Mini 10x64 in VHD

wimb

Hello together,

I think I did read the manual thoroughly but I got a problem between 3) and 4):

"Apply Compact LZX in 3.9 GB VHD" -> I create a new VHD, which is not selectable in the boot menu (only the 25 GB Version from Step 1/ 2). Shall I just rename the 3,9 GB so it has the same name?

However, I did copy this boot entry and did change the path files to new 3,9 GB VHD. At reboot I can choose it but after loading (the ACER Screen) I get a "black screen", no error, nothing happens. So I can not install SVBus driver.

Also: 

image.png.d6340fe4e6b97c664caa40edb55b772f.png

Here I have only "Boot Part" shown with a green point, nothing else.

On 8/6/2021 at 12:42 PM, Flippo94 said:

I think I did read the manual thoroughly but I got a problem between 3) and 4):

Capture and Apply at that point should be done with VHD_WIMBOOT program and Not with WinNTSetup.

After Capture of WIM from Selected VHD file, you can select that WIM file and Apply that WIM file to New Mini-10x64.vhd file of Size 3.9 GB.

The New VHD with Size 3.9 GB is created by VHD_WIMBOOT and that VHD has MBR and two partitions and the VHD FileName is given in the VHD FileSelector.

VHD_WIMBOOT automatically creates VHD if Not Exist and can Apply WIM file and Make Boot Entries on Selected Boot Drive

If you cannot Boot with the new Mini-10x64.vhd created by VHD_WIMBOOT program then please give ScreenShots of:

1. VHD_WIMBOOT program after Selecting WIM and VHD files and Selecting Boot Drive and just before Selecting Apply

2. Windows Disk Management showing Boot Drive and System Drive  partitions on your Disk

3. Windows Explorer in Detail Mode showing your Boot Drive and your System Drive Folders and Files

4. BOOTICEx64 program showing your BCD's (from Boot and EFI folder on Boot Drive) in Professional Mode

5. SystemInfo - Run msinfo32.exe

Edited by wimb

On 8/7/2021 at 11:37 AM, wimb said:

Capture and Apply at that point should be done with VHD_WIMBOOT program and Not with WinNTSetup.

Yes I know, but here is the screenshot

image.png.8a02cadb6500bd5d011f16eb6ae805ac.png

If I click on Upd WimBoot:

image.png.12cbab24ec6d859e6d845a0e18948897.png

When I select H as boot drive:

image.png.763b8fe09e03b334ba030b73436cc283.png

If I click on yes:

image.png.ca9e2aaee0e6b7e7cff670ac4a09213a.png

image.thumb.png.28899cae71732908f39f050ceec2bab2.png

image.thumb.png.ed72e8b66ccaca0c1956a964a2b32a35.png

For some reason I can't open/ show drive H.

What I did mean in my earlier post, not all three green points are shown in WinNTSetup:

image.png.8d5340c8a3d6001844dcea68323ffbda.png

image.png.aad882ecaabdc30032e8942f46a01738.png

self created (not working), because WimBoot didnt create any boot entry

image.png.fe5b13f4085655169573c0375e6498af.png

image.thumb.png.8aed051e945cfa650c4051bb63ba83dc.png

3 hours ago, Flippo94 said:

What I did mean in my earlier post, not all three green points are shown in WinNTSetup:

For GPT formatted disks, it will only show 1 icon.

@Flippo94

Thanks for the ScreenShots.

Let us do the following test:

1.  Run VHD_WIMBOOT_x64.exe (in your normal Win10x64 OS environment)
2. Select System Drive C:\Wimboot
3. Select WIM File C:\Wimboot\W10x64_DE_2.wim
4. Select Boot Drive H: (this is your mounted hidden ESP drive of GPT disk)
5. Press APPLY so that WIM file is applied to VHD auto created by the program (so don't select any VHD)
6. Exit VHD_WIMBOOT program when Apply has Finished
7. Run BOOTICEx64.exe and on tab BCD use Professional mode and Easy mode to show your BCD entry of the new created VHD
8. Make Screenshots of BOOTICE in Professional mode and Easy mode and publish it on the forum

Edited by wimb

17 hours ago, crashnburn4u said:

Can this Compact WIM VHD be done with a 2021 release of Win 10?

What size does it end up being? 

Yes and the Used Size of the 2021 version of Mini-10x64 will be about 2.8 GB

Edited by wimb

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 1:26 PM, wimb said:

Yes and the Used Size of the 2021 version of Mini-10x64 will be about 2.8 GB

Is it possible to make copies of the tiny VHD and use it as a BASE template for experimental use now and then?   So if it grows or messes up you just did it to the Copies. 

Also, been thinking if its possible to attach a Blank VHD as a D Drive to the Mini Win VHD to install or use certain programs etc without bloating the main VHD C drive. 

And to do all of the above via Native Boot as well as Hyper V 

5 hours ago, crashnburn4u said:

Is it possible to make copies of the tiny VHD and use it as a BASE template for experimental use now and then?   So if it grows or messes up you just did it to the Copies. 

Also, been thinking if its possible to attach a Blank VHD as a D Drive to the Mini Win VHD to install or use certain programs etc without bloating the main VHD C drive. 

And to do all of the above via Native Boot as well as Hyper V 

Sure you can make and use copies of the Mini-10x64.vhd file. Always keep the captured WIM file so that you also can create new VHD's with different size.

I prefer to use portable apps outside the VHD so that the VHD used size does not grow that much.

Always use the provided Firewall App Blocker and Enable WhiteList to Allow Internet Browser only.

This is the easiest way to block unwanted internet traffic including Windows Update and prevents the growth of Used Size inside VHD.

I have no experience with Hyper V ....

When you boot the VHD as RAMDISK then the original VHD does not change whatever you do on line ...

Edited by wimb

4 hours ago, wimb said:

Sure you can make and use copies of the Mini-10x64.vhd file. Always keep the captured WIM file so that you also can create new VHD's with different size.

I prefer to use portable apps outside the VHD so that the VHD used size does not grow that much.

Always use the provided Firewall App Blocker and Enable WhiteList to Allow Internet Browser only.

This is the easiest way to block unwanted internet traffic including Windows Update and prevents the growth of Used Size inside VHD.

I have no experience with Hyper V ....

When you boot the VHD as RAMDISK then the original VHD does not change whatever you do on line ...

Will do. One last question - related and may be still within the above or just out - hence asking. 

I still prefer using Win 8.1 - until I get forced off in next year or so. 

But I will be needing a Win 10 VHD purely for one thing (as they are eliminating Win 7/8 support) 

- iPhone, iPad backups using iTunes and iMazing (Do not like Apple and all big corps focing cloud / control on us) 

- And I am hoping to INSTALL them both on to another drive

- Maybe the drive that holds the VHD

- Maybe via Symlinks or Junctions (for itunes) and direct ext path in iMazing.  

Now, when I was installing iCloud on iTunes on another older test Win 10 (created via DISM somehow it became Edu instead of Pro/ Ent) it cried about needing Media Feature Pack (as mentioned here) 

My question being - Is this or some feature or component missing in the Win 10 VHD you've designed in the manual? Is above issue likely or can be avoided? 

If not, then im good/ safe to go with the above. 

For iCloud on iTunes you should first try the Full Win10x64.vhd as prepared according to page 2 of the Manual VHD_WIMBOOT PDF

It is quite likely that such feature does not work in the Mini-10x64.vhd where the focus is on saving space for fast loading into RAMDISK.

4 hours ago, wimb said:

For iCloud on iTunes you should first try the Full Win10x64.vhd as prepared according to page 2 of the Manual VHD_WIMBOOT PDF

It is quite likely that such feature does not work in the Mini-10x64.vhd where the focus is on saving space for fast loading into RAMDISK.

So, I executed Page 2 upto Step 6 last night. 

* Prior to that VHD Script used & executed using .BAT: 

REM @ECHO OFF
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -Command "& {Start-Process PowerShell.exe -ArgumentList '-NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File ""%~dpn0.ps1""' -Verb RunAs}"
PAUSE

$vhdpath = "C:\VHD\W10_21H1.vhd"
$vhdsize = 25GB
$vhdVolFsName = "W10_21H1"
New-VHD -Path $vhdpath -Dynamic -SizeBytes $vhdsize | Mount-VHD -Passthru | Initialize-Disk -PartitionStyle MBR -Passthru |New-Partition -AssignDriveLetter -UseMaximumSize | Format-Volume -NewFileSystemLabel $vhdVolFsName -FileSystem NTFS -Confirm:$false -Force 
Write-Host "Press any key to continue ..."

$x = $host.UI.RawUI.ReadKey("NoEcho,IncludeKeyDown")

Write-Host "Press any key to continue ...2 "

* Then followed Page 2 Steps upto 6. 

Right now I have a single partition VHD (Approx 8+ GB of on disk current size)  

When attached is labeled to mount as Y: 

-------------------------------

I just realized there's a lot more in your manual than I need or imagined. Which would be nice to have and push the envelope on. 

What if I do not "need" RAM booting? Is that the same as compacted WIM VHD booting? 

I truly I just need a smaller compact OS in a VHD - what seems like Page 6 talks about. - Is that essentially linked with RAM booting? 

If so, then what can I skip/ eliminate from the Manual? 

-------------------------------- 

I'll include all the manual magic in the next round of VHD games? :P :D 

Edited by crashnburn4u

On 9/15/2021 at 11:46 AM, crashnburn4u said:

What if I do not "need" RAM booting? Is that the same as compacted WIM VHD booting? 

I truly I just need a smaller compact OS in a VHD - what seems like Page 6 talks about. - Is that essentially linked with RAM booting? 

In that case:

1. WinNTSetup according to step 2-6 of page 2 as you did already

2. VHD_WIMBOOT - Capture WimBoot LZX and Apply in Compact LZX mode in Fixed VHD 10 or 15 GB - Offline Windows

This second step saves a lot of space and creates the Boot entries on Selected Boot Drive - Nothing more to do

- Always use the supplied Firewall App Blocker and Enable WhiteList to Allow Internet Browser only

- This is the easiest way to block unwanted internet traffic including Windows Update and prevents the growth of Used Size inside VHD

Edited by wimb

20 hours ago, wimb said:

In that case:

1. WinNTSetup according to step 2-6 of page 2 as you did already

// This was done, but slight differences: My VHD was single partition one, does not have its own separate "tiny" partition. Assuming yours does? 

Page 1

1. WinNTSetup - Fresh Install in 25 GB Fixed VHD located on internal SSD / Harddisk using Win10x64 ISO from TechBench - use page 2

Page 2

Create Win10x64.vhd using WinNTSetup x64 for Install of Win10 x64 in 25 GB Fixed VHD
1. Disconnect Internet LAN Ethernet cable - Start up with Windows 10 x64 Or 10XPE and Start WinNTSetup x64

// I did Step 1 from within Windows 8.1 and using WinNTSetup x64 applied (Win10_21H1_English_x64) ISO WIM (E:\sources\install.wim) using following steps to above Single partition VHD. 
Parameters shown exactly as is: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hj82hy6mluj0083/2021-09-17 15_37_16-WinNTSetup 4.6.5 Wimgapi 19041.1 uEFI Non SecureBoot.png?dl=0

2. In WinNTSetup x64 - location Windows Installation file sources\install.wim - use R-mouse to select Win10x64 ISO file from TechBench
3. Select Boot drive (usually EFI drive Z:) and Select VHD to Create 25 GB VHD located on internal SSD harddisk - VHD is mounted as Drive Y:
4. Choose Win10 Edition - Select desired Tweaks - Disable Hibernate - use Compact:XPRESS4K Mode to reduce the Used Size of Windows
5. Select Unattended Install - for Local Account Select unattend\Win7-10-Select.xml and fill in the form - Option: select to Add Drivers folder
6. Select Setup and select Legacy Boot Menu Style and OK to Install Win10x64 in VHD - choose OK and not Reboot

// DONE so far: Not run or done anything with above VHD - No even first initial boot. Zero. 

// When I run the VHD_WIMBOOT_64.EXE (from folder of version 56) I get this error message and the the UI becomes grayed/ ununsable: 

Error Message + Drives Info https://www.dropbox.com/s/psieb65w48ufx7c/W10_VHD_WIMBOOT.png?dl=0 
(Shows the drives also: C is SSD where 8 GB VHD was created and placed and mounted as Y: )
Rest are attached via USB 3 Hub. Are their connection causing issues? 

Grayed out UI: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfht6qn4kddc6av/2021-09-17 15_50_06-VHD_WIMBOOT x64 - APPLY WIM to VHD file - wimlib.png?dl=0

What is being looked for and missing or needs to be pointed towards? 

20 hours ago, wimb said:

2. VHD_WIMBOOT - Capture WimBoot LZX and Apply in Compact LZX mode in Fixed VHD 10 or 15 GB - Offline Windows

This second step saves a lot of space and creates the Boot entries on Selected Boot Drive - Nothing more to do

// How do I make this happen? I am guessing it also creates the BCD entries?
// But I need to "fine tune" something. What? 

// Which PAGE and what steps would be best to get the above Step 2 done? 

20 hours ago, wimb said:

- Always use the supplied Firewall App Blocker and Enable WhiteList to Allow Internet Browser only

- This is the easiest way to block unwanted internet traffic including Windows Update and prevents the growth of Used Size inside VHD

Yes, I'll probably do that once I get the above Steps done correctly. 

Edited by crashnburn4u

Stop at step 6 is wrong. Then Windows is not installed at all and besides the VHD remains mounted as drive Y: 

For VHD_WIMBOOT prg the VHD must be unmounted which would have occurred if you did at least step 9 but it is better to follow all steps of page 2

In VHD_WIMBOOT you can Select VHD file After select of System Drive (often drive C: where Wimboot folder with Captured WIM file and VHD file are located)

Then the Capture button can be used .....

Edited by wimb