Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

1909 doesn't download Candy Crush with default settings. Settings app is still clunky and buggy, tends to hang if you minimize it and crashes at times. Control Panel never had such issues.

MS started to even hide Win32 application crashes about 1-2 years ago with default settings. Even if you have debugger registered, you don't get the opportunity to attach it at the moment of the application crash. Was it to not scare the average Joe?

Homegroup remnants are still lurking (Give access to sub-menu in file/folder context menu). Supposedly next year's build for the masses will rid of them. They fixed the initial delay from 1809 when opening New sub-menu for creating file.

Also, it would make more sense for notification center to open on the screen on which the taskbar with the button to open it resides, plus an option to show notification area on other taskbars would be nice. If 3rd parties can do it, surely MS could too and have it neatly integrated into the shell. Oh well.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:37 AM, NoelC said:

Throughout time, the number of processes to support my empty desktop, with my favorite tweaks and "to work" software:

• XP:  High teens.  100 MB.
  • Vista:  30 or so.   800 MB.
  • Win 7:  34.  1 GB.
  • Win 8.1:  42.  1.2 GB.
  • Win 10:  120.  4 GB. 

3x the processes prior versions had to rock, just to get anything done.  Says it all right there.  No wonder it really doesn't seem to run any better on modern hardware than prior versions did on the best hardware of 7 years ago.  And you can't really trim it down any more, for several reasons.

Back when we thought Vista, Win 7, and Win 8.1 were bloated, we simply didn't know what True Bloat was.

-Noel

The number of processes in Win10 is misleading, as each svchost.exe instance in Win10 corresponds to just ONE service, not multiple ones like in the case of Win2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1.
Although it WILL use the old method if you install Windows 10 on a machine with only 1GB of RAM.

Of course there indeed some bloat with the support for UWP apps (like Settings or Search) but this doesn't make it 3x more processes. My Win10 1909 on a machine with 8GB of RAM and all stuff installed and not many tweaks uses only about ~2GB of RAM on empty desktop. By removing Windows Search and Windows Defender I could make it even smaller, but I actually want those. As long as you don't have any unknown process taking up lots of RAM (the Task Manager is now usable unlike others say) it's all fine.

Edited by MrMateczko

• 1 month later...

Today's news :whistle::

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-search-is-broken-and-shows-blank-results-how-to-fix/

A bug in the Windows 10 Search is causing blank results to be shown in both the Start Menu and in File Explorer.  This is making it impossible to search for and launch an application from the Start Menu.

Starting today, Windows 10 users all over the world have discovered that when they attempt to use Windows Search from the Start Menu to search for a file or application, the results just come up blank.

jaclaz

rule #1
don't use MS product if you want actually something to work !

been using voidtools "everything" for years, and for looking at system files jamsoftware's ultrasearch
both are ultra fast and light so f'ck MS search

• 3 weeks later...

Apple BootCamp report:  MS did good!?  BootCamp Windows 10 Pro, Feature update 1909, installed cleanly without removing Apple software!!!  Build 18363.657 Windows 10 Pro is actually working OK on the MacBook!!!  After the Feature 1903 destructive update, never expected a clean update from MS again.  But this is 2020 and life goes on.  Even got Logitech Bluetooth mouse working in Win 10 BootCamp!!!  It's a good "fertilizer" day!?  Imagine that!!!  :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

https://aware7.de/en/blog/eternaldarkness-critical-vulnerability-in-windows-10/

EternalDarkness is based on a buffer overflow. According to Microsoft, the following systems are currently affected:

• Windows 10 version 1903 for 32-bit systems
  • Windows 10 version 1903 for x64-based systems
  • Windows 10 Version 1903 for ARM64-based Systems
  • Windows Server, version 1903 (Server Core installation)
  • Windows 10 version 1909 for 32-bit systems
  • Windows 10 version 1909 for x64-based systems
  • Windows 10 Version 1909 for ARM64-based Systems
  • Windows Server, version 1909 (Server Core installation)

The article provides some mitigation info, but the no compression is seemingly only working on the Server versions.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 2:34 AM, NoelC said:

I'm making the best of the situation I have been dealt; I have to have Win 10 on my office workstation.

Not surprisingly, all the efforts I've put into training Win 10 to be a decent workhorse are paying off.  I'm not delirious; it's actually possible to derive some value from Win 10.  It's bloated and not my first choice - but it's not really worse than a lot of past versions.

With the For Workstations variant (and Pro) the local group policy editor can be used to set it to install updates only when you want them.  There are decent sites on the web that seek to inform whether the current crop of updates is "good enough".  One I like is AskWoody.com.

-Noel

I am not happy but coming around to the fact I need to make a decision about upgrading...

Have your got a procedure for avoiding all the crap with this version of Windows...

A lot has been discussed here...just wondering what is the best way to go about installing this .......Windows.......version....can't bring myself to say it....lol

bookie56

4 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

this .......Windows.......version....can't bring myself to say it....lol

Ow, come on, what's in a name?

Wouldn't a huge pile of manure smell as sweet by any other name? ;)

jaclaz

1 minute ago, jaclaz said:

Ow, come on, what's in a name?

Wouldn't a huge pile of manure smell as sweet by any other name? ;)

jaclaz

You have a point there.....lol....ok here goes Windows ten......lol

bookie32