Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

35 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

This is already happening. Not just with schools. Many people have reported that putting multiple Windows 10 systems on their network is saturating their available bandwidth. And like a lot of things with Windows 10, the settings to change to prevent this from happening often does not work or change the situation.

I'm far from an internets expert, but I was running Windows Firewall Notifier (newer version with the map and stuff), and even on a fresh Win10 install on another laptop with all the possible 'normal' telemetry/update/sharing settings turned fully off, and all updates done, it was perpetually running about 50kb/s between up/down.

Maybe it was updates being re-shared out, it was San Antonio servers via an svchost task.

But yes if this is the 'best case' spamming of your connection, then worst case over a large network would be pretty terrible!

I've had Win7 and Win10 setup not to update.

Win7 for over a year since all this auto-update to Win10 stuff turned up, and Win10 for a good few weeks.

I just create small attack surfaces and run the risk. Given most of what MS pushes likely adds new attack vectors you didn't know about (like opening up your firewall after an update without telling you), I honestly think your safer without MS in the loop and doing all your opSec and hardening yourself.

Another switch to Apple, the Windows 10 trend.  Daughter bought a maxed out MacBook Pro to replace Windows PC.  Dad bought Office:Mac 2011 to provide some reliable MS software.  Even if some say that Apple is like MS, as a user of both platforms, Apple software just works.  Can't say that about Windows 10 or newer MS software any more.  Or you can but that doesn't make the software run any better.  However, the current fast track insider W10 at least got the white text box problem fixed.  Perhaps an early Christmas present.  Now if the network bandwidth hog got controlled.  Probably not any time soon.

My son not long ago bought himself a MacBook Pro.  Since he plays games as well as continues his studies (PhD candidate) he bought a VMware Fusion license and now he can swipe right and have OS X, swipe left and have Win 10 - all running at the same time.  He's got it surprisingly well integrated.  Some of the WEI readings in the Win 10 VM are 9.9 and the rest are not far behind.  The hardware is truly powerful, and in practice it's hard to want more than to have both systems running quite well at one's fingertips.  The battery lasts a loooong time too.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Well, the crap is back.  Insider 14986 has the white text boxes again.  Just when I thought that some real programmers had shown up.  Putting old bad code into the product just doesn't cut it.  The test computer will be turned off until next year.  This release gets rated as a "1."  "Won't recommend Windows 10 to anyone."  Happy Holidays.  No more testing this year.  Will expect the real programmers to get back from vacation by next year.  No fertilizer with that product, just stink.

8 hours ago, BudwS said:

Well, the crap is back.  Insider 14986 has the white text boxes again.  Just when I thought that some real programmers had shown up.  Putting old bad code into the product just doesn't cut it.  The test computer will be turned off until next year.  This release gets rated as a "1."  "Won't recommend Windows 10 to anyone."  Happy Holidays.  No more testing this year.  Will expect the real programmers to get back from vacation by next year.  No fertilizer with that product, just stink.

Well, this is why I called this thread "Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever" I haven't seen anything to make me change my mind yet......

On 2016-12-01 at 10:06 AM, NoelC said:

My son not long ago bought himself a MacBook Pro.  Since he plays games as well as continues his studies (PhD candidate) he bought a VMware Fusion license and now he can swipe right and have OS X, swipe left and have Win 10 - all running at the same time.  He's got it surprisingly well integrated.  Some of the WEI readings in the Win 10 VM are 9.9 and the rest are not far behind.  The hardware is truly powerful, and in practice it's hard to want more than to have both systems running quite well at one's fingertips.  The battery lasts a loooong time too.

-Noel

Another reason why some of my customers are going over to Mac....not to run windows 10 of course....just because in general Mac is better...

bookie32

I had a chance to talk on Skype with him yesterday on that MacBook.  A1 quality audio - as though I was sitting in the room with him.  Not at all what you'd expect from a microphone integrated into a laptop.  I say that because by contrast I also Skyped with an friend who is an IT pro and has a Toshiba laptop running Win 10.  I literally could barely understand him.

-Noel

but w10 has nothing to do with crappy mics.

but then again I saw something pretty awful in the news. W10 stable crashed the DHCP client in an update.

so, what should we do? stop the update isnt possible, and once the DHCP is down the average joe isnt going to be able to DL a hhotfix.

9 minutes ago, My1 said:

but then again I saw something pretty awful in the news. W10 stable crashed the DHCP client in an update.

so, what should we do? stop the update isnt possible, and once the DHCP is down the average joe isnt going to be able to DL a hhotfix.

Well, the option is the MacBook Pro and in addition to the stable Apple OS X software just install your Windows 10 as well so when the update cripples W10 just switch back to the Apple OS X.  After enough Windows 10 crashes you'll just delete W10 from the computer.  A great holiday solution.  You could even DL a hotfix from the Apple side to fix the W10 side.  Sweet!

3 hours ago, My1 said:

Of course it does.  The entire Windows ecosystem now represents "cheapest possible" and not even "barely good enough".  Apple's hardware just proves it's possible to do "excellent".

I don't know about you but I'd prefer to pay extra for excellent.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

buy a windows Laptop with the price of a macbook and compare again.+

also just because the Windows OS works with everything MS isnt at fault when makers build craps into their laptops.

Or just buy a MacBook at that price.  That was my point in response to the "what to buy" subthread.

Are top-end "workstation" class laptops (Dell maybe) better in tangible ways than MacBook Pros?

I'm no fan of Apple, but we may have to agree to disagree that Microsoft's lack of focus on excellence is influencing the hardware makers and everyone else involved.

-Noel

4 hours ago, My1 said:

buy a windows Laptop with the price of a macbook and compare again.+

"Surface" with equivalent hardware as "MacBook" has an equivalent price.  Enough Surface PCs have had the disastrous update problems of Windows 10 that disabled the computer. This from users that came to me to wonder if I knew how to fix Windows 10 in that condition when the company that sold the computer or MS couldn't fix it.  That is an interesting challenge.

Well, another insider had the same 14986 problems as mine which also included BSOD issues.  He applied the MS Basic Display Driver solution and found that the white text box and the BSOD issues were gone.  So I did the same and had the same fixed result, white text box gone and no BSOD.  Wondering if there is a crap software file used to generate some of the new releases?  Why else would the same problems keep popping up?

7 hours ago, NoelC said:

Or just buy a MacBook at that price.  That was my point in response to the "what to buy" subthread.

Are top-end "workstation" class laptops (Dell maybe) better in tangible ways than MacBook Pros?

I'm no fan of Apple, but we may have to agree to disagree that Microsoft's lack of focus on excellence is influencing the hardware makers and everyone else involved.

-Noel

well I prefer having cheaper options that dnt cost a fortune, also I prefer Hardware that doesnt set records in UN-repairability. and the fact that the new mac books ONLY have USBc ports where some of them have bugs to top it off doesnt make it better