Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

5 hours ago, Anixx said:

I was apalled by how much places in Win7 had text not fitting in Russian locale. I never encountered such problem on XP and before. The problem remains in Win 8.1

I've read about those issues. And it's just getting worse when it comes to polish.

The issue I described applies to those dynamic spots, eg. in Event Viewer, if Source column is not wide enough to accommodate "DistributedCOM", in Windows 8.1 it may read "DistributedC...", but in Windows 10 with the same column width it becomes "DistributedC", so can't tell it was shortened. It only behaves properly if 4 or more characters of the string are cut off.

First Skip out of the chute is more like fertilizer, 18204 installed with no errors.  Just a kid from the farm used to working with crap.  This new crap may be destined for 2019?  The old Dell laptop took it in stride.  Still have most of the goodies locked down, like no background programs running and Ghostery on the browsers.  First impression is that is some good crap.  :cool:

On 7/28/2018 at 11:36 AM, BudwS said:

First impression is that is some good crap.  :cool:

I don't check frequently what's going on in the Insiders, but one of those builds fixed the Explorer crash that occurs when trying to invoke the classic interface for managing file associations. You're redirected to user non-friendly version in the Settings app either way. I've got a bad feeling one will need full blown shell replacement in the future if MS keeps deprecating useful stuff. There's a number of useful extensions that integrate well with Explorer and it'd be shame to throw it all away.

I won't hold my breath for the next stable build to feel any less of a beta test.

On 7/28/2018 at 11:36 AM, BudwS said:

Still have most of the goodies locked down, like no background programs running

Speaking of which, you're supposed to have those goodies running. I've noticed with how things are out of the box on build 17134, the checkbox in Settings app that keeps some things quiet if you turn it off turns itself back on each time you login.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:40 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

When even Windows can't implement the Windows API properly you know something's f***ed: https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45797/thread/e730c709/

And you never know what will break next. Here's another. This was supposedly 1709 issue. Under the title, 1803 is mentioned as well. But the text in the body only mentions build 16299 (aka. version 1709).

On the other hand, this little function never behaved 100% accordingly to documentation (on older Windows versions as well). Passing empty string to it doesn't do what it says it does.

Hmmm. :dubbio:

I would call the video largely incomplete and inconsistent (not entirely unlike the MS crappy Windows 10 it talks about)

The video can be summed up in three points:

1) there are evident inconsistencies in the UI design
2) it is undeniable that these inconsistencies exist and that the good MS guys didn't care about them
3) it is unfair to say that they are not capable of making the UI - if not visually agreeable - at least consistent, but simply they prioritized other things over the UI design

The missing point is WHAT (the heck :w00t:) are the other things that:

a. kept the good MS guys so busy to make a mess of the very thing that was sold to us as being innovative (the UI)
b. are so good (and innovative) that allow them to be excused for the lousy work they did on the UI

jaclaz

Perhaps it's low expectations?  I'm amazed each time an Insider update completes without a system crash or restoring to the release it started from!

It's the apps that I don't want running in the background as well as an app running at all when I haven't started it.  Maybe it's those apps that are programmed to run upon the completed update that are so important there is no time to address the UI issues?

Seems to run OK with low expectations and the security is great when the PC is powered off.  Just talking crap.  :cool:

"Fluent" design is in itself inconsistent - by design.  You never know where the UI elements are going to move to, or how they're going to look, or whether they're even going to be there.  So expectations are out the window.  The feeling of "I no longer remember how to use this" isn't supposed to recur for every use.

There does seem to be a need to display information in various sizes and aspect ratios.  Microsoft just wasn't terribly good at picking a way to do that.

And some design decisions are just dumb...  They may have sounded good on paper but in practice they just don't work.  Discoverability has suffered, for example, because of things like mysterious appearing scroll bars.  Just try to find all the configuration options in Skype 8.

-Noel

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

Just try to find all the configuration options in Skype 8.

-Noel

Once I found FaceTime, never used Skype again.  FaceTime just works.  It's that user friendly thing.  :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

More crap talk.  Old dog learns new trick!  Yes, Windows 10 Insider Preview is a fun game to me.  However, when I tried to create a DVD iso to use to update the "Fast" PC I got the message that there was not enough room on the empty DVD, 4.7 GB.  OK, so it is just another game challenge.  So for the first time ever I used a 32 GB thumb drive for the iso. Found that a program called Rufus was needed to make it happen. Rufus created the thumb drive Windows 10 Pro Build 17713.  Then used this iso to update the "Fast" PC.  IT WORKED!  Then the "Fast" PC did a normal Insider update to Build 17735.  This is some real old dog / new trick crap.  The "Fast" PC is a dual boot with Windows 7 Pro.  Each day brings some new crap.  Life is good!  :cool:

5 hours ago, mikedigitize said:

Welcome to the freedom of a USB stick :)

... and to the good work by Akeo/Pete Batard  :worship: (the Rufus program that has alleviated the booting troubles of countless Windows and Linux users).

jaclaz

Found this today it most defiantly breaks the system, but it kinda brings back the classic theme

w10classic1.thumb.jpg.ee9592edbd3fb00f0b95b6220e15e73b.jpg

Gunna play with it in a VM see if I can tweak some settings to make it work for a basic workstation, however, at the moment the taskbar dies anything remotely "metro" is unusable and most control panel items fail to load

On 6/11/2018 at 10:23 PM, bookie32 said:

What I do now is ignore this crap called an OS and stick to Windows 7...I spend enough time fixing customers computers with it installled....

This latest update starts with tons of questions and many of my customers are freaking out because they just don't understand what to do...and even if I try to expalain on the telephone...doesn't always work....

Shame on Microsoft with all this crap!!!

bookie32

it's true, the post setup thing is little annoying on rs4, best thing to do is click no on them all.

removall all preinstalled apps & store

install classic shell or startisback

and then setup everything else.