Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

I guess anything below XP, such as Windows 2000, is considered NT.

Nevertheless, with all the excellent hacks and stuff that blackwingcat has added to it, it's roughly equivalent to XP in many fundamental ways anyway (as it was in the beginning (XP RTM and 2000 were quite similar, except perhaps for some interface tweaks and improved, but largely compatible APIs and kernel); nowadays, stock XP SP3 and stock 2K SP4 are quite different (stock 2K is almost useless), and BWC's hacks help to close that gap), so it's not surprising to see a few people using it for web surfing.

I find it fascinating that almost half of the PC world still uses Windows 7. It's like MS got it so "right" that nobody wants to give it up (it's like Vista, but better, and it has aged fairly well (compared to, say, Apple's Mac OS X 10.6, which was released contemporaneously with 7, and is now almost completely abandoned), so it's still quite modern and capable of many of the social media-y and webby things people expect nowadays (don't ask me what those things are, because I'm stuck in 2012, and most of those things, save for Facebook and Twitter perhaps (to name a few), didn't yet exist then :) ).

c

well yeah I know win2k pretty much as NT because it always said something as "based on NT" or whatever on the school PCs.

and this doesnt change that you REALLY shouldnt use these to go into the web.

you aint getting an antivirus anywhere, and the browser is also old as f. I mean IE6 on XP isnt even doing TLS1.0, and SSL3 is definitely off the list coz the internet has something against dogs (/s) although it wouldnt even surprise me if win2k would even fly without SSL3 and only use SSL2, but apparently that is like an ocean, very easy to drown in, unless you have something to keep yourself up with (which usually isnt the case in the ocean)

well jokes about the naming of security problems aside, anyone with an IQ above room temperature (just to be sure, I mean in Celsius) should see that it isnt wise to use win2k or even older on the internet.

On 10/1/2017 at 3:29 PM, My1 said:

but WTF Windows NT users now surfing in the web?

If I even *COULD* get a browser that worked reasonably on NT4 I WOULD switch back to it as my main OS.. USB mass storage can be done, and I wouldn't really miss the other things that plug in that way.

Now this won't let me edit ^^ THAT... all I wanted to do was add that *actually the ultimate pinnacle of the Windows OS was Win2K

On 10/2/2017 at 12:27 AM, cc333 said:

I find it fascinating that almost half of the PC world still uses Windows 7. It's like MS got it so "right" that nobody wants to give it up

I don't think it was really all that "right",,,  There are things I can name that are better in other versions.  It's just that Windows 8 had a fundamental UI flaw and WIndows 10 is so "wrong" that nobody wants it on its own merits.  One of the prime reasons for getting Windows 10 runs along the lines of "my computer died and the new one came with Win 10".

Only a few of us geeks have felt the good in Darth Win8er and managed to turn it back to the good side of the force.  People generally don't want to have to be degreed in computer science and work that hard to make their OS acceptable for use.

-Noel

Without Windows 7's crappy Start menu, there would be no Classic Shell. Without its crappy taskbar, there would be no 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. I think even Voidtools Everything was born because Vista's search was so crap. MPC-HC and VLC became popular because of WMP 11/12 garbage. VistaSwitcher exists because of the ruined Alt-Tab. The cracks appeared in Windows quality with Vista and now the whole dam has collapsed.

3 hours ago, xpclient said:

Without Windows 7's crappy Start menu, there would be no Classic Shell. Without its crappy taskbar, there would be no 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. I think even Voidtools Everything was born because Vista's search was so crap. MPC-HC and VLC became popular because of WMP 11/12 garbage. VistaSwitcher exists because of the ruined Alt-Tab. The cracks appeared in Windows quality with Vista and now the whole dam has collapsed.

To be fair... Windows Media Player was always garbage :whistle:

On 2/10/2017 at 9:33 AM, My1 said:

well jokes about the naming of security problems aside, anyone with an IQ above room temperature (just to be sure, I mean in Celsius) should see that it isnt wise to use win2k or even older on the internet.

I am way cooler. ;)

I decommissioned only recently (march or april this year) a couple of machines, running respectively NT 4.00 and Windows 2K that worked just fine for the parts of the Internet that were needed.

Both ran 24/7 for the last 14 years or so without issues of any kind (only replaced some power supplies and some disks).

In the good ol' times we used to call this "work", it involved no access to social sites, no messaging, no lolcats, no videos, you get the idea :whistle:.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

1 hour ago, greenhillmaniac said:

To be fair... Windows Media Player was always garbage :whistle:

WMP 10 was decent although nowhere near as good as third party media players. But they annihilated the UI in WMP12.

New crap to think about:  16299.15, 1709.  This may be close to the "Fall" Windows 10 Release.  However, not having purchased Win 10 ever, how is the Fall release marketed?  Can Win 10 Pro be bought on DVD in a store or is it only available on USB thumb drive?  Only available from from Windows Store? Or only available by buying a computer that has it installed?  Can the product even be bought in a free standing form?  Does it really cost a couple of hundred dollars?  Will it only install on selected computers?????  Or maybe it's time to leave the Win 10 test computers in secure mode.

Only interested in having the Fall released Win 10 Pro product installed on one of the current test computers to compare against future Insider Preview Releases on the remaining test computers.  Might dual boot it with the Windows 7 Pro, Dell Latitude.  Also, want to be able to re-install it when it quits working and make sure that the key is known.  (6 clean updates on each of 3 test computers have peaked my interest.)  It may just be a waste of money?  :cool: [The Arizona summer sun may have overheated the thinking system?!]

It's reminding me ever more of my experiences with Win98, random reboots losing me work (no difference to *me* if it's a crash or updates that do that).  Random breakages of software. Because they haven't yet made it lose you enough time with the forced reboots and software breakages to *quite* be as bad as '98 they waste more by keep changing the UI so you have to go hunting for things you previously knew how and where to do.

Perhaps the strategy is to get everyone used to this crap, then go backwards to something where the user experience is more stable and work doesn't get destroyed, and call these backward steps "progress" hoping everyone forgot it used to be that way in previous versions. 

6 hours ago, BeardedBlunder said:

Perhaps the strategy is to get everyone used to this crap, then go backwards to something where the user experience is more stable and work doesn't get destroyed, and call these backward steps "progress" hoping everyone forgot it used to be that way in previous versions. 

They did exactly that with Start menu and it worked.

And it's not really that good. I suppose there *are* some genuine improvements in the Win10 start menu somewhere (though I can't for the life of me fathom what they are), but it's just such a strangely distorted and mutant thing that I can't stand using it. The good old menu from Windows *95* was perfect, in my opinion, though I did appreciate some of the enhancements it got in Windows 98, 2000, and XP, though, most notable of which is drag-and-drop. What was nice is that it didn't otherwise change how the menu looked or worked.

XP's start menu was kinda weird at first, but not that bad really. I still prefer the good old classic menu though.

ClassicStartMenu is great and all, but it's really stupid that Microsoft couldn't just leave the built-in menu alone (do what they did in XP and Vista: keep the old menu around, but offer the new one as an option).

And that's not all, because there are so many things that have been ruined in Windows 10. Pretty much every NT 5.x based OS has a perfect UI, though 6.x-based Windows (except 8.x) are OK too with some tweaks. Windows 10, though? It's just a stupid, jumbled mess of new technologies that are cobbled into an ugly and unchangeable UI. And don't even get me started about Telemetry!

Let's just say that I'm not really liking the direction modern Windows (and Mac OS) has taken lately, and if there weren't specific programs I need to run, I'd probably be OK with Linux for modern stuff.

Fortunately, Windows 7 (and Mac OS 10.9) still have enough life left that I can keep going with them for at least a few more years.

c