Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

I'm appalled at the version confusion Microsoft has created, clearly on purpose.  Who does that help, exactly?

This may be germane to the topic:

Confusion and Control

A common technique is that of creating confusion in whomever you seek to control...

[...]

If someone is exhibiting all of these signs towards to you, it’s possible that they may be attempting to dominate you. They may, however, also just be a bit incompetent.

--JorgeA

Scrap hit the fan again but with some good and some bad.  Either I'm being dominated or I'm beginning to recognize incompetance.

The Windows 10 Revision continues to be 1511.  However today's update changed the OS Build to 10586.36.

One PC at the shop seemed to love the update.  It continued to work just fine.  However, the VirtualBox Windows 10 took 3 VB "Turn Off"s with the VB start to get Windows 10 to start reasonably clean.  The "Start Menu" issue showed up the first 2 trys.  After the third start, I got enough control to install Classic Shell again.  I had been trying to use just Win 10 plain. But I had Classic Shell downloaded just in case.  The "Worst Meter" swung back and forth today.

Do you think this instability with Win 10 could be a hardware timing thing with the different speeds of PCs today?  "Back in the mainframe days," I remember hardware timing was an issue with software.  NO, I don't want to go back to the mainframe days.  The mainframes were too heavy.

Edited by BudwS

Look buddy just go back to Vista. Basically only reason to own the newish Nt6 operating systems is for your worklife and that is it. In fact all 32-bot operating systems hardware can only take 4 Gigs the max. So that means when it comes to certain kinds of work your good with what you had before.

I was playing with Windows 8 recently, and I had to do a special move just to get to the stupid desktop. Microsoft is obviously trying to erase the amount of XP users. Same with the destruction of PPC users in the Mac community. They keep forcing upgrades rather then solutions. I mean XP is amazing.

Again make sure whatever programs you need is able to support operating system you are using

Why it's the "worst ever" for me...

• I *know* I'm very likely going to be stuck with upgrading, sooner or later (preferably later).

• I *know* Microsoft hasn't even begun to make it difficult to run the older systems that give me value now.

• I *know* I'm supposed to love their new direction.

• I *know* I should be developing awesome Universal apps for a billion+ users.

• I *have* been an early adopter and a Microsoft proponent, for as long as there was a Microsoft.

• I *have* tuned up - successfully and beneficially - every one of their OSs.  Ever.

• I *do* have Windows 10 tweaked and running in a VM as well as Windows 10 could possibly run.

But now it just feels like it's lost the magic.  The thrill is gone.  The party's over.  The hangover's setting in.

Even though I would probably be productive with all the tweaks I already know how to do, it just feels like I would be giving in to mediocrity and all that's wrong to put it on my hardware.  And I would certainly be giving in to the uncertainty about what I WON'T be able to do in a mere 4 months (or maybe 7 if I were to turn on the 3 month delay).  That's just not long enough to justify all the work!

I guess I've suddenly gotten old (and keep in mind this is from someone running 8.1 and liking it).

It can't really be the software that's bad.  How could such a huge company be wrong?  It must be me.  Am I just tired of it all?  Or has Windows really crossed a threshold?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what forum I'm on (though it's certainly nice to be among thoughtful, like-minded people).  I don't give a rat's a** what shills or fanboys say, and I suppose that's part of my problem - I think objectively, entirely for myself.

What matters to me is the reality of the system; what it is, what it doesWhat it can be made to do.  Is it wrong to want at least as much as before?

It's not like I've loved every release ever made before.  I've had a lot to say about all past Windows releases too.  In some cases a lot of negative.  But...  The key thing was that back then the policies of Microsoft didn't preclude tweaking and augmenting to make what was wrong better, or at least tolerable.  I've complained during beta, and I've adapted after release.  I've even enjoyed teaching others how to make theirs nicer.

Thing is, I *always* ended up with a system that was better, more useful, and more stable than what had been delivered by Microsoft.  In some cases a whole lot better.  Then I was able to use it and have it be better for years.  My customized Win 8.1 system is right now the best I have ever had.

Who'd have ever thought a company that got rich off doing things the way they did would change their policies to close off the practicality of making those tweaks?

That the 10586 in-place upgrade did everything we feared and then some - destroyed tweaks, reinstalled junkware, undid privacy settings, introduced even buggier code that Microsoft isn't able to fix even after a constant stream of cumulative updates - is the straw that broke the camel's back. 

And now to hear that the new "Restroom" (er, what was it? "Redstone") pre-release is going to do all that's bad again, and push junkware to users again.  All remaining glimmers of hope, how ever much they had already faded, are finally lost.  I'm depressed.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I miss the magic too. I remember the first time I got my hand on a beta it was like Christmas! I remember exploring the system trying this and that turning things on/off and being amazed. Now not so much it has become a choir to do much with Windows 10 (I haven't done much just exploration, removal or junk, tweaks) 

I think it's sad that so much data is now collected from the user in Windows now and installing updates are not safe anymore, I still love Windows but with the constant updates I have seen with Windows 10 it is sad that there are so many updates my Mothers laptop reboots without even asking if the user is doing anything it just does what it wants, what is going on!. I'm forced to look for another operating system in today's ever changing world.

• I *know* Microsoft hasn't even begun to make it difficult to run the older systems that give me value now.

^ This. Better prepare to receive heavy cavalry the incoming year ...

braveheart-1.jpg

• I *have* been an early adopter and a Microsoft proponent, for as long as there was a Microsoft.

• I *have* tuned up - successfully and beneficially - every one of their OSs.  Ever.

u7aNokz.jpg

"In Microsoviet russia, YOU are tuned up by the OS."

"In Microsoviet russia, YOU are tuned up by the OS."

Considering Microsoft's overall behavior, "Microsoviet" is s an apt description for them. :angry:

Maybe you can trademark that label! :thumbup

--JorgeA

Win 10 is simply an interesting challenge.  Classic Shell installed on 10586.36 still had the old issue that a mouse click on the start menu, or any icon did nothing.  This on a local user only system.  Created a MS/online user.  Now both users work without the problem.  I look forward to the next update to see what new and old issues show up.  In my second childhood, it is all a crappy kid game.

It gets old, Bud, trust me, because it's an ongoing challenge where you're fighting a huge, rich adversary who wants to deliver the operating system as a very specific service that you pay for by the month.  And you've already agreed to have it their way.  They could prosecute for tweaking it via any means other than the 7 or so settings they have provided.

-Noel

There have also been some news stories that hint that the antitrust boogie man has woken up from a long sleep.  Boogie man is a rich adversary as well.

Another non-tech customer told me today that they paid someone to update their PC.  She spoke of unreliability, unstableness and inconsistant operation.  They are thinking of paying the tech person to put them back to their original operating software.  She wasn't smiling about the challenges like I do.

Noel, I suppose that running on a virtual machine might be considered tweaking as well?

The last update created a windows.old file.  That doesn't happen on an normal update, does it? Just trying to sort the crap into nice piles.

Bud

Another non-tech customer told me today that they paid someone to update their PC.  She spoke of unreliability, unstableness and inconsistant operation.  They are thinking of paying the tech person to put them back to their original operating software.  She wasn't smiling about the challenges like I do.

I'm sorry for your customer, but if it happens 150 million, 500 million more times as new innocent people get dragged into Windows 10, the roar of complaints will become deafening, the Internet will be flooded with shaking fists, and Microsoft's offices will be overwhelmed with servers (of lawsuits, not of data).

Perhaps the Asperger cases who run the company will then finally get a clue that the whole Windows 10 rollout is a Really, Really Bad Idea.

--JorgeA

Noel, I suppose that running on a virtual machine might be considered tweaking as well?

I wouldn't think that running the OS on a virtual machine in a properly licensed fashion ITSELF would be considered against the services agreement, but using a nonstandard firewall setup to block communications one doesn't want could be, or the removal of Cortana, or...

Bottom line is this:  Microsoft clearly doesn't want us "having it our way", but rather to use the OS just as they've provided it - however much that reduces the functionality for individual users.

The last update created a windows.old file

The "last update" you spoke of...  Would that be the Windows 10 build 10586 install? 

I ask because none of the updates for me SINCE 10586.0 so far have created a Windows.old folder.

The 10586.0 "in-place upgrade" is a full operating system installation, which not only installs a whole new build, but also resets many preferences and re-installs many things you might have chosen to remove.  I even found and documented, for example, that quite a number of privacy settings I had made were reverted by that 10586 in-place upgrade.

Now here's the kicker:  Microsoft intends to release one of these in-place upgrades every 4 months.  Let that sink in.  Some of the piles are thus bigger than others.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

The "last update" you spoke of...  Would that be the Windows 10 build 10586 install? 

I ask because none of the updates for me SINCE 10586.0 so far have created a Windows.old folder.

The 10586.0 "in-place upgrade" is a full operating system installation, which not only installs a whole new build, but also resets many preferences and re-installs many things you might have chosen to remove.  I even found and documented, for example, that quite a number of privacy settings I had made were reverted by that 10586 in-place upgrade.

Now here's the kicker:  Microsoft intends to release one of these in-place upgrades every 4 months.  Let that sink in.  Some of the piles are thus bigger than others.

-Noel

The Windows.old file showed up when the OS Build changed to 10586.36.  That was the first time that I saw this situation occur.  Thanks for clarifying the virtual machine consideration.

Your right, 4 months is a long time to wait to get a new set of smiles.

MS must have hired those GCOS8 operating system programmers.  A lot of them got Rif'ed awhile back.

Bud

I agree with you.  Not all windows updates to the same OS Build are identical.  Too many factors, hardware and software-wise, change the outcome of the final product.  The same update from different locations may not be identical as well.

Bud