Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

47 minutes ago, NoelC said:

What's curious is that I'm not really doing any more work - I mean, back then I had Skype teleconferencing and eMail and web browsing and remote control over other systems, etc. on my Win 8.1 setup.  It was initially a bit of a feat to get things like Skype - which is promiscuous as hell online - to work within constraints but I ultimately accomplished it.  But now we have Teams and shared Office documents and Bluejeans and Zoom and 50 different ways to get those same things done that someone else requires in order for me to do my job.  Because someone else thinks those things are important to be able to do.  If anything the slightly less stable nature of the latest OSs cut into my productive time.  I can never seem to print anything reliably any more.  That never used to be a problem; now it is.  The most useful things I do are still done the "old fashioned" way - developed right here locally on my computer system then shared later.  Who thinks they're more productive while on a video call?  Who isn't overloaded by all the inputs?  But because everyone else seems to have swallowed the hype that "cloud apps are better" there's no getting away from it.

Maybe u could run those apps in normal user form ur admin account

and also allow inbound  and outbound to them for that local account

like this

and solve that problem u have with securing win10 ?

0yoA0sb.png

Edited by aviv00

On 1/31/2021 at 7:51 AM, Dibya said:

Shall i ask what you get extra in Photoshop that not their in CS6? Except some cloud crap. 

Just off the top of my head, quite a bit, actually...

A fair bit of content-awareness and AI processing have been added in various places to help speed work or create better results more easily...  Besides the obvious fun stuff like making people smile or frown or look younger or older in the Neural Filters gallery, Photoshop has AI-based selections (e.g., Select Subject, Object Selection Tool), AI-based facial feature recognition in Liquify, even AI-based upsampling in Camera Raw, which now can open raw files to quadruple the megapixel count of your camera's imager and still have them be quite sharp, Let's see...  Curves in 32 bit documents, more/easier extensibility via script-based Plugins if you want to write your own features to augment Photoshop or get some from others,  Content-aware fill has gotten both smarter and more controllable.  You now have an ability to quickly trace paths from content in the image,  Zooming has gotten less weird than in CS6.  Lots more info is provided via the Properties panel.  There are a lot of others, but those are things I personally have found improved.

-Noel

2 minutes ago, aviv00 said:

and solve that problem u have with securing win10 ?

Thanks for the advice.  My  problem isn't really that there isn't a firewall solution for each of the many, many network-integrated applications I need to be able to run; it's that trying to keep up with the level of complexity has become practically impossible.  With the level of constant change required to the firewall configuration to make things work, I can't really practically spend all day every day fooling with the config, I'm expected to get some work done.  The base problem is that everything is just much more complex.

Here's the thing:  If I was actually able to get MORE work done than I did, say, back in 2013 or so, then I'd be able to more easily accept the additional complexity as a necessary evil.  As it is, it's just more complex but doesn't really do more useful stuff.  In fact, trying to do things "the new way" like edit a shared document in Word and dealing with practical problems like failure to save or loss of changes has proven again and again to become more error prone and ultimately costs more effort than just keeping one person in charge of the document and receiving submissions from others.  Telesconferencing in the modern era seems to involve a  lot of "we're not seeing your screen" or "we can't hear your video", even beyond the obvious issues like networking failure during meetings, etc.  Even just that the tech has gotten more complex is problematic - I have to monitor 3 different chat features, have multiple calendars,  am expected to keep up with eMail from 6 different inboxes, track my work in an online service, track expenses in a different online service, deal with health care, investments, payroll, etc. all online, many via browser, many not...  Each of these functions embody essential communications, but they're not integrated nearly as well as they ought to be, and trying to figure out what servers to allow to get each to work is just not practical.

-Noel

And if u allow to any app to the internet but only if it runs as normal user

it wont solve the problem because data breach

but then maybe securing the data with encryption and backing it up to administrator directory[avoid ransomware attack]  might help ?

im using windows firewall control to secure the rules

so if app got installed and add rule it will remove it automatically

Edited by aviv00

So....I finally threw in the towel on Windows 8.1  and upgraded to Windows 10 this month after I bought a Z590 motherboard and discovered I could not install my Qlogic PCI-e network card or even the motherboard's onboard  NIC without installing Windows 10. I found it odd that I could get network access with a USB network adaptor on Windows 10 and that my PCI-e video card worked but that the Qlogic NIC that worked fine in Windows 8.1 on my previous motherboard, was now nothing more than a doorstop without Window 10.

The second surprise came after installing Windows 10 and I found eight different WAN Miniports listed in Device Manager and eight entries for my dual port Qlogic card. My suspicion is that this is all designed for telemetry connectivity and to keep Windows 10 connected to the IOT. So I thought to myself, I can stop this: just don't install network drivers until Windows 10 is fully cleanly installed. But that wasn't easily accomplished,  at least on my motherboard, because you can't turn Wifi off in the BIOS!!! So then I shut off the WiFi access point at my location which, fortunately, is remote enough that there are no other accessible WiFi networks nearby.

Finally, I was able to cleanly install and register Windows 10. I then quickly installed my network firewall and WAU Manager and was able to patch Windows 10 in a controlled way (no 200MB worth of logitech mouse driver addons or 750MB worth of Nvidia telemetry apps, not to mention that I can wait until the dust clears on the Microsoft patches that have introduced new bugs)  while I tried to hunt down and close off Windows 10 telemetry hidden in service settings, scheduled tasks and other startup routines. So far, I'm not as pessimistic as NoelC about accomplishing this successfully. But, then again, I'm not using Windows store apps like Weather,  email etc., I also uninstalled Windows Explorer and Edge and I am not letting the OS update at will, thanks to WAU. My other gripe is that Windows 10 has a 33% bigger footprint than Windows 8.1, making imaging the OS take one-third longer. Yes, Windows 10 is a hot mess.  

Edited by BYTE-ME

The WAN Miniports were always there but are usually just not shown. There are some instances where a LAN installation on XP goes bad and is evidenced by the WAN Miniports appearing in Device Manager under Network Adapters.

I noticed that I let out an audible groan this morning when I went to unlock my Win 10 PC, after seeing that it takes more than 2 seconds to unlock. This means that some update installed overnight and restarted the computer.

@ Tripredacus. Thanks for the explanation of the WAN Miniports. I finally broke down  and wrote an Autoit script that shuts off my network adaptors before my PC reboots or goes to sleep. Lot of chit chat with Microsoft going on before and after login .

Edited by BYTE-ME

Oh well. Windows will remain king of operating systems for the foreseeable future no matter how crappy it is, since it is so embedded into the enterprise. I know the company doesn't give 2¢ about what most consumers think, but I think four things would improve the OS and widen its appeal: (1) better integration with cellphones now that mobile has become as ubiquitous as Windows, i.e. make phone/PC file transfers and syncing contacts, calendars, texts and emails easier and more seamless over Bluetooth or USB cable, something like MyPhone Explorer does; (2) Re-introduce and improve the Resilient File System (it was deprecated in Windows 10) to add integrity checks, protection against data degradation, handling of long paths, storage virtualization, and built-in hard drive redundancy and disk failure protection, especially now that Microsoft is requiring higher PC hardware requirements to install Windows 11. (3) Add an Android-like cast feature to display content on televisions and other devices and, finally, (4) dumb-down networking so that opening Windows' network connections for the first time displays a wizard to enter, lookup and save IP/DNS addresses and passwords for your LAN and for your ISP provider like many email clients do wizard setups for setting up email.

Removal of a bona fide technology improvement like ReFS instead of taking the integration the rest of the way to make it bootable, etc. speaks volumes about the direction of Windows, eh?

-Noel

@vinifera. Yeah, I hate to sound like one of those "Hey, get off my lawn" geezers but seriously when is MS going to act like a grownup? I guess it's too easy to chase the low hanging fruit and just change OS eye candy just to induce upgrades. "Windows 19, anyone? We've redesigned the taskbar and have brand new icons, this time in grayscale!!!"

well from my narrow perspective, as it is all business
why make good OS/product when you can make crap, then sell it, then make it fancier and maybe tweak thing here and there, then sell as "better version"
and then slowly introduce something that is in fact old but for their ecosystem is new (example with native PDF reading, MKV files, mounting virtual iso's)
and again sell it as something revolutionary... etc...

to me MS will only update drivers and hw support, but as OS itself it is waaay behind... 

but at the end its all money that counts... they stopped giving two bit s*** what ppl want/need long ago
they get some exclusive right sales from US goverment most likely coz they bent over for free trojan insertions

it just bleeds money money money

Edited by vinifera

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2021 at 11:15 PM, vinifera said:

well from my narrow perspective, as it is all business
why make good OS/product when you can make crap, then sell it, then make it fancier and maybe tweak thing here and there, then sell as "better version"
and then slowly introduce something that is in fact old but for their ecosystem is new (example with native PDF reading, MKV files, mounting virtual iso's)
and again sell it as something revolutionary... etc...

to me MS will only update drivers and hw support, but as OS itself it is waaay behind... 

but at the end its all money that counts... they stopped giving two bit s*** what ppl want/need long ago
they get some exclusive right sales from US goverment most likely coz they bent over for free trojan insertions

it just bleeds money money money

What still amazes me is people still go out and buy it......:crazy:

1 hour ago, bookie32 said:

What still amazes me is people still go out and buy it......:crazy:

well peoples think "what you gonna do about it" and pay more to them instead of actually doing something like boycott companies until they change their way. Last Windows I paid was Windows 7 that I needed to have full paid retail version to my use or would not pass auditing.

I currently got personal ban on Windows 8, 10 and 11 on my network and only use them work. If Microsoft changes their way of doing operating system I will be more than happy lift the ban but I doubt it . And before someone says Windows before it had issues too I am aware of them but at end they were solid and reliable products (Windows 3.x and 98FE as expections :P) that made powerusing much easier. I am using linux if need new os which sadly seems to be going same path. System D as good example :no:. Luckily Systemd free distros exist. Also cannot go linux full time on personal system since Windows games wont work, mix of package managers is hell etc so. no perfect soluction