Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

14 hours ago, My1 said:

well I prefer having cheaper options that dnt cost a fortune, also I prefer Hardware that doesnt set records in UN-repairability. and the fact that the new mac books ONLY have USBc ports where some of them have bugs to top it off doesnt make it better

The USB-C to USB adapter provides current devices with access.  However, when you start to use devices that have USB-C ports then you are already prepared.  You don't have to spend more money.  Much cheaper to buy into the future.  It's the old "pay me now or pay me later" advice.  Sometimes cheaper is good and sometimes it isn't.  You're choice.

but that doesnt change the fact that this is probably one of the most un-repairable devices ever, pretty much everything, ssd ram CPU etc is soldered to the board. Also no user choice for that matter, pretty much the thing we are saying is bad in case of w10 (I know that software and hardware isnt the same but still).

my Dell Laptop which I got from a friend got an SSD and the DVD drive flew out for a non-fixed HDD in adapter with the option to swap in my Bluray drive anytime.

also I dont see a reason to buy a multi thousand dollar laptop just to get a better mic, there's something called a headset (which I am wearing all the time, so that's that)

Edited by My1

On 12/10/2016 at 2:30 PM, My1 said:

but that doesnt change the fact that this is probably one of the most un-repairable devices ever, pretty much everything, ssd ram CPU etc is soldered to the board. Also no user choice for that matter, pretty much the thing we are saying is bad in case of w10 (I know that software and hardware isnt the same but still).

my Dell Laptop which I got from a friend got an SSD and the DVD drive flew out for a non-fixed HDD in adapter with the option to swap in my Bluray drive anytime.

also I dont see a reason to buy a multi thousand dollar laptop just to get a better mic, there's something called a headset (which I am wearing all the time, so that's that)

You make a very good point about repairability of new computers.  This point is why I suggest that an end user buys the maximum time of warranty available from a vendor.  That way a motherboard problem is fixed with a replacement no matter what component failed.  Also, max out the amount of memory or SSD available with the product.  By having the SSD on the motherboard, the FSB speed is over 2 GHz now.  History is repeating itself as when the 100 circuit board mainframe was reduced to a single CPU chip.  The current motherboard with its chipset will probably be reduced to a single IC with no physical ports, all wireless peripherals. Almost sounds like an iPhone.  I agree with your cost premise which makes the situation of when to buy in to a product a prudent decision.  It is hard to beat "free" when a decision is made.

Well, I have never known a broadband supplier mention problems with your Internet Connection after an update for Windows 10...Comhem which is a television. broadband, and telephone supplier here in Sweden has an automated message regarding problems after a Windows 10 update and even a contact telephone number to Microsoft support if the problem persists...

Another nail in the coffin!!

bookie32

23 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

Well, I have never known a broadband supplier mention problems with your Internet Connection after an update for Windows 10...Comhem which is a television. broadband, and telephone supplier here in Sweden has an automated message regarding problems after a Windows 10 update and even a contact telephone number to Microsoft support if the problem persists...

Another nail in the coffin!!

bookie32

Well it's all over the news:

jaclaz

19 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Well it's all over the news:

Yes, I do know that but it is a first time for a broadband supplier here to actually have a recorded message complaining about it....

I might be getting on but not entirely asleep all the time....:ph34r:

bookie32

Sure :), actually they (the broadband supplier) did the "right thing" or - if you prefer - the "courageous one", I meant that it was not a "limited to the said Swedish broadband provider" issue, it is (hopefully was) a thing that affected large numbers (in the EU at least).

BTW, if it was a "rare", or - as stated in the "correction update" docs - "in some situations" only, it would have made no sense to make a recording, the broadband provider could have managed the "handful" of requests for assistance in the traditional way, in this case they must have been flooded by similar requests :ph34r: ....

A more sensible statement from MS would have IMNSHO been:

Thanks to our pervasive telemetry monitoring we learned that 1.234.567[1] devices running Windows 10 located in the EU suddenly lost connection to the internet immediately after the installation of update KBxxxxxxx due to a misconfiguration in a totally unneeded and obscure service CDPSVC, (for which we provide no documentation whatsoever if not the generic statement "This service is used for Connected Devices and Universal Glass scenarios") that affected indirectly the properly working of the DHCP services, thus preventing the Operating System to get a proper LAN IP address.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

jaclaz

[1] Completely invented number, just for the sake of it

Edited by jaclaz

On 12/1/2016 at 2:06 AM, NoelC said:

My son not long ago bought himself a MacBook Pro.  Since he plays games as well as continues his studies (PhD candidate) he bought a VMware Fusion license and now he can swipe right and have OS X, swipe left and have Win 10 - all running at the same time.  He's got it surprisingly well integrated.  Some of the WEI readings in the Win 10 VM are 9.9 and the rest are not far behind.  The hardware is truly powerful, and in practice it's hard to want more than to have both systems running quite well at one's fingertips.  The battery lasts a loooong time too.

-Noel

Your story inspired a software addition to the 10 year old MacBook.  It now has VMware Fusion installed.  Under Fusion is now 64 bit Windows 7.  The amazing part to me was the import of the Boot Camp Windows 10 fast track insider software partition into Fusion as well.  And the W10 works OK with the MS Basic Display Driver!?  Learning something new now.  Thanks to you and your son.

For a Windows host you would need VMware Player or VMware Workstation.

I run Win XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10 in VMs on my Win 8.1 host as needed.  Once you've discovered the advantages of virtualization you can't imagine having not had it.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

Once you've discovered the advantages of virtualization you can't imagine having not had it.

unless you are hit by the disadvantages too much (e.g. not so much ram)

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

For a Windows host you would need VMware Player or VMware Workstation.

and how do you do that "swiping" into the other OS here, didnt find much about that.

Yes, having sufficient resources goes without saying.  I'm fond of big systems.

And I actually don't "swipe" things back and forth myself.  For me I have a lot of desktop space on 3 monitors on the hardware host system and run the VMs in windows.  I find that an easier way to interact between host system applications and VM system applications.  In that mode you see the whole console desktop and just click on things in it to interact with the VM.  Copy/paste between host and VM (or VM to VM) is convenient.

Plus I'm not on the latest VMware version at this point.  With Workstation version 11 t's a single button click to make a VM go "full screen", so I presume that with sideways scrolling the "next big thing" of Windows 8 and newer they probably have it to where a VM can be slid in from the side, just like I observed on Fusion running on a Mac.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC