Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

15 minutes ago, cc333 said:

and if there weren't specific programs I need to run, I'd probably be OK with Linux for modern stuff.

In Linux it is all the same, they are throwing away all customizations, good old interfaces and going touch-friendly. Since 2008 I maintained good old KDE3 that was scrapped but finally I am fed and bored with those destructors. KDE3 is analog of XP in Linux world,

original.png

original.png

original.jpg

and KDE2 in my opinion was even better (analog of Win2000). Since then they pushed for xaml-based interface known as "Plasma" (analog of Metro) and in Gnome world similar things happened (they went touch and abolished the idea of desktop, start meny, tray). That lead to multiple forks and re-creations of Gnome2 and a fork of KDE3, but all based on older toolkits that are going or already dropped from all distros. And there are no resources to port them on newer toolkits that are changing too fast anyway and look worse and more gigantic each time.

Edited by Anixx

I remember KDE2 and 3. They were a bit hard to get used to (almost *too* customizable for the average person :) ), but quite powerful and flexible.

I'm glad you're maintaining it, because I could never quite figure out KDE4+, and it's gotten rather big and heavy. Xfce is a fairly good substitute, but it's actually gotten a bit heavy too. LXDE is the lightest of the modern, full featured environments I've tried, and it's decently fast and light.

The old KDE and GNOME of yore were the best, though!

c

7 minutes ago, cc333 said:

I'm glad you're maintaining it,

No longer. Windows is more customizable, and technically better in any respect. It also keeps binary compatibility with software for a longer time.

7 minutes ago, cc333 said:

The old KDE and GNOME of yore were the best, though!

Definitely. Xfce and Lxde are just students' graduation projects, no more, in comparison. I do not know how people are using them. The usable desktops were killed when Nadella-kind guys came in and said everything done before them was wrong, desktop is dying, user is stupid and does not need customizability and they know better.

Edited by Anixx

Ah, I see. When did you stop maintaining it? Any work you did would probably be newer than whatever came stock on older Linuxes, such as Fedora Core 1-4.

Yeah, everyone seems to have this mistaken understanding that people want something *better*, yet everything they've thrown at us is quantifiably worse in almost every respect.

We just want something that works! I mean, there's no reason why we can't have an ultra modern OS like 10 function with the UI of XP, and without Telemetry.

My point being, one doesn't need to reinvent the UI in order to add new functionality!

c

19 minutes ago, cc333 said:

Ah, I see. When did you stop maintaining it?

Technically, KDE3 is available for latest openSUSE release, and MAYBE will be available for a few next ones. I do not use Linux any more.

19 minutes ago, cc333 said:

My point being, one doesn't need to reinvent the UI in order to add new functionality!

Yes, under Gates the doctine was mostly of not removing any features and functions. Only adding newer ones as an option. Windows XP was the first Windows version that featured removal or deprecation of some functions. But that was not a major thing.

But on Linux things are much worse. On Windows they do not as often as on Linux throw away toolkits. Now Nadella strives to push his Metro and called the Win32 apps "legacy" but I doubt he will succeed in killing Win32 (or that would be instant death of Microsoft). Previously they also dropped Win16 (while it is still supported on some Windows versions). But on Linux they replace toolkits every 3-4 years, with all software written in those toolkits scrapped as well, if not rewritten by the authors.

That's why, Windows 10 is Linuxization of Windows - various toolkits, various styles in every application, constant beta with releases every half a year which do not fix bugs. Hardware that stops working after update and you always wait for a next update with a fix. Something like Ubuntu (the worst Linux distro).

Edited by Anixx

LOL, I finally got my Win 10 test system to update, and courtesy the newest VMware Workstation release I can go back to full-screen immersion on all 3 monitors.  My plan was to give v1703 a real workout, once I got the latest update, using it as my primary system for a few days just as I do my Win 8.1 host system.

Now a new problem has arisen...  I absolutely can't make it see the shares on my Win 7 server system.  It just won't connect.

I have put much effort into it, and I know a thing or two about Windows networking.  Apparently Win 10 and Win 7 just aren't speaking the same language.  The Win 7 system can see the Win 10 shares.  The Win 10 system can see the Win 8.1 shares.  But the Win 10 system can't see the Win 7 shares.

My server is named SVN.  All my systems have been able to see \\SVN\C for example (a share of drive C, where administrators have full permissions).  All systems use the same username/password, and that user is a member of Administrators on all systems.  It's very well integrated - when it works.

The Win 10 system can't see shares on \\SVN at all.  Instead it requires me to enter \\SVN.carboni.lan (my local domain) to be able to sense there's a computer out there at all, and it incessantly asks for a username and password.

When is a local account not the same as what a local account used to be?

The crap intensifies.

-Noel

I've had many issues with Windows SMB networking with Microsoft BOB 10 too. I also know a little something about Windows networking. Never had any issues with XP/7/8.1- network discovery, permissions, authentication, folder sharing "just worked" all the time. I think they broke something in SMB sharing or credential manager in BOB 10. I've tried everything, even turning on the legacy and deprecated NetBIOS, turning on SMBv1, disabling it, setting all the advanced sharing settings and permissions correctly, entered all the credentials properly. All other machines can talk to each other, just not the BOB one. Thankfully, I only boot into BOB only once a year or so, to test a compatible version of Classic Shell. Obnoxiously behaving operating systems will be ignored by me for as long as possible. :D Every few days there's a useless 1 GB update of nothingness - no value for me and only annoyances in this OS.

Edited by xpclient

@NoelC, have you tried to install Win10 on bare metal to see if the behavior is the same?

Yes, I know you are vastly more experienced than I am, and are very well versed in Windows networking, not to mention with your typical setup of VMs and of course your hardware and LAN setup, and I'm not at all defending Win10, nor am I implying that the crap is not indeed intensifying, but as a way to eliminate a variable I just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

Cheers and Regards

15 hours ago, NoelC said:

LOL, I finally got my Win 10 test system to update, and courtesy the newest VMware Workstation release I can go back to full-screen immersion on all 3 monitors.  My plan was to give v1703 a real workout, once I got the latest update, using it as my primary system for a few days just as I do my Win 8.1 host system.

When is a local account not the same as what a local account used to be?

The crap intensifies.

-Noel

Is this Win 10 released software or Insider Preview software? Just wondering.  I've lost track of the released Win 10.  Ditto on the crap.

Bud

https://www.bishopfox.com/blog/2017/10/a-bug-has-no-name-multiple-heap-buffer-overflows-in-the-windows-dns-client/

CVE-2017-11779 fixed by Microsoft in October of 2017, covers multiple memory corruption vulnerabilities in the Windows DNS client. The issues affect computers running Windows 8/ Server 2012 or later, and can be triggered by a malicious DNS response. An attacker can exploit this issue to gain arbitrary code execution in the context of the application that made the DNS request.

This means that if an attacker controls your DNS server (e.g., through a Man-in-the-Middle attack or a malicious coffee-shop hotspot) – they can gain access to your system. This doesn’t only affect web browsers – your computer makes DNS queries in the background all the time, and any query can be responded to in order to trigger this issue.

What is Affected and How Do We Fix This?

These vulnerabilities affect all versions of Windows from Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 through Windows 10 / Windows Server 2016. Versions of Windows prior to this are not vulnerable.

To remediate this vulnerability, immediately apply the Microsoft security patches released in October 2017.

... just sayin' ... :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

While I don't mind Metro, I really hate how Microsoft is so pushy with Windows 10's Apps and such, as if they are trying to emulate Apple with their mobile OS and turn their desktop OS into a walled garden...

Edited by IceFairyAmy

On 2017-10-05 at 6:07 PM, Anixx said:

No longer. Windows is more customizable, and technically better in any respect. It also keeps binary compatibility with software for a longer time.

Definitely. Xfce and Lxde are just students' graduation projects, no more, in comparison. I do not know how people are using them. The usable desktops were killed when Nadella-kind guys came in and said everything done before them was wrong, desktop is dying, user is stupid and does not need customizability and they know better.

Sorry....but Xfce shouldn't be compared to KDE...they are totally different desktop environments and have their followers for different reasons....

I like Xfce because it is light weight and a lot of the time I don't need all the stuff that comes with KDE...if I want all of what comes with KDE then I would install KDE...it is that simple different tastes different distro....:D

I haven't looked at KDE for some time and will set it up in VMWare to see what gives today....

bookie32

37 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

I haven't looked at KDE for some time and will set it up in VMWare to see what gives today....

Your distro does not allow to install several desktops?