Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

On 11/02/2016 at 8:44 PM, jonah8208 said:

I think I (like a lot of you guys) am over paranoid about Win10 but I can live with being overcautions cos I am not in a state of ignorant bliss. So perhaps there is a happy medium to be struck somewhere but Win10 is not it as is.

Over paranoid?  I like to think of myself as "just paranoid enough".  :D

-Noel

On 29/01/2016 at 4:07 PM, NoelC said:

I always review the first panel above BEFORE initiating an actual Windows Update, then read online about whether the updates are causing others problems.

-Noel

I have a far more effective method - I let the other half's laptop update first having turned all mine off in services.msc. every few weeks if there have been no howls of rage and throwing stuff about the place I update mine.

Works for me ;)

Using host file entries from something like someonewhocares.org which now has a partial list of MS telemetry sites at the end goes a long way to bringing some sanity back into W10. I'm still using a modded W7 on my main rig because it has been soo stable for the last 7+ years or so, but I've found that those telemetry blocking entries have some side benefits like making Skype usable, too!! they block the ads there. Whew! What a relief!

The longer term question is why should we have to go to such convoluted lengths to use our own machines? Part of the answers lies in other fundamental parts of US law. Such as, who owns your personal data? Europe has a Data Protection Act that pretty much works, though it's not perfect. The US on the other hand has none, and I'm pretty sure AustralAsia also have none. A first step in rectifying all this nonsense is to clearly define that an individual's data belongs to the individual and that any keepers of it, even with permission, are held liable for breach. That's why you can give your bank account number to someone for payment in Europe because your account is safe and the bank is liable. Not so in the US. they don't use 2-factor or transactional authentication and allow unsecured third party access to supposedly secure login and account pages (check chase with ~9 unsecure servers connecting!). Etc,etc. I won't go into more detail here, but this lack of data protection has given us unbridled arrogance of an increasing number of corporations, local and global. The entire SmartMeter programs of gas and electric companies across the US are a sham. Not the idea, but the implementation and liability issues. PG&E in California now makes users pay $10 to have their meters read (which they were compensated for long ago in rate schedules). It is insane, but there it is.

As long as the fundamental issues are not addressed, we will continue to struggle against the onslaught on our privacy and control. And we will pay for it. Think TPM! They want to control access to all you do! lol

:^)

• 2 weeks later...

The PC with 5 running OSs got updated by Windows Update, the Win 10 version, a few days ago.  Since then the PC would not boot.  Restore would not bring it back.  Startup repair would not bring it back.  Hardware check showed all the hardware working correctly.  Finally, re-installed Win 7 Pro and left the old OSs on the hard drive.  The installed Windows 10 count is now down by 2.  Do the stats counters only count up or do they count down for Win 10 when the Win 10 lights go out?  The crap meter went up by 2.  I think it's time for a vacation.

Just to balance out working software, the Apple OS X 10.7 (Lion) count went up by 1.  10-year old hardware still running just fine, thank you.

And the real joke is that the DOD wants to run on Windows 10.  That's a real load of crap.

The government just needs to slow down and rethink this. Windows 10 is still fairly new (some may even argue that it is still in beta/testing) and bugs and other problems still need fixed. They need to give it time to be refined and broke in (it also needs to prove it's self worthy) before they go jumping on the Windows 10 bandwagon. and how about the 4 month upgrade and reset thats gunna be secure and cost effective right?

I'm thinking of doing a dual boot of Win10 on the Apple computer.  It would really tickle me if Win 10 ran stable on the Apple.  After a dusting of crap with the Win 10 crash, it's time to get up and back on the crapola again.  After the vacation.

I'm thinking of doing a dual boot of Win10 on the Apple computer.  It would really tickle me if Win 10 ran stable on the Apple.  After a dusting of crap with the Win 10 crash, it's time to get up and back on the crapola again.  After the vacation.

if you go through with it let me know how it goes I have a mac Mini floating around and I have been considering trying 10 on real hardware currently running it in a VM. I don't really use it now that I have got my other computer that is running 8.1/Fedora

On 26/02/2016 at 4:15 AM, helpdesk98 said:
On 26/02/2016 at 2:43 AM, BudwS said:

if you go through with it let me know how it goes I have a mac Mini floating around and I have been considering trying 10 on real hardware currently running it in a VM. I don't really use it now that I have got my other computer that is running 8.1/Fedora

By the middle of March I should have the results of the proposed project.

On 25/02/2016 at 11:26 PM, vinifera said:

i hope whole stupid US law enforcement agencies and EU switch to this retarded OS

then when hackers screw them in the a**, they can kiss their asses back

Have you seriously thought who is most probably behind this apparently incongruent change of model in the MS behaviour to control all your moves while allowing you free upgrades and updates? 

Business is business.

Hi guys!

Wow this thread seems to have been active....more than I can say for me....Well, I am not going to rant and rave now but still haven't anything positive to say about windows 10....!!! I still think it is a waste of space...

I have had several that have upgraded to 10 and then thought better of it....but downgrading still doesn't work if you were using the windows back up function before you upgraded and downgraded...

The back up function just doesn't work afterwards and it doesn't matter if you remove the old ones it still comes up errors and it is just a waste of time trying to fix it...

I have reinstated several computers because of just this problem...

I have said it before and say it again an upgraded machine is a recipe for disaster....

I just wish the games manufacturers would bet on Linux and put the window crap into it's grave where it belongs!!

On 05/03/2016 at 7:27 PM, bookie32 said:

I have said it before and say it again an upgraded machine is a recipe for disaster....

I have only had one truly successful upgrade (at least I hope) Win Vista to 7. I restored the machine back to factory Win Vista and upgraded to 7. It all seems to have worked for now! The idea of doing an upgrade always makes me uneasy I feel like just because it is working now doesn't mean it will later something will go wrong!