Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

18 hours ago, Roffen said:

My problem now is how to access and use storage media connected to the machine. I connect an external DVD drive and want to be able to copy files from the harddisk of the Win 10 machine to the external DVD. I don't know how to do it.

Windows 10: How to burn CDs and DVDs

11 hours ago, BudwS said:

"This PC" would work to do what you want to do.  The problem is finding it on Win 10.  It is located under the "Windows System" program link.

And if you install OpenShell, you get a replacement start menu, which presents "This PC" option right after you open it (well, actually, the very first time you try to open it, its Settings window opens). But still, the fastest way to open File Explorer is using the yellow folder icon in the taskbar (assuming it wasn't removed for any reason).

Traditionally, File Explorer used to be called just Explorer in the old days. Then at one point it was renamed to File Explorer. The confusion stems from the fact that the most common way to open it is not through the shortcut that just points to the File Explorer program, but through the special shortcut (that's my own term for simplicity sake), that opens the specific location in the File Explorer.

This special shortcut had different names throughout history, such as "My Computer", "Computer" and "This PC". But it always pointed to the same location where you can access all storage media connected to the computer. The only difference besides the name, they added some commonly used folders in newer Windows versions in the same place where you see all storage media.

BTW, I don't know how good it is, but there's this book called Windows 10 for Dummies. Perhaps it has some useful answers.

Edited by UCyborg
I'm blind...

• 2 weeks later...

I have for a while been trying to use Windows 10 but I don't see any future  with me and Win10 together. I don't find it usable,  I find it a veritable pain somewhere. There is a utility program named Winzip something and I don't know what to do with it. Everything I want to do runs painfully slow. Looks like the whole machine is soaked in syrup. I don't think I ever will be comfortable with it. I will at leas try to see if it will run Win2k, Win Xp or Win7, I have all of  them available. I think I will take a look at Rufus and see if I could make a bootable version of XP or Win7. I tried opening the cabinet  but it was difficult and I wouldn't risk damaging something.

^ sorry to be blunt but if everything runs slow, it's not windows 10, it's your pc.

if you are still using an old style hard drive for windows, then i can see why i might be slow as those drives are just awful for os use by todays standards.

i upgraded a machine a few months back for a friend as they still had a hard drive with the os on it and it was painfully slow to do anything, uninstalling software, loading programs, moving files..ughh

putting windows on a ssd makes all the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I can't get a grip on Win 10. I only want to access an external DVD drive to copy files to the hard disk. I have been fooling with this setup for a couple of days and sometimes think I have achieved something, but right now I am not capable of locating and using any of the drives.

Surprise me by showing how straightforward and easy this operation can be, even for a stranger in Win 10 land.

58 minutes ago, Roffen said:

Seems I can't get a grip on Win 10. I only want to access an external DVD drive to copy files to the hard disk. I have been fooling with this setup for a couple of days and sometimes think I have achieved something, but right now I am not capable of locating and using any of the drives.

Surprise me by showing how straightforward and easy this operation can be, even for a stranger in Win 10 land.

If you look near the bottom of the screen there should be a folder icon on the taskbar. Click that and then on the left hand side of the window that opens there should be a label saying “This PC”. That’ll give you a similar view to XP’s “My Computer”

19 hours ago, Roffen said:

@Roffen On the first screen shot below, (RIGHT CLICK) on your start button at the bottom left corner of your desktop.  The screen shot shows a dialog box that appears once you do this.

See the red arrow that I have inserted....... it is pointing to FILE EXPLORER.   Left click FILE EXPLORER and THIS PC will be the next window that starts up which is shown in the second screen shot below.  I have circled in RED the DVD drive that you are seeking to open.   I am confident that once you have journeyed this far, you know how to open your DVD drive and copy the files you wish to copy?    I hope this gives you a better insight at what you are expecting to see and do........

1580243706_screen1.thumb.JPG.579429a5457499e366938465d5a91c8e.JPG558587275_SCREEN2.thumb.JPG.7f682575e47ca6012bb244dc28023249.JPG

Hi Dclem and ojt_1998....:)

Having a hard time believing that Roffen is really interested in any help he gets....

He is on two threads this one that I started way back when and this one...

@Roffen

If you are going to post then respond with comments that let us know that we are being acknowledged for giving advice....

Just want some clarity...

*Roffen I am sorry if I have been a little harsh... Learning computers is a pain at the best of times and as I run a business helping lots of pensioners....should be a bit kinder to you....I would like you to write a post and then sort of answer if anything we suggests helps you so we know how to proceed....:D

Please don't be put off by a grumpy old git like me....lol

bookie32

Edited by bookie32
Little harsh on member...sorry!

The other day I installed Windows 10 on my old gaming PC just to see and wow I forgotten how the W10 interface is! I have been using a tamed version of W8.1 for so long it was a shock to land on a Metro screen or in an "app". Also I think i'm getting old I have no interest in battling the beast know as Windows 10.

Edited by helpdesk98

• 2 weeks later...

Just saying ...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-new-study-shows-home-edition-users-are-baffled-by-updates/

The single biggest complaint about Windows 10 is its approach to security and feature updates. Monthly cumulative updates and twice-yearly feature updates are downloaded and installed automatically, which can result in unexpected reboots that disrupt productivity and risk the loss of unsaved work. That pain point is particularly acute for anyone running Windows 10 Home edition, which lacks any controls for delaying and deferring those updates.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/articles/were-listening-to-you/

Mission Status: FAILED

jaclaz

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Yep that is bad enough...but I still say it would be OK if you could trust the updates not to **** up your machine....and the simple answer is we can't....