Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

Updated the "Fast" PC from Build 18346 to Build 18348 but the PC ended up at Build 18346 after the Restart when the install was supposed to be completed.  I wonder if the only reason for this update was to see if the update could return to the previous update???  Probably not the case but the procedure took over 12 hours to complete.  It seems that the only way to stop automatic updates is to keep the PC powered off.  Is this beginning to sound like a load of crap?  Gullible comes to mind.  [But its a Beta release so it might have problems!]  {Yes, it's Windows 10.}

I've been mostly happy with Windows 10. Until today.

My wife's notebook that runs Home edition was sneakily upgraded to version 1809 at some point, and I've just realized most/all registry tweaks in the customized image I created are GONE. I had an extremely handy extra options in the context menu of This PC and it's empty.
Now I'm p***ed. A lot. A LOT.

4 hours ago, Octopuss said:

I've been mostly happy with Windows 10. Until today.

My wife's notebook that runs Home edition was sneakily upgraded to version 1809 at some point, and I've just realized most/all registry tweaks in the customized image I created are GONE. I had an extremely handy extra options in the context menu of This PC and it's empty.
Now I'm p***ed. A lot. A LOT.

That is perfectly understandable....but that has been typical of Windows 10 from the start.....the settings you make get overwritten with an update.....there are a lot of posts about the pitfalls with trying to setup Windows 10..it demands time and energy and is also a reason why many members don't use it as a production OS....

bookie32

On 3/6/2019 at 9:41 AM, Octopuss said:

My wife's notebook that runs Home edition was sneakily upgraded to version 1809 at some point, and I've just realized most/all registry tweaks in the customized image I created are GONE.

Would those be preserved if you were upgrading from Windows 7 to 10? Those upgrades were always shaky when it came to preserving global, non-user specific data. And so called feature updates act like OS upgrades.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:08 PM, Octopuss said:

I googled a workaround up - you can defer upgrades even on Home edition if you set connection type to metered. Going to give it a try on another machine.

Did anyone try installing Group Policy Editor on the Home edition and try to turn off updates from there?

There's also PolicyPlus.

Got Windows 10 for Workstations v1809 on an office computer (and I still have Win 8.1 on my home workstation).  Been running Windows 10 in the office since the start of the year.

It's not bad.  I like the dark theme.  And it's been stable.

So far just once I have had explorer do something to the wrong file and I'm sure I didn't fat finger the keyboard or mouse.  And it seems like Office notifications take a little while to show up sometimes.  But no other failures.  The machine's a beast, so mostly it doesn't matter that between 130 and 180 processes are running where 40 or 50 would do.  I definitely think performance suffers from the bloat.

Though I sometimes wonder how fast it would be if it were running a lean, trim OS on that same hardware.

-Noel

15 hours ago, NoelC said:

Got Windows 10 for Workstations v1809 on an office computer (and I still have Win 8.1 on my home workstation).  Been running Windows 10 in the office since the start of the year.

It's not bad.  I like the dark theme.  And it's been stable.

So far just once I have had explorer do something to the wrong file and I'm sure I didn't fat finger the keyboard or mouse.  And it seems like Office notifications take a little while to show up sometimes.  But no other failures.  The machine's a beast, so mostly it doesn't matter that between 130 and 180 processes are running where 40 or 50 would do.  I definitely think performance suffers from the bloat.

Though I sometimes wonder how fast it would be if it were running a lean, trim OS on that same hardware.

-Noel

Have to ask NoelC are you feeling ok....:buehehe:

The (good?) news are that updates (the ones that are automatically installed) and that (automatically? :unsure:) don't work will be automatically uninstalled, and  automatically prevented from being reinstalled for 30 days :w00t::

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4492307/windows-10-why-were-recently-installed-updates-removed

jaclaz

Changed my "Fast" Win 10 insider PC from a 64 bit laptop with an older slower 32 bit laptop.  To my surprise, the older slower 32 bit PC updated Win 10 much faster.  I wonder if Win 10 has a coding issue of 64 bit code versus 32 bit code?

When I run Ccleaner on a new updated install of Win 10, it finds and removes around 100-150 tracking pieces of code?!  That code comes straight from MS.  Side business?  Just talking crap.  :cool:

I'm making the best of the situation I have been dealt; I have to have Win 10 on my office workstation.

Not surprisingly, all the efforts I've put into training Win 10 to be a decent workhorse are paying off.  I'm not delirious; it's actually possible to derive some value from Win 10.  It's bloated and not my first choice - but it's not really worse than a lot of past versions.

With the For Workstations variant (and Pro) the local group policy editor can be used to set it to install updates only when you want them.  There are decent sites on the web that seek to inform whether the current crop of updates is "good enough".  One I like is AskWoody.com.

-Noel

My Kaby Lake HP bs-017ca ran somewhat slower and less stable (BSOD every 1.5-2 weeks) on Windows 7, and I want to stay in the Windows ecosystem, so a (heavily tweaked) Windows 10 will do.

But I won't stand to torture my other machines because I still have a few gripes, a few more than I ever had with 7 or NT5.

-Aunt's laptop (upgraded from win8) got stuck with full-screen start menu obscuring the desktop constantly and the settings app crashing 6/7 times. An upgrade from 1607 to 1809 fixed the crashes but not the start screen.

-Whilst attempting to use Edge last summer, it would keep forgetting my history (though if M$ could too that would have been great)

-When opening the Open-Shell start menu, the fade-in transition is very choppy sometimes, with the smoked-glass menu appearing through solid black.

Edited by win32