Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

Version 1809 is coming down the track.  Are you ready for some new crap?  Or is it, "Are you ready for some football?"  Just some crap to kick around in the computer world.  :cool:

On 8/17/2018 at 11:18 AM, RanCorX2 said:

it's true, the post setup thing is little annoying on rs4, best thing to do is click no on them all.

removall all preinstalled apps & store

install classic shell or startisback

and then setup everything else.

Hi RanCorX2...

Wont change the fact that Windows 10 is crap...I do install classic shell on most computers with windows 8 or 10 if the customer doesn't prefer the standard menu...but I can't go uninstalling apps etc...there would be nothing left...:ph34r:

bookie32

The local community college upgraded their lab computers to Windows 10 this semester.

I'm disappointed, because I'm starting to think that a forced upgrade to it might be inevitable in most cases (there are some important software programs dropping support for Windows 7 and 8 now, and things will only get worse once those versions reach EOL).

:puke::no::realmad:

c

Just done a fresh install of Win 10, at their request, on a relatives laptop. And found the install options to turn off the spyware etc reduced to two questions, and they were basically only locatation based. That's it, sticking with Windows 8.1, and running various Linux distros in a virtual machine. After that when Win software I use won't run anymore, then maybe a Mac. Not that I like the notion everything must be Apple to run on it!!!

Waywyrd.

9 hours ago, waywyrd said:

After that when Win software I use won't run anymore, then maybe a Mac. Not that I like the notion everything must be Apple to run on it!!!

Waywyrd.

Everything???  5 browers running, 1 is Apple.  Ghostery extention running, not Apple.  Acrobat Reader running, not Apple. Malwarebytes running, not Apple.  Stuffit Expander running, not Apple.  Garmin Express running, not Apple.  Microsoft Office running, not Apple but made for Apple.  And the beat goes on, not Crap, just Apple.  :cool:

And Windows 10 Pro is running on an Apple computer, not Apple but Apple still runs it.  :whistle:

7 hours ago, BudwS said:

Everything??? 

Absolutely not! While it's true that Apple has built quite an empire of services that makes it difficult to switch away from Mac (the so-called "walled garden"), but there's all sorts of non-Apple services and software that work just fine on a Mac. No need to subscribe to Apple (that's more of a problem with their smartphone and tablet offerings; the Mac has traditionally been more open (in the sense that you can run any software you please on it*, so long as it's compatible with the OS and underlying architecture), and mostly continues to be to the present day).

One thing that may bother you, however, is the lack of customization. It's not too bad though, and one can get used to it.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from running whatever OS you please on a Mac! If you get an older Mac from 2013-2015, you can run Windows 7 and 8.x, as well as whatever Linux distro you prefer.

c

*Since Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Apple incorporated Gatekeeper to lock down this ability, making it more iPhone-esque. However, since it's fairly straightforward to bypass and disable, it hasn't been a problem (they may very well make the feature undisable-able someday, but they haven't *so far*).

Thanks BudwS and cc333 for correcting me regards Apple. Probably will end up with a Mac when Windows no longer viable. Unless they make the iPhone-esque system feature locked. That happens, they'll treading in Microsoft footsteps. :-)

14 hours ago, waywyrd said:

Thanks BudwS and cc333 for correcting me regards Apple.

You're welcome! Having been using Macs in one way or another since 1998, I should know ;)

14 hours ago, waywyrd said:

Unless they make the iPhone-esque system feature locked. That happens, they'll treading in Microsoft footsteps. :-)

When that happens, the only viable OS will be Linux.

Of course, I remember back in 2011 when OS X 10.7 Lion came out, that it would be the end of the Mac as we knew it. Well, in retrospect, not so much.

While it was quite a bit buggier than it's predecessor, it gave way to a series of very solid versions (10.8 Mountain Lion and 10.9 Mavericks). 10.10 came along, and I found that it wasn't *too* bad, aside from the dreadful looking icons (I stayed on 10.9 until I figured out how to change them).

So, back on topic. Kinda. Windows 8.1, for all its flaws, is a much better OS than 10 will ever be for one simple reason: they're not constantly wiping away any customizations or other genuine enhancements.

But frankly, if a decent, modern web browser existed and a simple way to boot it on a modern-ish computer was devised (no VMs, that's cheating :) ), I'd be content with Windows 95 (or maybe 98 SE, because it has better USB drivers and rudimentary Firewire support; the "webbiness" of it never really bothered me much (in fact, IE5 (and later, 6) was my favorite browser until I discovered Firefox)). If I could somehow replicate IE5's look and feel and stick a modern, Firefox-derived rendering engine in it (with tabbed browsing), I'd be very happy.

Windows 2000 is very close, so I might settle on that. Or XP, for that matter...

Even Vista is better than 10!!

Sorry for rambling; it's been a long day, and I'm tired.

c

13 hours ago, dencorso said:

Or Free/Open/Net/DragonflyBSD, or illumos, or OpenVMS... :angel

Exactly.

By the way, I just tried something called Q4OS today, and it has a lot of potential, and when the "wine classic" theme is selected, it looks quite similar to Windows XP with the classic theme. Right down to the font (apparently, the makers of Q4OS have managed to incorporate a functional clone of the Tahoma font into the UI, probably by way of WINE, which is also preinstalled).

Anyway, if the walled garden apocalypse comes and there are no viable current-version OSes that aren't dumbed down to useless garbage, I think I'll give this a try as my main OS (even Ubuntu isn't quite what it used to be; the last version I really cared much for was 11.04, or whatever the last release was that didn't have the Unity desktop set as default with no Classic option).

c

The real alarm bell that should have gone off was not that OneDrive didn't support MS program files, but the reasons why it would exclude them. So it is obviously not doing just a file copy when it is copying files to the online folder, otherwise, it wouldn't matter if a file was a PST or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the file uploader is actually reading the contents of files before or during the file transfer.

Because of "Dumb Luck", I've turned off OneDrive on the Windows test PCs.  After reading the article jaclaz identified, I'm very glad.  Talk about CRAP, this is right up at the top of the pile.  Thanks for the information.  :cool:

Ok, this is actually Windows 10 related:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-kb4100347-intel-cpu-update-causing-boot-issues-and-pushed-to-amd-users/

On August 21st, Microsoft released an update to the May KB4100347 security update for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016, which contain Intel CPU microcode updates to mitigate Spectre vulnerabilities. After installing this latest version, Windows users are reporting that they are unable to properly boot Windows 10 or are having performance issues. To further complicate the issue, this Intel CPU update is also being pushed to users of AMD processors.

jaclaz

@Tripredacus. Don't know if this was the case for you or Mr. Turley at the eeJournal, but .pst files are locked when Outlook is open and cannot be copied or altered until Outlook is closed. I recalled this because when I do automated local backups I have to taskkill Outlook before copying the .pst file(s).