Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

I like to play a lot in my free time...Photoshop...Illustrator...Dreamweaver etc...You can imagine cloud for most of what is in CS6...here in Sweden the most popular agreement costs 525 kronor a month just over 53 euros....bloody expensive I think...the dearest on with access to all programs is 825 kronor around 83 euros a month....bloody rip off!!

As you say CS6 was expensive but I don't need all the updates, so I save money....

bookie32

well here in germany you pay 24 euros per single product or 60 for everything OR you take the photography bundle (photoshop+lightroom) and pay 12 (per month for each one) btw just checked the swedish prices and the 825 one has adobe stock included (where you can get pictures) and the 525 one is for all applications. for everything with adobe stock you pay about 95€ per month.

so if you dont need those stock pictures 60€ or 525 sek is enough

although all mentioned prices are with a commitment for a year.

Edited by My1

1 minute ago, My1 said:

well here in germany you pay 24 euros per single product or 60 for everything OR you take the photography bundle (photoshop+lightroom) and pay 12 (per month for each one) btw just checked the swedish prices and the 825 one has adobe stock included (where you can get pictures) and the 525 one is for all applications. for everything with adobe stock you pay about 95€ per month.

so if you dont need those stock pictures 60€ or 525 sek is enough

Yes the 525 one seems to be popular....still a lot of money...:w00t:

17 hours ago, NoelC said:

You actually enable and use SmartScreen?

I do not use Windows 10 on a personal system. This was in the standard Windows 10 Pro image. I am not allowed to modify the OS or change default settings in the deployment image. Clients can but those changes cannot be done here. I am well aware of all the things Windows 10 does, which is why I use Windows 7. :angel

On 10/31/2016 at 4:03 AM, NoelC said:

You haven't embraced the Windows Update Show Hide tool?  It's the only way to check updates before they are installed.

And there's a group policy for instructing Win 10 (Pro at least) not to update hardware drivers.

If you haven't set it up to 1) only look at updates when YOU give it the go ahead, and 2) only install the updates you haven't hidden, then you are not in control.  Perhaps that's your chosen path.

Microsoft doesn't feel any user should want or need control, but in order for that to be a viable approach they would need to detect when you don't have anything important to do (impossible) and to get all the updates right BEFORE delivering them (impractical for them, apparently, because it's literally at odds with their policy of having laid off their testing force).

It sounds like you've signed up for insider (alpha) testing, so you're supposed to have these failures, so that Microsoft will take your feedback and act on it.  I presume you're getting on the Feedback App and writing a new bug report every time you [don't] see white text on a white background.  If you're just expecting someone else to fix it, then maybe you shouldn't be doing pre-release testing?

The alternatives appear to be:

1. Be an insider (alpha tester).  You are the wall.  They are throwing code up against you to see what sticks.
  2. Take only Current Branch (beta) versions, as soon as they come out, and keep them updated.
  3. Take Current Branch for Business (release?) versions by invoking the several months delay in Settings.
  4. Tweak whatever version you're using so that you choose when to look at updates, vet them before installing.
  5. Go through the licensing hoops to get an LTSB branch build.
  6. Stay on an older (e.g., 8.1, 7, etc.), stable version of Windows (where choices for how you choose to do Windows Update also apply).

The above choices are supposedly organized in least stable to most stable order, roughly.  They are documented, at least in part, here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/waas-overview

But no matter what alternative you choose, with the possible exception of cutting off updates entirely on whatever OS you're currently running, you're at the mercy of what Microsoft chooses to deliver.  That is the key in all this.  The technical choices above are nearly meaningless if we can't trust Microsoft to do good work.

The rock:  If we stay on old versions and/or cut off all updates entirely, our systems will become obsolete.

The hard place:  Microsoft seems to be losing the ability to do good work that benefits us.

-Noel

Two computers for alpha testing just for fun.  Have only reported the problem on the Feedback App 3 or 4 times.  The Windows Update Show Hide Tool refused to download when I tried to get it 3 weeks ago.  Just got it today but haven't used it yet.  On 14959 now but found out that when the Microsoft Basic display driver is running and the white text boxes are gone, now have lost the MS Wi-Fi software so when the Wireless link is connected, there is no internet.  Just a minor inconvenience.  Will keep trying your suggestions.  Thanks. Being a wall, you never know what will show up.  Exciting times.  In the mean time, the iMac just runs.  Life is good.  Old farmers use crap for fertilizer.

• 2 weeks later...

The crap just became fertilizer!  Installed insider fast track 14965 and 14971 and on both releases the white text box problem was gone, hopefully fixed!!!!!!!  This situation on the Apple MacBook computer running Windows 10 with Boot Camp.  The display driver software was not changed.  Only Win 10 software was changed.

19 minutes ago, BudwS said:

The crap just became fertilizer!  Installed insider fast track 14965 and 14971 and on both releases the white text box problem was gone, hopefully fixed!!!!!!!  This situation on the Apple MacBook computer running Windows 10 with Boot Camp.  The display driver software was not changed.  Only Win 10 software was changed.

Woody Leonhard's take on 14971 is that it's  "a real snore". What's your impression of it?

--JorgeA

Woody says, "I'm convinced things will get better".

I used to be convinced things would get better too.  Then I wasn't.

Like Woody and many others I felt a need to keep up with the latest insider builds.  Then I didn't. 

Now I keep up with the latest consumer releases.  One day I'll stop doing that and just set my test system to update on the 3 month delay.  Then I won't have so many months to wait for it to be able to be made workable again after the next release.

Woody writes about Windows for a living.  He NEEDS to keep up with what Microsoft is doing (or not doing, as is apparently the case now).  There were a lot of us who were excited about Windows.  Then we weren't.

We're witnessing the end of an era.  It goes out with a whimper, not a bang.

-Noel

Reality of the performance of 14965 and 14971 may trump (pardon the use of that word) what Woody says.  After several months of "white text boxes" two insider releases on two different computer platforms show that Microsoft developers fixed the operating system software.  Yes, I know that it is still Windows 10 but there is a little less crap in it today in the fast track preview experiment.  However, they get a thank you when I don't have to guess what is in the text boxes.  That's enough fertilizer to grow something.  It may be a little late with winter coming on up north.  The main home computer is still the iMac, nothing changed there.  It's like, Wow!, MS fixed something!!!???

13 hours ago, BudwS said:

Reality of the performance of 14965 and 14971 may trump (pardon the use of that word) what Woody says.  After several months of "white text boxes" two insider releases on two different computer platforms show that Microsoft developers fixed the operating system software.  Yes, I know that it is still Windows 10 but there is a little less crap in it today in the fast track preview experiment.  However, they get a thank you when I don't have to guess what is in the text boxes.  That's enough fertilizer to grow something.  It may be a little late with winter coming on up north.  The main home computer is still the iMac, nothing changed there.  It's like, Wow!, MS fixed something!!!???

I strikes me (and this is by NO means a criticism against you, BudWS, I'm glad you're describing what you're seeing here)  that a Really Big Deal is being made of Microsoft actually making something work that once worked before (specifically, displaying text)...

Have we really fallen that far?

And it's not 3D text being displayed in hovering glowing letters over a stylized background.  It's just basic text on a blank background.

Remember when operating system buzz was all about multitasking and device driver models and memory management...  Not about displaying s*** on a screen.

I remember the first video display terminal I ever used, back in 1977 I think it was, which put text on a screen...  It was tied to an IBM mainframe and was set up near the HASP terminal card readers and line printers.  THEN it was amazing to see text displayed on a screen.  Now, maybe not so much.

Perhaps we will soon be oohing and ahhing over Microsoft flashing LEDs.

LED8_Sweep_320.gif

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

7 hours ago, NoelC said:

Perhaps we will soon be oohing and ahhing over Microsoft flashing LEDs.

LED8_Sweep_320.gif

-Noel

Wow, doing that is really cool!  Thanksgiving is coming so I was playing nice in the sandbox.  Perhaps restoring old code is the way to be innovating now.  Or you never know what might grow when fertilizer is spread.  Nice flashing lights.  Reminds me of mainframes.  Thanks for the smile.

A comment on other Windows 10 crap.  On an insider forum it was suggested to me that getting release information from the "Hub" would help me.  I brought it to that person's attention how difficult it is to use a computer that suffered from the white text box syndrome.  Just analyzing crap from another perspective.  It is interesting how crap brings a smile to my face.  Maybe just the early farmer culture that brings perspective into focus.