Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

It's funny, you call it "great" while at the same time craving the same things we all are...

Those of us whom you've characterized as "not liking" Windows 10 want the same things you do, and maybe even a little improvement of Windows 10 where it counts.  Computers keep advancing, but you'd be hard pressed to name anything that Microsoft has done to advance the state of the art of operating systems.

Microsoft is making changes that benefit THEM mostly, and frankly they're just adding Apps and advancing the Microsoft Store integration of the product.

Personally I've been trying with each release in a virtual machine to tweak it back into something I can use, so that I might be able to move my main work systems up to it.  Trouble is, I find I keep having to fight Microsoft, because almost everything they're doing to Windows 10 I find I want to undo.  I don't want Apps, cloud-integration, and I prefer to have my systems send in no telemetry and to be completely under MY control.  Mostly I've been successful, but what's left seems no better than Windows 8.1 or 7 - which are the operating systems I'm still running on my work system hardware.

Out of curiosity, what do you feel is "great" about it?  Are there things you couldn't do with older versions that you find good or pleasant?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

20 hours ago, Drazick said:

There are few things I'd like to see:

• Customization on Installation (I'd really like the option not to install many many things).
  • Less services in the background.
  • Being able to shut down Cortana without losing the search functionality.
  • Being able to shut down telemetry.

I like the latest update (1703).
Windows 10 gets more coherency with each update.
I hope next updates will emphasize being light and efficient on resources.

nothing of this will happen

1. there is no Embedded version anymore (still think its great OS ?)
2. won't happen coz of 1 and 4
3. nope, they need this to again control monopoly
4. won't happen, ever ever, use win 2000 instead

there is no "light on resources", if anything win 8 and 10 are worst, as they contain more .net code than any winnt in past
your "experience" gets blinded by hardware and correct driver support

compare me how XP that runs with no features removed on 64 MB RAM, installs within 5 minutes and takes ~200 MB disk space
is heavier than winblows 10 ?

On 2017-05-07 at 6:49 AM, Drazick said:

I can tell people here do not like Windows 10.

Personally I think Windows 10 is great.
Among the OS's I use daily (Linux Ubuntu + Mint, macOS 10.11 and Windows 10) I like it the best.
It is the fastest and most stable.

There are few things I'd like to see:

• Customization on Installation (I'd really like the option not to install many many things).
  • Less services in the background.
  • Being able to shut down Cortana without losing the search functionality.
  • Being able to shut down telemetry.

I like the latest update (1703).
Windows 10 gets more coherency with each update.
I hope next updates will emphasize being light and efficient on resources.

Stable....now there is something to laugh at....that has made my day...stable my arse!! Explain why you think Windows 10 is stable....Even computers that are coming with Windows 10 are not exactly what you can call stable....

Sorry, no offense just don't see where this crap is stable!!

I have had customers that have bought Windows 10 computers....things looked ok to them ....but then Microsoft releases one stupid bloody update after another that just stops things working...

bookie

Edited by bookie32

New crap, old crap, no Amazing Crap:  Dell laptop is at 16188 now.  Four options for an Internet connection, 1 wired and 3 wireless.  However, Windows 10, 16188, can't find any of them!  It is Stable now, nothing goes out and nothing comes in.  It does power up and power down!  It is a dual boot PC and the Win 7 Pro can use any one of the four options for the Internet connection.  And the Win 7 is more Stable than the Win 10 even when it goes out into the wide world of computing.  Crap or crapless, that is the option.  Oh, by the way, the MacBook runs Windows 10, 16188, with no apparent issues.  The Apple just seems to work even if it runs Win 10!  I wonder what computers are the developers using to create and test Win 10?  I keep hearing that they think the product runs quite well.  I see which computer that it runs on here.

You can, with a significant customization effort, make Windows 10 private and quiet online.  Of course, it's a bit of a moving target...

I booted my Win 10 v1703 VM up yesterday and just let it sit there all day without using it interactively.  This was the summary of online contacts:

[07-May-17 11:54:08] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 11:54:52] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 11:55:37] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 11:56:22] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 11:57:07] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 11:57:52] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 11:58:37] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 11:59:22] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 12:00:07] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 12:00:52] Client 192.168.2.26, www.msftconnecttest.com A not found (1) --- blacklisted by DNS proxy ---
[07-May-17 13:55:50] Client 192.168.2.26, time.nist.gov A resolved from Forwarding Server as 129.6.15.28
[07-May-17 19:37:33] Client 192.168.2.26, ctldl.windowsupdate.com A resolved from Forwarding Server as 118.214.160.178

Time.nist.gov is an internet time server, and ctldl.windowsupdate.com is actually a security certificate server (i.e., a legitimate online contact, assuming you feel code signing is legitimate).

It tried - and as you can see failed - to contact www.msftconnecttest.com for about 7 minutes after bootup, then fell silent.  As far as I know this just feeds the Network Connection Status Indication (NCSI), which can be redirected or disabled via the registry or Group Policy.  It's on my list of things to tweak still...

Edit:  This stopped all further attempts to connect to www.msftconnecttest.com:

::
::  Disable active NCSI probing
    SetACL -silent -ot "reg" -on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkConnectivityStatusIndicator" -actn setowner -ownr "n:Administrators"
    REG ADD                      "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkConnectivityStatusIndicator" /f /v "EnableActiveProbing" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 >nul
    REG ADD                      "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkConnectivityStatusIndicator" /f /v "NoActiveProbe" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 >nul
    SetACL -silent -ot "reg" -on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet" -actn setowner -ownr "n:Administrators"
    REG ADD                      "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet" /f /v "EnableActiveProbing" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 >nul

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Hi guys....your interpretation of "Stable" isn't what I had in mind and to get this so called stability means you have to strip Windows 10 of almost everything....:D

Out of the box this is still a big pile of crap...and seems to be getting worse by the minute...

bookie

1 hour ago, vinifera said:

you're blocking via hardware firewall or ... ?

I use a DNS proxy package and also the Sphinx software firewall.

Start with reply 12 here:  http://win10epicfail.proboards.com/post/2284/thread

Also, I've described my overall security environment here:  https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/a-description-of-my-quite-effective-security-environment-long/

The key of my post above was that with tweaking the system can be made not to even try to communicate online.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

More Amazing Crap:  The Dell laptop now has the WIFI connection and is running the 16188 Win 10.  What led up to this amazing magic?  Disabled all network adapters in Device Manager.  Turned off every app option including those running in background and privacy options in Settings.  Restarted PC.  When it came back up enabled on WIFI adapter and tried to connect.  The available networks showed up and the normal connection worked!  "Smoke and Mirrors" comes to mind.

23 minutes ago, BudwS said:

More Amazing Crap:  The Dell laptop now has the WIFI connection and is running the 16188 Win 10.  What led up to this amazing magic?  Disabled all network adapters in Device Manager.  Turned off every app option including those running in background and privacy options in Settings.  Restarted PC.  When it came back up enabled on WIFI adapter and tried to connect.  The available networks showed up and the normal connection worked!  "Smoke and Mirrors" comes to mind.

Just what any regular/average user would/will try, out of the box, I suppose....

On 2017-05-11 at 6:29 AM, mikedigitize said:

Just what any regular/average user would/will try, out of the box, I suppose....

This I like....I agree every Joe Bodd would think of this...lol

bookie

Amazing Crap Continued:  The Dell laptop updated to 16193 with "No WIFI" again.  However, used the same procedure again that brought WIFI back to 16188.  And WIFI was back and connected to the normal internet provider.  The puzzle pieces are becoming clearer.  No driver software was changed.  No line commands were used.  No changes were made with Regedit.  It appears that some parameter, app or OS software is running after the update that stops the normal network adapter scans from working.  When the interfering software is stopped, then normal Win 10 network adapter scanning software finds the available network adapters and the connection functions properly.  Stay tuned to more exciting adventures with Joe B. on "The Crap Express."

3 hours ago, BudwS said:

" It appears that some parameter, app or OS software is running after the update that stops the normal network adapter scans from working"

Probably #WannaCry, not the ransom-ware, but more of an UWP by MSFT stuff