Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

I wonder if anyone besides us sees that as scary.

An OS that on the surface is labeled 'the same version' but which is composed of who knows what different components (and yes, I know it's always been thus, but this is just, well, more).  Basically it's the worst parts envisioned for the new, opaque Windows Update strategy already realized.

Thing is, I don't think even Microsoft can keep that kind of complexity afloat forever.

Did you notice any settings being reverted when that update (which created Windows.old) was installed?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Well, the next step in the evolution of Windows is now coming into focus. Logically, and for our* convenience, not only must all users have the same OS on the same version, but they must all have the same one-size-fits-all software bundle and, ultimately, the same hardware.

Just think of all the problems and incompatibilities that'll eliminate!  :angel

--JorgeA

* Notice that I didn't specify who the "we" is that's implied in "our'...

Edited by JorgeA

It isn't too hard to squint at the future and see Win 10 like the OS your satellite box runs.

Locked in apps, limited time to 'own/rent' a movie or software/app. Subscription based.

No access to the file system in the name of 'security'... or any folder directly for that matter.

Any hardware possibly fitted to the box may not be functional for 'piracy or malware concerns',

ala, USB ports disabled. Cannot mount a remote drive.

Is it any wonder then Microsoft sell their own branded hardware now.

Its a matter of time before Windows will install ONLY to approved motherboards at all- its already happening in reverse.

I never figured I'd live long enough that a Unix derivative would inevitably be in my future.  I thought surely Windows would continue to evolve into something better and better.

But even that is better than bending over and letting Microsoft have their way.

Just goes to show that evil and greed can screw up anything.

-Noel

... Locked in apps, limited time to 'own/rent' a movie or software/app. Subscription based.

No access to the file system in the name of 'security'... or any folder directly for that matter.

Any hardware possibly fitted to the box may not be functional for 'piracy or malware concerns',

ala, USB ports disabled. Cannot mount a remote drive ...

^ Nothing a glide ratio test can't solve.

350x386px-LL-1d555993_computer-throwing-

I wonder if anyone besides us sees that as scary.

Did you notice any settings being reverted when that update (which created Windows.old) was installed?

-Noel

I didn't do any specific checking.  However, the impression that I got was that the update did a "Don't save any data or settings" upgrade!!!??? and only use what I give you!? and don't turn anything off that I set on.  However, Classic Shell was gone.

Win 10 has been so self destructive that I only hope for a Win 10 that has a shelf life of over 3 days.  So far, only if the suckle is at the MS online logon does life exist beyond 3 days.

Bud

It isn't too hard to squint at the future and see Win 10 like the OS your satellite box runs.

Locked in apps, limited time to 'own/rent' a movie or software/app. Subscription based.

ala, USB ports disabled. Cannot mount a remote drive.

Is it any wonder then Microsoft sell their own branded hardware now.

Its a matter of time before Windows will install ONLY to approved motherboards at all- its already happening in reverse.

It may be a good time to reprise this. We first discussed it three years ago when Windows 8 came out:

Today we have marketing departments that say things such as “we don't need computers, we need appliances. Make me a computer that doesn't run every program, just a program that does this specialized task, like streaming audio, or routing packets, or playing Xbox games, and make sure it doesn't run programs that I haven't authorized that might undermine our profits."

On the surface, this seems like a reasonable idea: a program that does one specialized task. After all, we can put an electric motor in a blender, and we can install a motor in a dishwasher, and we don't worry if it's still possible to run a dishwashing program in a blender. But that's not what we do when we turn a computer into an appliance. We're not making a computer that runs only the “appliance" app; we're taking a computer that can run every program, then using a combination of rootkits, spyware, and code-signing to prevent the user from knowing which processes are running, from installing her own software, and from terminating processes that she doesn't want. In other words, an appliance is not a stripped-down computer—it is a fully functional computer with spyware on it out of the box.

--JorgeA

As we have seen, discussing it does nothing.  Those of us who want general purpose computing are doomed.

We could make the whole world aware that they're heading straight for failure, and they would just wave us off with "Seriously?  Who am I supposed to follow, you or a big, successful company?"

No one thinks any more.

We're seriously doomed.  Even those of us who feel we have already taken measures to protect our choices.

-Noel

As I was writing my post, I thought to myself.

Why Xbox.?... Why Windows 8/10 on Xbox?...... Uh, Oh.  They got to the kiddies first... locked in goodness. They'll drink the kool-aid if that is the only way to play the games. Keeping current seems like nothing to them. Brainwashed.

Then M$ had to find a way to get into mum and dads PC.. the ones they refuse to let go. "Parents hold the credit cards.. we need to get our apps from the games machines onto the desktop".

(Seeing the rubbish people actually pay for on other devices- I can almost see the cogs turning in the hive of Redmond....)

Once the kids work out that they can run their crap on the PC IF it has Windows 10.. kids have a way of wearing you down.

Natural attrition and obsolescence will take out the luddites.

Obviously none of this considers the uses of the Win32 platform in the wider world of real work, but that is why we charge for 'extended support' $9 Million dollars alone from the US Navy apparently to let XP continue running the ICBM department.

Probably more income from some generic patches they can flog for several millions bucks per customer (Likely the same ones PosReady receives anyway) Than royalties from cheap angry birds app clones.

As soon as Android gets some decent multitasking... I can see a Linux future for me too.

Prophetic last line in that 2011 article quoted by JorgeA above:

"... Freedom in the future will require us to have the capacity to monitor our devices and set meaningful policies for them; to examine and terminate the software processes that runs on them; and to maintain them as honest servants to our will, not as traitors and spies working for criminals, thugs, and control freaks ..."

• 2 weeks later...

It makes me wonder if this is the end of Microsoft as a company that anyone in their right mind would trust....

I have been wading through the so called Privacy Agreement and Service Agreement and it doesn't make for light reading...

Like so many have said already....how many of us actually read such agreements...

I certainly will not be upgrading my computers and have already removed the annoying pop up...

bookie32

Not that I agree with Microsoft's prying eyes, but doesn't Google do the same thing?  The only way we have all of the customized Android and iOS options (like regionalized search or customized apps) is specifically because of data gathering.

but at least Google works.

when I search something in bing the results are crap, really I once made a pseudo server for my apprenticeship practical exam and when I searched for a particular problem on the server itself for bettwer copy pasting (I found it already on my own PC) IE obviously defaulted to bing and it wasnt found and it was on MS's OWN SUPPORT PAGES, switching over to google (which had no data as I was not logged in) found it instantly on the 1st result with the same words.

and with google I know exactly that they use my data for search and better ads, which I am fine with because especially the search part is some kinda profit for me.

while with MS, we see that they have no problem of handling over stuff to the gov and sometimes they try to get the user help him to get the stuff to the gov (who in their right mind would let his bitlocker key upload into the cloud) while Google assured multiple times they are against all this Ceta and whatever 4-letter stuff the US thinks about for comporising our privacy.

and you always CAN step away from Google and use another search engine for example but on PC windows has a de facto monopoly and most software is sadly win-only, there is not much choice for that.

Apple OS X just keeps on running but they make their own hardware.  I wonder if that's where Microsoft got the idea?  A lot of other PC hardware makers are not going to like that.

Apple OS X just keeps on running but they make their own hardware.  I wonder if that's where Microsoft got the idea?  A lot of other PC hardware makers are not going to like that.

good point. I don't think they lock down their hardware to exclusively run Mac OS. I have run Ubuntu on my 2012 Mac mini I was not using boot camp or anything like that.

I have collaborated closely with someone who has used high-end Macs for many years now (decades actually).  In my experience, under load, while we were working together doing software development his OS X system crashed slightly more often than my Windows.  That is to say, his system crashed maybe once a year, while mine didn't crash at all.

I have the right drivers, use good quality hardware, and maintain my system well.  From where I sit Windows just keeps on running too.

Even Windows 10 keeps on running for me, though I'm only allowing it to do so in a virtual machine, because stability and providing value are two different things.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC