) I move to bsd or stop most of internet related tasks overall. Today internet there is not lot to see compared 10 or 20 years ago. I pretty much use MSFN and few others sites and otherwise prefer IRLChat in f2f mode.

1 hour ago, Hyper.nl said:

By the way: My image is a youtube video showing the animated video wallpaper and Windows 7 taskbar. Maybe your browser does not trust Youtube scripting or something.

that explains it. I am using nMatrix that blocks javascripts and youtube is blacklisted on it. On future you could attach it as link too from top menu in case someone else cannot view it

Yep, but imagine that you buy a new car.

Then you replace:

• wheels and tires
  • seats and interiors
  • dashboard
  • shock absorbers
  • intake air filter
  • exhaust
  • gearbox

and the result is actually nicer, runs smoother and better handling than the original car.

It is hard to say that the car was good, at the most you can say that body and engine were a good base to work on.

jaclaz