Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

The crap churns on.  Win 10 Pro Insider Preview just updated from 17074 to 17074.1002 in the 4 hour range on the Dell laptop.  The software is working (starts, restarts, shuts down and powers up).  Just another clean update.  In secure mode now, powered off.  :cool:

Just after 17074.1002 completed, 17083 Updated cleanly as well.  Even Windows Defender worked on the Dell with 17083, even though other people said that Windows Defender was trash???!!! A different sort of crap.  Back to secure mode.  :D

Edited by BudwS
1/27 Update

On 2018-01-28 at 3:55 AM, BudwS said:

The crap churns on.  Win 10 Pro Insider Preview just updated from 17074 to 17074.1002 in the 4 hour range on the Dell laptop.  The software is working (starts, restarts, shuts down and powers up).  Just another clean update.  In secure mode now, powered off.  :cool:

Just after 17074.1002 completed, 17083 Updated cleanly as well.  Even Windows Defender worked on the Dell with 17083, even though other people said that Windows Defender was trash???!!! A different sort of crap.  Back to secure mode.  :D

One gets the sneaking suspicion that you are starting to like Windows 10....but I suppose someONE does.....

bookie32

6 hours ago, bookie32 said:

One gets the sneaking suspicion that you are starting to like Windows 10....but I suppose someONE does.....

bookie32

Just curious:  Has the government there switched back to Windows 7 or are they still trying to use Windows 10?  :unsure:  I agree, someONE does???!!!

I think there is a Windows 10 government here.  Seems to be a lot of crap. :cool:

Booted my Win10 install this evening, installed the update that was released today and rebooted. The system has been running for over an hour. TiWorker.exe process has been started approximately 20 minutes after the boot and has been occupying one CPU core ever since non stop; every once in a while, CPU usage drops for few moments, then it's back to full utilization, so consequently, the CPU hasn't got a chance to downclock to the normal idle frequency. It also allocates and frees memory randomly, one moment it will consume 60 MB, the other moment 700 MB.

The change log says they fixed the random bug that occurs with legacy AMD GPUs with one display blinking after returning from sleep. Well, the system refuses to sleep now, only monitors turn off, maybe because of the above problem?

Here's another issue that has been in there for who knows how long. Try to select anything in 7-Zip's file view by making the selection rectangle with a mouse and be sure you have horizontal scrollbar, This will make the mouse jump to the corner of the screen.

On my laptop running 32-bit Windows 10, Windows Update doesn't detect today's update. Also noticed something odd there, the previous update is listed twice, the first instance says installed successfully, the second says failed with error code 0x80240034.

Another thing I've noticed on multiple computers since FCU, mouse cursor sometimes briefly lags for no apparent reason.

Edited by UCyborg

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Booted my Win10 install this evening, installed the update that was released today and rebooted. The system has been running for over an hour. TiWorker.exe process has been started approximately 20 minutes after the boot and has been occupying one CPU core ever since non stop; every once in a while, CPU usage drops for few moments, then it's back to full utilization, so consequently, the CPU hasn't got a chance to downclock to the normal idle frequency. It also allocates and frees memory randomly, one moment it will consume 60 MB, the other moment 700 MB.

The change log says they fixed the random bug that occurs with legacy AMD GPUs with one display blinking after returning from sleep. Well, the system refuses to sleep now, only monitors turn off, maybe because of the above problem?

Here's another issue that has been in there for who knows how long. Try to select anything in 7-Zip's file view by making the selection rectangle with a mouse and be sure you have horizontal scrollbar, This will make the mouse jump to the corner of the screen.

On my laptop running 32-bit Windows 10, Windows Update doesn't detect today's update. Also noticed something odd there, the previous update is listed twice, the first instance says installed successfully, the second says failed with error code 0x80240034.

Another thing I've noticed on multiple computers since FCU, mouse cursor sometimes briefly lags for no apparent reason.

Most of U'r observations I experiance too, on my laptop, for a long time. One of the reasons I have mint on the same computer, just for the silence when computing :cool:

I figured what was TiWorker.exe doing for such a long time: installing update KB4074608, which BTW didn't end up in the update history, but was on the list of installed updates. I don't know when sleep mode broke on this PC (and other power saving modes too). It must have been some older update, not the latest. I only boot to Windows 10 occasionally to see how it changes over time. There's always something broken. Eternal beta at its finest.

18 hours ago, BudwS said:

Just curious:  Has the government there switched back to Windows 7 or are they still trying to use Windows 10?  :unsure:  I agree, someONE does???!!!

I think there is a Windows 10 government here.  Seems to be a lot of crap. :cool:

Hi Mate!

No idea if they are using Windows 10 or 7....I do see a lot of computers in different offices...but nothing connected to local government....

bookie32

I had a customer that came day before yesterday....she is a sweat little old lady...she said she remembered my warning about not upgrading Windows 7  to 10 if the manufacturer hasn't drivers for the computer...

I thought...smart lady...but it turns out that she had been using Windows 10 on her Windows 7 only computer for quite some time... but at this moment I just thought the computer had finally updated from Windows 7 to 10 after several attempts over the months....or so I thought....

The problem, howerver, was she had the Windows creator edition install on the computer and everything stood still couldn't even get to desktop after several hours of waiting...

I backed up her files and then reset it to the previous version.....it was here I discovered she had had Windows 10 for a while and that Windows 10 Creators Edition was waiting to install....also the fact she had told me porky pies.....lol

I know some people wouldn't notice if the version changed....they would put it down to an update......;)

I didn't say anything...just reinstalled Windows 7 and she is a happy bunny again....

God I just love hating Windows 10....gives me something to b***h about....;)

bookie32

The only government contracts that I have worked on have dealt with either Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows IoT. So far, the only editions of Windows 10 that are decent enough to consider using, despite the amount of hoops required to jump through to get those versions.

8 hours ago, bookie32 said:

I didn't say anything...just reinstalled Windows 7 and she is a happy bunny again....

God I just love hating Windows 10....gives me something to b***h about....;)

bookie32

You are my hero!  I only do serious Windows stuff on the Windows 7 Pro Latitude with the SSD.  The Windows 10 PC only gets to stay up long enough to check Insider Mail and then back to secure mode, powered off.  I have trouble understanding why anyone would want to use Windows 10 as a production PC but then many people don't understand why our production computer is an iMac with both Apple and Microsoft software installed (It just works.).  Too busy to b***h but I laugh a lot. (US politics is comedy central.)  Probably running Windows 10, too.  :cool:

Too much of privacy intrusion these days by Microsoft. How they treat consumers are all dumb.

There has been an increase in free versions of programs that purport to scan computers for various errors, and then use alarming, coercive messages to scare customers into buying a premium version of the same program. The paid version of these programs, usually called cleaner or optimizer applications, purportedly fixes the problems discovered by the free version. We find this practice problematic because it can pressure customers into making unnecessary purchase decisions.

To help protect customers from receiving such coercive messaging, we are updating our evaluation criteria to specify that programs must not use alarming or coercive messaging that can put pressure on customers into making a purchase or performing other actions. We use the evaluation criteria to determine what programs are identified as malware and unwanted software. In the future, programs that display coercive messaging will be classified as unwanted software, detected, and removed.

This update comes in addition to our other long-standing customer protection requirements designed to keep our customers from being deceived by programs that display misleading, exaggerated, or threatening messages about a system’s health. In February 2016, we required cleaner and optimizer programs that purport to clean up systems and optimize performance to provide customers with detailed information about what purportedly needs to be fixed. This requirement aims to protect customers from programs that present aggregate “error” results with no specific details, without providing customers with the ability to assess and validate the so-called errors.

We have recently updated our evaluation criteria to state:

Unwanted behaviors: coercive messaging

Programs must not display alarming or coercive messages or misleading content to pressure you into paying for additional services or performing superfluous actions.

Software that coerces users may display the following characteristics, among others:

Reports errors in an exaggerated or alarming manner about the user’s system and requires the user to pay for fixing the errors or issues monetarily or by performing other actions such as taking a survey, downloading a file, signing up for a newsletter, etc.

Suggests that no other actions will correct the reported errors or issues

Requires the user to act within a limited period of time to get the purported issue resolved

Starting March 1, 2018, Windows Defender Antivirus and other Microsoft security products will classify programs that display coercive messages as unwanted software, which will be detected and removed. If you’re a software developer and want to validate the detection of your programs, visit the Windows Defender Security Intelligence portal.

Customer protection is our top priority. We adjust, expand, and update our evaluation criteria based on customer feedback and in order to capture the latest developments in unwanted software and other threats. We encourage our customers to submit programs that exhibit unwanted behaviors related to coercive messaging, or other unwanted or malicious behaviors in general.

Barak Shein

Windows Defender Security Research

Protecting Customers From Being Intimidated Into Making An Unnecessary Purchase

On 2018-02-01 at 6:12 PM, matfx2007 said:

I do frequently visit IKEA store (in South East Asia Country) all of their computers are still using Windows 7, not seeing any other version.:)

Sadly the founder of IKEA has just passed away at the ripe old age of 91....He proved without any doubt at all staff are treated as equals actually works and he had one of the most successful companies in the world...

I just hope that they keep to his way of running the company....

bookie32

I have no idea.

Be that as it may, I just bought a Dell Precision M6800 (Haswell based, so could conceivably run XP minimally with some hacks), and it is coming with Windows 7. I could go with 10, but, eh... 7 is enough for me, and it still has 2 years yet before EOL (and people will probably devise ways of extending it and keeping it relatively up to date, as done with XP).

I won't touch 10 with a 10 foot pole (pun intended :) ), unless it's quarantined within a VM.

c

Edited by cc333