Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

Fast track preview 14951 installed on the Dell laptop and the Apple MacBook.  The white fill text box problem is not fixed.  Only shows up on MS apps.  The other apps have no problem.  Classic Shell asks to update configuration to the new operating system and with a click on 'yes', it just does it and says all is well.  How's that for functional software?

3 hours ago, BudwS said:

Classic Shell asks to update configuration to the new operating system and with a click on 'yes', it just does it and says all is well.  How's that for functional software?

BudwS, that's just too easy and sensible! :P

--JorgeA

Moved the MacBook from one WiFi location to another.  The Apple side picked up the new WiFi link and used it with no problem.  In the past when I moved from the Apple side with a restart to the Win 10 side the WiFi link was transferred.  Not today.  Now it is hunt and peck the white text boxes to select the new WiFi location.  Just a little more crap to see if I had fallen asleep.  W10 challenges are so invigorating.   Wide awake now.

On 10/28/2016 at 8:23 AM, My1 said:

the white text is STILL not fixed?

Correct.  W10 preview seems to refuse to allow Microsoft basic display driver to run for any length of time short of a clean install. Microsoft basic display driver eliminates the problem. It is replaced by a "Best Driver" selected by W10.  The best driver facilitates the white text box problem.

Well, I guess it keeps getting selected by W10 because it's been proven to be the "best" driver-away of any potential users :lol:

This is yet another reason why I am avoiding W10 like the plague. Even 8.1 is looking very good by comparison! It's still not quite on par with 7 or older (I miss the classic theme), but it's a whole lot better than 10 will ever be it seems.

c

Edited by cc333

6 hours ago, BudwS said:

Correct.  W10 preview seems to refuse to allow Microsoft basic display driver to run for any length of time short of a clean install. Microsoft basic display driver eliminates the problem. It is replaced by a "Best Driver" selected by W10.  The best driver facilitates the white text box problem.

You haven't embraced the Windows Update Show Hide tool?  It's the only way to check updates before they are installed.

And there's a group policy for instructing Win 10 (Pro at least) not to update hardware drivers.

If you haven't set it up to 1) only look at updates when YOU give it the go ahead, and 2) only install the updates you haven't hidden, then you are not in control.  Perhaps that's your chosen path.

Microsoft doesn't feel any user should want or need control, but in order for that to be a viable approach they would need to detect when you don't have anything important to do (impossible) and to get all the updates right BEFORE delivering them (impractical for them, apparently, because it's literally at odds with their policy of having laid off their testing force).

It sounds like you've signed up for insider (alpha) testing, so you're supposed to have these failures, so that Microsoft will take your feedback and act on it.  I presume you're getting on the Feedback App and writing a new bug report every time you [don't] see white text on a white background.  If you're just expecting someone else to fix it, then maybe you shouldn't be doing pre-release testing?

The alternatives appear to be:

1. Be an insider (alpha tester).  You are the wall.  They are throwing code up against you to see what sticks.
  2. Take only Current Branch (beta) versions, as soon as they come out, and keep them updated.
  3. Take Current Branch for Business (release?) versions by invoking the several months delay in Settings.
  4. Tweak whatever version you're using so that you choose when to look at updates, vet them before installing.
  5. Go through the licensing hoops to get an LTSB branch build.
  6. Stay on an older (e.g., 8.1, 7, etc.), stable version of Windows (where choices for how you choose to do Windows Update also apply).

The above choices are supposedly organized in least stable to most stable order, roughly.  They are documented, at least in part, here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/waas-overview

But no matter what alternative you choose, with the possible exception of cutting off updates entirely on whatever OS you're currently running, you're at the mercy of what Microsoft chooses to deliver.  That is the key in all this.  The technical choices above are nearly meaningless if we can't trust Microsoft to do good work.

The rock:  If we stay on old versions and/or cut off all updates entirely, our systems will become obsolete.

The hard place:  Microsoft seems to be losing the ability to do good work that benefits us.

-Noel

Windows 10:

MG_7210.jpg

Edited by NoelC

Ran into a weird thing today. Doing a test so we can write instructions for end user.

Computer needs network driver installed.
Install driver, Smart Screen says can't connect to the internet.

OK I need to connect to the internet in order to install the driver that lets me connect to the internet. :rolleyes:

You actually enable and use SmartScreen?

You realize that causes all your network activity to be sent to Microsoft, right?  Not to mention putting them in an anti-competitive position...  Have you noticed that things not sold through their App Store are labeled as "dangerous"?

There are better ways to avoid visiting bad sites that don't involve running extra software, giving up your privacy, and giving Microsoft control over what you can run.  Do you WANT to send every web address you choose to a central location for approval before you can visit it?

This cloud crap they've invented to "improve security" is just ridiculous.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

9 hours ago, NoelC said:

You actually enable and use SmartScreen?

You realize that causes all your network activity to be sent to Microsoft, right?  Not to mention putting them in an anti-competitive position...  Have you noticed that things not sold through their App Store are labeled as "dangerous"?

There are better ways to avoid visiting bad sites that don't involve running extra software, giving up your privacy, and giving Microsoft control over what you can run.  Do you WANT to send every web address you choose to a central location for approval before you can visit it?

This cloud crap they've invented to "improve security" is just ridiculous.

-Noel

First time, ever, I head about this "SmartScreen" -had to google it :rolleyes:

Edited by mikedigitize
Capital S

Let us be fair...and I don't like being fair to Microsoft....gives me the shudders....

Cloud is another way of making us pay out lots of money that we don't want to....

Rental agreements are all the big boys are interested in now and how they come to the decision to do that....well....piracy of their products has a lot to do with it....but they just don't get it....If people want to pirate program software...cloud isn't going to stop them...

They are not alone and Adobe is right there with them milking it for all they can....

I liked the fact I could go out and buy my Adobe products like CS6 and that has been taken away from us now....

bookie32

@bookie32 while I agree that I dont like subscription models, I must also say that subscription models help people who dont use something all the time but just a few months per year or whatever.

but personally I think firms should be offering both purchase and subscription.

1 hour ago, My1 said:

@bookie32 while I agree that I dont like subscription models, I must also say that subscription models help people who dont use something all the time but just a few months per year or whatever.

but personally I think firms should be offering both purchase and subscription.

Hi My1:D!

I totally agree with you that many don't use it all the time and it is convenient....having both has been discussed but they are not interested...

I still use CS6 and have no intention of bowing down to that change yet...:cool:

Another thing is with a rental agreement you feel that you need to use the product to get your money's worth and that isn't good either...

In the long term most accept the cloud version but ends up costing them a lot more in the long term...

It is OK if you need to be on the cutting edge all the time and can really utilise those new features etc...

bookie32

1 minute ago, bookie32 said:

I still use CS6 and have no intention of bowing down to that change yet...:cool:

well cs6 is pretty expensive to be honest depending on where you find it. but of course over the long term it's cheaper unless you need the updates all the time

4 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

having both has been discussed but they are not interested

that actually sux.