Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

I'm interested in the technical explanation of the crappy performance in a VM. Is it any better in Hyper-V compared to VMware/VirtualBox? Hyper-V tends to slow down the host somewhat due to the way it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I learned one of the dumbest design decisions I have ever seen in a commercial product. If for whatever reason you account becomes disconnected in MS Teams, you cannot minimize the Teams window unless you log in. Fortunately, you can close the window without logging in. :rolleyes:

"Memory Compression in Windows 10 RTM"

I had the privilege of spending some more time with the Windows 10 Kernel folks!! I love learning about the OS with the folks that actually work in it day in and day out. In this video Mehmet Iyigun spent some time discussing why the System process in Windows 10 is taking a bit more memory and why it's a good thing. A process taking more memory sounds like a bad thing - that is until I understood more about memory management, paging, and hard / soft page faults. Turns out that that the OS is doing some clever optimizations that allow your processes to trim some of the memory but not necessarily page it out to disk. Not only is the memory preserved in RAM, but it is also compressed - making hard page faults a more rare occurrence. The results should make for a snappier experience. The best part is that this feature is not an experimental feature: it has been available since the RTM bits of Windows 10 were released.

Today my PC randomly installed overnight an app called Meet Now. Can't uninstall it because it is appearantly a part of Shell Experience Host. Argh. Along with that, the UWP apps that I had uninstalled reinstalled themself. Sure enough, Windows 10 thought it was a good idea to install the MsEdge update on my system without even telling me when I put my PC in sleep mode the night before.

Doesn't it seem just like malware practices...

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2019 at 10:02 PM, win32 said:

Can you do unit conversions in the classic win32 calculator? It crashes on me in LTSC 2019.

No, not at all, which shows how there is more "ugh" than "oomph" in Windows 10 (hence my username matches with how I feel about Windows 10!!). I can't even switch b/w standard and scientific modes!  :thumbdown:thumbdown

On 10/21/2019 at 10:02 PM, win32 said:

But yes, the OS is finally usable on a 5400 rpm HDD after replacing an OEM-bloated Windows 10 Home!

I feel more or less the same!! My Dell Inspiron 15 3567 came with a bloated Windows 10 Home which, even after uninstalling OEM bloat, was slow! But, IMO, LTSC only makes Windows 10 installs half-usable. For example, on a 5400rpm HDD, Firefox used to take 10 seconds to open up on Win10 compared to almost instantly on 8.1 and 3-4 seconds on Win7. Word, Excel etc. took about a minute to open up completely on Windows 10 compared to almost 5-6 seconds on both Windows 7 and 8.1.

Edited by Win10-Hater

Here I sit at the end of 2020 setting up a new high-end Dell workstation running Win 10 Pro for Workstations 20H2...  The machine has double the processor speed, double the RAM bandwidth, 3x the GPU speed, and 6x the I/O throughput capacity of my prior workstation, and I'm thinking I've got it in pretty good shape with "only" 137 processes running to support an idle desktop...

Seems snappy enough, though not knock-your-socks-off faster compared to my circa 2012 workstation running Win 8.1.  Seems just about equally interactive, actually.  It's not like Visual Studio starts up instantly.

The machine's specs are way beyond the computer of my wildest dreams when I was younger yet somehow still feels disappointingly bloated even after a half day of setting up and tweaking.  Guess I still have to tweak some more.   :)

I installed the latest VMware Workstation version and booted up a Win 10 VM I hadn't used in a while and realized it's still on v1909 build 18363.693 and still runs Big Muscle's Aero Glass for Win 8+ just fine.  Sigh.  I thought I had gotten used to these stupid, Windows 10 square borderless windows and now I see these windows with borders and rounded corners and feel the pain all over again.  Elegance is worth something and its loss hurts forever.

I hate how a machine that can complete a copy of a 2 GB file in well under a second still puts up a progress bar for the deletion of a single small file because I guess Microsoft feels laypeople need more feedback.

Why does bloat have to expand to equal the rate of hardware improvement?  Where is that written?

-Noel

5 hours ago, monkeylove said:

Remove Skype to stop Meet Up installation. Also, consider O&O Shutup, etc.

For other types of calculators and unit converters, click on the hamburger menu.

Downvote. Skype is necessary for me while meet-up is not, so I can't uninstall Skype only to get rid of meet-up.

Calculator crashes on me while trying to switch b/w standard and scientific modes and also while doing unit conversions. In addition, O&O ShutUp broke many things when I used it.

3 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

Downvote. Skype is necessary for me while meet-up is not, so I can't uninstall Skype only to get rid of meet-up.

Calculator crashes on me while trying to switch b/w standard and scientific modes and also while doing unit conversions. In addition, O&O ShutUp broke many things when I used it.

So, all in all, Windows 10 is the worst crap ever. Nothing has changed in approx. 5 years and tweaks that can be made to 8.x to make it fully usable on a desktop computer destroy Windows 10.

@monkeylove Double downvote.

Edited by Win10-Hater
removed some unnecessary spaces

He probably meant uninstalling UWP version of Skype. I presume the Win32 version, which is basically another Electron app and can be downloaded from official website, isn't connected to Meet Now as it exists in Win10.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:49 AM, NoelC said:

Here I sit at the end of 2020 setting up a new high-end Dell workstation running Win 10 Pro for Workstations 20H2...  The machine has double the processor speed, double the RAM bandwidth, 3x the GPU speed, and 6x the I/O throughput capacity of my prior workstation, and I'm thinking I've got it in pretty good shape with "only" 137 processes running to support an idle desktop...

Only to confirm your impression, but on the very opposite side of the spectrum (low power machines, where a comparison is more likely to show noticeable differences).

I just got two extremely el-cheapo (and old but in themselves "good enough") netbooks, identical, Asus EEE PC 12.1" 1201T (a not-so-common model sporting an AMD MV-40 processor).

These machines are (were) intended as "pure" netbooks, i.e. minimal browsing and "normal" everyday activities in a rather light and portable format with a several hours lasting battery.

Put on them both the max RAM (2 GB) and new 240 GB SSD drives.

On the first I restored (from recovery partition) the original OS (Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit), which I then updated to SP1 and via Windows Update to an as much "current" situation as possible.

On the second I experimented an install of Windows 10 home (last release 2020, directly from MS original iso).

I won't detail the amount of troubles I had to actually install the stupid Windows 10, as it would become a rant, but trust me it wasn't easy (on the other hand in the Windows 7 one having to deal with Windows Update (non)response times has been as well really trying)

Anyway, after having run them both a few hours and having let them "settle", I briefly tested the two PC's side by side (literally).

Quick sum up:
1) booting times: Windows 7 is seemingly a tadbit slower to get to the desktop, but Windows 10 is "faking", if I count the time until the Start button responds, W7 is faster
2) CPU usage: Windows 7  uses far less CPU at rest (including running in the background some of the built-in ASUS tools), W10 has a sh**tload of processes eating CPU time
3) RAM usage; Windows 7 at rest is around 532 MB, W10 at rest is around 1.1 GB (more than double)

Right now I am re-setting/re-installing the second netbook to Windows 7, and make it identical to the first one.

jaclaz

Good data point, Jaclaz.  And remember, when Win 7 came out people ranted about how bloated IT was compared to prior NT-based OSs, with the possible exception of Vista, which was essentially just stabilized for its first service pack then optimized to become Windows 7.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:49 AM, NoelC said:

Why does bloat have to expand to equal the rate of hardware improvement?  Where is that written?

-Noel

wasnt this always the case ?
not that i support it, but bloating software actually pushes hardware to become better/faster/bigger

to some point, we would still be on single core CPU if they didn't push for less GHz and more cores
we would still be on ~512 MB RAM if XP didn't become hungrier

but is that excuse to CRIPPLE and OS, or make such app (chromium crap) that will paralyse your system ? NO