Mini 10x64 in VHD

wimb

6 minutes ago, wimb said:

WinNTSetup will auto mount boot partition as Drive Z:

So can you boot now with VHD to Install Windows 10x64 in VHD ?

I don't understand how do I do it.

In the manual it says: 2. Boot with Win10XPE Or other Win10x64 and Switch off Defender - Start VHD WIMBOOT - select System Dive and the 25 GB VHD file.

Not clear to me. Also I am working out of Virtualbox. Is there a way to boot from VHD without USB drive?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, wimb said:

You don't have EFI partition since you are booting in MBR mode with \bootmgr and \Boot\BCD

In WinNTSetup use upper-right icon to launch BOOTICE to inspect BCD of current system in Professional mode

There must be at least two boot entries: your Windows and the VHD - Give Screenshot of BOOTICE showing BCD Menu entries

Take care that all menu entries have BootMenuPolicy = Legacy and that Windows Boot Manager Timeout = 30 seconds

step2_c_bootice-bcd-professional-vhd-legacy.jpg

1 hour ago, sharicov@gmail.com said:

I don't understand how do I do it.

In the manual it says: 2. Boot with Win10XPE Or other Win10x64 and Switch off Defender - Start VHD WIMBOOT - select System Dive and the 25 GB VHD file.

Not clear to me. Also I am working out of Virtualbox. Is there a way to boot from VHD without USB drive?

Don't use Virtualbox, it is nowhere stated to do so ....

Before Step 2. you need to do Step 1.

1. WinNTSetup do Fresh Install Compact 4K mode of Win10x64 in 25 GB VHD located on Internal System Drive C: - use page 2 of this Manual

Create the VHD in root of your normal Win10x64 drive C:  e.g. VHD is C:\Win10x64.vhd

Yes you can boot from internal SSD with VHD created next to your normal operating system. You get Windows Boot Manager multiboot menu.

Edited by wimb

41 minutes ago, wimb said:

Don't use Virtualbox, it is nowhere stated to do so ....

Before Step 2. you need to do Step 1.

1. WinNTSetup do Fresh Install Compact 4K mode of Win10x64 in 25 GB VHD located on Internal System Drive C: - use page 2 of this Manual

Create the VHD in root of your normal Win10x64 drive C:  e.g. VHD is C:\Win10x64.vhd

Yes you can boot from internal SSD with VHD created next to your normal operating system. You get Windows Boot Manager multiboot menu.

Redoing everything from scratch.

After WinNTSetup installation getting error BFSVC  0x70.(probably boot partition is too small (default windows installation)

PFA Host disk layout and the error message.

Error_BFSVC_error.jpg

Host_Disk_Layout.jpg

BTW: Boot partition got mapped correctly on disk Y:

Edited by sharicov@gmail.com

20 minutes ago, sharicov@gmail.com said:

Redoing everything from scratch.

After WinNTSetup installation getting error BFSVC  0x70.(probably boot partition is too small (default windows installation)

PFA Host disk layout and the error message.

System Reserved Hidden Boot Partition Size is far too small, only 50 MB with free space 2 MB :w00t:

Increase Size of Boot partition to 300 MB

You can use AOMEI Partition Manager in Win10XPE environment  Win10_Install.pdf 

Successfully booted from wim, now trying to capture with vhd_winboot (step 3 VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf)

Selected secondary disk like shown in the manual, when pressing capture getting following error Attach/Detach VHD - DiskPart Error

step2_a_capture_wim_to_second_drive.jpg

Error-STOP - VHD Drive not found.jpg

Edited by sharicov@gmail.com

In VHD_WIMBOOT the VHD must NOT be mounted in advance

(it is nowhere mentioned to mount the VHD in advance of using VHD_WIMBOOT) :w00t:

Use Windows Explorer to Eject the mounted VHD Drive.

Then Start VHD_WIMBOOT and continue the procedure ....

Where is Drive D: located ?

Edited by wimb

VHD is mounted because I am booting from it...

Or should I just boot from it for user folder to be created and then go back to the mastering environment? Nor clear to me from the manual:

2. Boot with Win10XPE Or other Win10x64 and Switch off Defender - Start VHD_WIMBOOT - select System Drive and the 25 GB VHD file.

Please clarify the flow

1 hour ago, sharicov@gmail.com said:

VHD is mounted because I am booting from it...

Or should I just boot from it for user folder to be created and then go back to the mastering environment? Nor clear to me from the manual:

2. Boot with Win10XPE Or other Win10x64 and Switch off Defender - Start VHD_WIMBOOT - select System Drive and the 25 GB VHD file.

Please clarify the flow

To me Step 2. is quite clear described - Just do it

You boot from VHD to Install Win10x64 in VHD and indeed then your User folder is created - Finally Shutdown

Boot Win10XPE Or other Win10x64 means that you are not anymore in VHD running Win10x64

For VHD_WIMBOOT the Windows to be Captured must be offline, so you just select the VHD file 

Edited by wimb

Followed your directions, booted from VHD and then back to normal OS.

Now at steps 3-5:

3. VHD_WIMBOOT - Capture with WimBoot mode and Copy the Captured WIM File to Wimboot folder on NTFS System Drive of Portable SSD
Selected vhd (not mapped) and normal OS (not vhd) and did capture - worked fine

4. VHD_WIMBOOT - Preset FILEDISK - Apply WIM with Compact LZX mode in Fixed VHD 25 GB located on NTFS System Drive of USB SSD

5. VHD_WIMBOOT - Preset RAMDISK - Apply WIM with WimBoot mode in Expandable VHD 3.9 GB located on NTFS System Drive of USB SSD

When selecting wim and pressing apply getting warning message Boot drive not selected.

Is it normal or am I missing something?

step3_a_apply_wim_Filedisk_normal_boot.jpg

boot_drive_not_selected.jpg