Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

[...] and I cannot believe that Windows 7 is that much faster even then Windows 10.

Well, at the end of the day, that's exactly how it should be, because higher Win version can only mean much more bloat, unfortunately!

[...] and I cannot believe that Windows 7 is that much faster even then Windows 10.

Well, at the end of the day, that's exactly how it should be, because higher Win version can only mean much more bloat, unfortunately!

Spot on, Dencorso! Then again, I felt the very same way about Windows XP vs Windows 98. But XP never was my favorite and neither is anything else after it. I remember my first "good" computer came with a whopping 128MBs of RAM, which today is the equivalent of piece of crap. But with Windows XP, I was amazed just how little it was to run that operating system. Even for it being the recommended amount, I constantly got running out of memory errors.

Edited by Tommy

theres difference between recommended RAM (which is now called minimum), and a must have

when I switched from winME to 2000pro with 128meg RAM it still was flying

but XP was already taking its snail trail

sure you can run Vista with 128meg too but :D

-

anyhows, if they didn't screwed up GDI in win7 which for whatever reason is WORSE than in XP

w7 would be "ideal" OS (as Windows can be)

Windows 7 or 8.1 run great on modern computers with lots of resources - lots of RAM, good (e.g., SSD) disk I/O, good GPU... 

You'd expect a NEWER system to run slower on the same hardware because it brings more functionality, more features.

Trouble is, Windows 10 apparently has neither, yet still brings the loss in efficiency.

Microsoft would say that to run an entirely different application framework is the reason for the additional slowness, but I don't buy it.  It's not like Metro/Modern/Universal brings anything new to the party.  All of what it does could be done before, and in fact many applications did much more.  And it's not like the Universal/XAML environment amazingly better at making programmers productive - if it were, wouldn't we have utterly AMAZING Apps from Microsoft (and many others) by now?  Instead they're all just also-rans, and so inefficient as to make even the most modern computers lag.  If I've missed a killer, must-have App someone please point it out.

OK, perhaps you might suggest that Windows 10 is more stable than Windows 8.1 or 7 and the slowness is because of additional error checking or layering of operations so that crashes can be averted.  Yet is it?  I have a Win 8.1 system (on which I'm typing this) that has been running continuously, with daily and nightly hard use, for over 27 days.  I have a Windows 7 system in the same room that's just pushed past 31 days of uptime.  It's hard to be more stable than perfectly stable.  In short, we've had reliability and stability for a while now.  Actually, with regard to stability in drivers, Windows 10 has all the growing pains of a whole new OS and will continue to have them every 4 months.

Is it possible that Windows 10 is more secure maybe?  Immune from the malware that plagues so many Windows systems?  Great idea, but where's the reality?  Have you heard of an actual reduction in malware infections?  Have people been saying Windows 10 has been making their data safe where it was virtually swinging in the wind before?  Even Microsoft themselves barely mention security, citing things like PIN number entry to replace passwords as a big deal.  After all, they wouldn't want us all thinking we could stop doing Windows Updates to cover up the problems they've left in.

Better UI?  Nope, not hardly.  It's f**king lifeless (not to mention borderless).  OK, maybe in some ways it's no worse than the butt-ugly Windows 8 - though one could actually re-theme the important parts of Windows 8.  Now...  The bland, blank Taskbar is the bland, blank Taskbar with any theme.  Bland and blank are supposed to be good, right?  Skeuomorphism (what an ugly disease) is supposed to be bad...   Show of hands, how many think so really?  Or do you think Aero Glass is still better?

One of the major new features spurring the November "in-place OS reinstall" was...  Wait for it...  COLORED TITLE BARS!  What will they think of next?!?  Is this ALL the thousands of engineers working at Microsoft could do in 4 months?  How many here think they personally, working alone, could have made more substantial changes?

Oh, but wait, window dressing aside, that was a mere 4 months of build 10240 before we had to reinstall the whole stupid 10586 OS, only to find settings reverted, Apps reinstalled, some software incompatible, and additional online chattiness?  For those running it, how many days did YOU have to spend to restore it to what you need it to be?  I worked a full week to figure out what had to be re-done.  And remember up above when I was talking about stability?  Does anyone really think an OS that's gone through one or more in-place "upgrades" will be more stable than one that's installed afresh?  Where's the 10586 ISO image?  Do you know how to make your own from the .ESD file?  How do you recover if 10586 becomes "unresponsive and unable to run your programs"?

No, Microsoft has lost the plot about 11 ways from Sunday with Windows 10.  They've clearly shown they're no longer a viable operating system company, and IMO anyone who continues to partner with them and takes whatever they're shoveling whenever they feel like it is simply being naïve and unreasonably optimistic.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

to me they lost 18 years of NT "experience" with this new 8/10 crap

Metro is nothing than recycled Windows Neptune, which was in about 97-98 era

they are just using a bit different approach to run these so called apps, but they are not apps

as for security, NTOS will NEVER be secure until every system file requires specific cert (ok 64bit ones have this)

and until they manage to make every process to run sandboxed, and no UAC isn't that, as is no good since naturally user

especially novice will always click YES just to run an app, kinda beats the purpose...

not only that, all this cloud crap and backdooring data-mining just opened more doors for malware

and that registry + yet unsolved "dll hell" doesn't help

maybe I'm missing something

(UI won't comment as its shit)

Edited by vinifera

Yes, you're missing something, as are we all:  Actual advancement in operating system design.

All the cloud-integration BS hasn't yet been compromised in a widely-publicized way - mostly because the payoff of infecting only a small percentage of Windows Users (about equal to that of Mac users) is still small.

Who here thinks that peer to peer Windows Update sharing will ultimately become a vector for spreading malware (assuming you don't already think Windows 10 itself is malware, which many do)?

More complex things are always more secure, right?

-Noel

MS History repeats itself and has achieved another vote for "Worst Crap Ever"

Preview at 10240 could/would not update/upgrade with the windows update procedure. The slow download usually completed but the actual install while taking a few hours would crash in the 40 to 60% progress area which required a restart to continue.  Never did get a clean upgrade with 10240.  And no iso was available.

Installed and activated, released Windows 10, windows update downloaded Windows 10 version 1511, 10586.  The download completed but the install stopped at 40% and required a restart to continue.  This after a few hours into the update/upgrade. Yup, Worst Crap Ever.

I don't imagine there is an iso for this upgrade either, being an upgrade/update to a released Win 10.

I don't imagine there is an iso for this upgrade either, being an upgrade/update to a released Win 10.

Funny, I d/l iso and can install in no time especially with the ESD version. Wish I had timed it but I am type will run another install soon just to check my uninstall/blocking stuff again trying to improve on that

I feel for ya cause I was there once but If ya got crappy internet don't blame this. Also many things can make this go bad including a PC full of malware and no space left. Win 10 if you upgrade will create a Windows.old which is stripped down some but still requires huge amounts of GB. Better if you copy your serials from your programs and whatever and choose to Keep Nothing but your on your own. If you not tech savvy to do that then I can't help ya.

Of the 10 I've done for other people only 1 was real bad. My son in law. A kinda nice Alienware laptop but it runs so much crapola I wouldn't have one. His was full of malware from d/l them warez and game hack BS crap so after several hours long Malwarebytes cleaning and a slew of other tricks I know I was ready to go. But wasn't enough free space. Holy crap 54GB of stuff just in the Temp folder. So I run the Josh Cell Uncleaner

Gained a good 80 GB back I think it was but still we uninstalled a bunch of other questionable programs which were really huge.

Must be smart enough to avoid crap like this Windows10 softonic.com/download

softonic up there as one of worst

Use the media creation tool to download Windows 10 iso. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.

In other words get it from Microsoft and no other place. My blocking stuff is blocking me from going there right now cause I choose to run my 10 that way
But there are many many sites on google will tell you how to this with that Tool
Edited by maxXPsoft

Did the definition of "crappy internet" change while we weren't looking?

I have really great internet speeds, but I'm lucky I can get a fiber optic connection here.  Someone still limited by necessity to *ONLY* single digit megabit speeds would be hard pressed to download upwards of 4 gigabytes of data at under 1 megabyte per second.

And I'm all for moving into the future, having been an early adopter all my life - but there actually has to be movement.  Win 10 just takes a lot more work to get back to where we were already, and closes off the options for dealing with issues such as Internet speed limitations ourselves.  So what's the advantage that offsets all that?  The ability to run a Weather App?  Pfft.

-Noel

Use the media creation tool to download Windows 10 iso. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.

In other words get it from Microsoft and no other place. My blocking stuff is blocking me from going there right now cause I choose to run my 10 that way
But there are many many sites on google will tell you how to this with that Tool

Thanks for the information.  However, the purpose of allowing windows update to upgrade/update the activated Windows 10 Home was to see that it would install cleanly.  The actual download time was reasonable with the 12 Gbps internet connection.  It was the actual install that was the problem. The installed Win 10 Home took up about 23 GB of disk space.  There was about 90 GBs of space available for the upgrade to use.  The system had been wiped clean for any malware or virus before the update started.

I've used a Win 10 iso to try to update several activated Windows 7 systems.  However, most of those installs completed but the Windows 10 key was not activated as it should have been.

When I used the Windows Flag to update to Windows 10, that installed cleanly and Windows 10 was activated as it should be.

Going to the media creation tool Web site worked OK but their was no option to select Windows 10 version 1511, 10586 which is what the windows udate was trying to install.

Thanks again for trying to teach me procedures to get Windows 10 to consistently install.  I learn someting new every day.

Did the definition of "crappy internet" change while we weren't looking?

And I'm all for moving into the future, having been an early adopter all my life

-Noel

Since I live about 1/4 mile from one of those 'Office trunks' they offering me 100 Mbps, 1 Gbps here where I live 15 miles from town but that comes at a price I'm not willing to pay monthly although that is probably just 3 hours pay.

I pay for a 10mb dsl and I get that consistently. Course if I speed up I can share my data with MS a lot faster :w00t:

Thanks for the information.  However, the purpose of allowing windows update to upgrade/update the activated Windows 10 Home was to see that it would install cleanly.  The actual download time was reasonable with the 12 Gbps internet connection.  It was the actual install that was the problem. The installed Win 10 Home took up about 23 GB of disk space.  There was about 90 GBs of space available for the upgrade to use.  The system had been wiped clean for any malware or virus before the update started.

I've used a Win 10 iso to try to update several activated Windows 7 systems.  However, most of those installs completed but the Windows 10 key was not activated as it should have been.

When I used the Windows Flag to update to Windows 10, that installed cleanly and Windows 10 was activated as it should be.

Going to the media creation tool Web site worked OK but their was no option to select Windows 10 version 1511, 10586 which is what the windows udate was trying to install.

Thanks again for trying to teach me procedures to get Windows 10 to consistently install.  I learn someting new every day.

With 10240 I just ran setup.exe straight off the usb/dvd from Windows.

I have had more success with that until the 586

I should be activated by now right? No key its hardware based?

Last go I burned 10586 to a dvd, shut down. Started up and stopped and deleted and formatted my drive(SSD). It asked for my key and I plugged in my HP OEM Pro key but it wouldn't take it, I am thinking because this is an upgrade to Pro its no longer an OEM? don't know.

slmgr /dli say Retail. Oh well choose skip

It installed really fast being an ESD. seemed like 10-15 minute range but then

have to apply W10Privacy then uninstall everything else MS from start including Store. Install my APPS with Runoncex and my unattended program.

My system is not best being 5 years old desktop but I do have an i7 3.4ghz, 8gb ram, 254gb ssd. These things matter at install time for sure.

Edited by maxXPsoft

MS seems to be the Joker.  Windows 10 RTM was the joke on me.  I found out how to tell what revision Win 10 was installed on the activated Win 10 PC.  It turns out that it is 10240.  That explains alot.  10240 was a want-a-be preview release that had the same issues as the RTM Windows 10 OS.  And yes, the OS windows update failed the same way.  I suppose it should, it's the same software.  From this and other forums, 10586 has a myriad of issues as well.  I guess it's time to wait for 6 months to see what shows up then.