Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

21 hours ago, NoelC said:

I don't care what Microsoft thinks, it's still about what I need to do, not what Microsoft needs.  And they are getting farther and farther from that ideal.

'-> this!

No Unix derivative, to the best of my knowledge, does a very good job of hosting Windows applications.  WINE just isn't all that good.

When one DOES do a good job, it'll be the migration path many of us are looking for.

-Noel

VirtualBOX on TrueOS with XP/7/8/8.1 32-bit running inside should be enough for most uses...
TrueOS is FreeBSD with Bash and Zfs, and can run bot executables from BSD-land and linux-land natively.
It has a resonably sane desktop environment, too. But one may even run CDE over it if one so wishes.

Yes, virtualization may actually be the answer...  Embrace the installed-on-hardware OS for everything possible, then run a Win OS in a VM for the rest of the stuff.  A bit of a pain to be sure - not as good as just being able to run what you need natively - though on a very powerful machine I will admit virtualization has finally gotten quick enough to be reasonable to actually use.

I can copy/paste between on-hardware applications and virtual applications using VMware, so there's at least some desktop integration.  I wonder if the file systems could be set up (e.g., using links to the file systems on the host and vice versa) to make long-term ongoing use feel integrated.

It just dawned on me that a Unix host with a Win VM might actually be more integrated than a Win host between desktop and Metro Apps.

Still, I'm having tremendous trouble thinking I could ever love a derivative of Unix.  Probably too much to hope for to see VMS resurrected I guess.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

got to ask has one tried Unity mode (think thats what it is called) in VM ware on a linux machine? I was going to try it some time ago, but I was having trouble getting VM Ware to run under my version of fedora never got back around to testing it.

I can confirm that the option is greyed out in VMware Fusion 8.5 with OS X 10.9.5 host and PC-BSD guest.

It does work with Windows with the same setup, though, so it should work regardless of host, at least for Windows guests.

c

What I want to do is clone my windows system turn it into a VM and load it in under my Linux operating system and be able to access a few programs that work best on Windows. Another thought I had was to setup remote apps on the Linux system and pull them to Windows, but I think that would be a whole lot more involved and in the end the performance would be worse then just running a VM. 

I doubt that it will stay activated after such a change, but according to some sources Windows 10 doesn't actually NEED to be activated at all to run indefinitely.  I haven't tested that myself.

-Noel

14942 Win 10 insider preview fast track is running on the MacBook  The white fill text box problem is still there. It's getting easier to do the windows update using the "by guess and by golly" method clicking on the white menu text boxes to check for updates, etc.  Still trying to understand if the display driver installed by Win 10 is the problem or if there is a software programming error in many Win 10 applications.  Many Windows 10 apps and third party apps have no problem using the "Best Driver" that Win 10 installs to display clean video.  Classic Shell works well with the new 14942 software to provide a usable Start Menu.

7 hours ago, mikedigitize said:

14942; It took a while but now the win8 look is back on track:

http://imgur.com/Ie0qkyw

It's hardly surprising.  The thing they NEVER brought back was hierarchy - which is what a menu structure excels at and what is needed to organize complexity.  Not to mention performance, data density, elegance.  Bringing back a flaky, scrolling, linear, underperforming alphabetic start menu side by side with ads and distracting tiles isn't exactly giving users what they were missing.  I imagine they continued to get negative feedback for all the "start menu" replacements they've coded so far.  Now they're basically saying "See?  I guess you didn't want a start menu after all."

It's become clear that Microsoft doesn't strive to give users functionality they want any more.  Instead they strive to see what's the quickest they can change things to what MICROSOFT wants.  Sometimes they do it too quickly, and that causes much outrage so they "bring back" some half-baked thing that's almost what they changed the system to anyway (but with downsides) - presumably to placate the whiners and complainers.  Then they return to their original path before long.  How anyone could be so arrogant to think they've got their design so right that they exclude the actual needs of users is beyond me.

-Noel

P.S., See the description of "Hide app list in Start menu" here:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14942-for-pc/

P.P.S., note in the above page the wording:

Expanding the Active Hours default range: We’ve heard the feedback that you like the control Active Hours provides over when your PC restarts for updates, however feel that that the default 12 hour range on PC is too limited. We want to accommodate various enterprise environments and schedules including those where employees have double shifts, so starting with Build 14942, we’ve changed this range for PCs on Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions to 18 hours.

Doesn't this illustrate what I was saying very nicely?  People complain that Microsoft's forced update policy isn't providing them enough control over their own systems, so they narrow down the allowed time for automatic reboot from 12 hours each day to 6 hours.  Yeah, that's really what they are asking for.  Not.

Edited by NoelC