Microsoft Edge Chromium keeps closing on Windows Server 2012 R2

pokeguy

On 10/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, pokeguy said:

I've tried both the consumer and enterprise version of Edge but they keep randomly closing. Is there any fixes or should I just use a different browser?

Maybe try a different browser?

Edge is crummier than Internet Explorer IMO. At least there are still reasons for using IE for some things.

On 10/29/2020 at 7:02 AM, pokeguy said:

I've tried both the consumer and enterprise version of Edge but they keep randomly closing. Is there any fixes or should I just use a different browser?

Why though? 

2012 R2 is same code base as 8.1 and I am running it on 8.1 

On 11/8/2020 at 12:16 PM, crashnburn4u said:

Why though? 

2012 R2 is same code base as 8.1 and I am running it on 8.1 

I dunno, works fine for me on 8.1 as well but Server 2012 R2 for some reason

On 11/5/2020 at 2:54 AM, Dylan Cruz said:

Maybe try a different browser?

Edge is crummier than Internet Explorer IMO. At least there are still reasons for using IE for some things.

Yea I use Ungoogled Chromium now

On 11/15/2020 at 6:07 AM, Dylan Cruz said:

Why not just use SRWare Iron?

I did use SRW I before but an insight on it was that it had more issues being Closed Source and not as updated as Chromium which is open source build and possibly be tweaked to have similar features. 

Again this is a while back when I was looking at Chrome alternatives and did SRW I, Comodo Dragon, Water Fox, Chromium. Vivalid etc. 

19 hours ago, crashnburn4u said:

I did use SRW I before but an insight on it was that it had more issues being Closed Source and not as updated as Chromium which is open source build and possibly be tweaked to have similar features. 

Again this is a while back when I was looking at Chrome alternatives and did SRW I, Comodo Dragon, Water Fox, Chromium. Vivalid etc. 

It is closed source but AFAIK it's Chrome minus the privacy clobbers.

My only complaint is they've followed Chromium too blindly. I still use v70 from 2018, because Chromium v71 completely removed the original Chrome style theme and now forces metro UI. Makes me want to vomit. No thanks.

If it were open source, I figured Roytam could just fork the source code for 70 and make a new browser, but that doesn't seem likely to happen now.

4 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

If it were open source, I figured Roytam could just fork the source code for 70 and make a new browser, but that doesn't seem likely to happen now.

No it doesn’t seem likely, because roytam1 makes builds of Firefox-based browsers that could have supported Windows XP if the upstream developers had deemed it worthwhile. Chromium is another kettle of fish. In another year or so, the Chromium Project may expunge support for Windows 7 (and perhaps 8.1 at the same time) just as they did for XP and Vista in April 2016. When that day arrives, some browser developers will swing into action because Win7 will still have many users and Chrome is more popular than Firefox.

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

No it doesn’t seem likely, because roytam1 makes builds of Firefox-based browsers that could have supported Windows XP if the upstream developers had deemed it worthwhile. Chromium is another kettle of fish. In another year or so, the Chromium Project may expunge support for Windows 7 (and perhaps 8.1 at the same time) just as they did for XP and Vista in April 2016. When that day arrives, some browser developers will swing into action because Win7 will still have many users and Chrome is more popular than Firefox.

I guess that could be good/bad. I really hope some other riled up devs decide to fork v70 instead of the latest version at the time, and then patch it with security updates.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, cc333 said:

Interesting.  I wonder if someone could do something similar with v49 (the last Chrome to run unmodified on XP)?

This is unrelated to Server 2012 R2, but might be relevant to someone running Server 2008 SP2. The best-known fork of Chromium 49 was Opera 36. Their support for XP and Vista consisted of one security update released in August 2016. The developers of Slimjet and Yandex managed to backport higher Chromium versions for the benefit of XP and Vista, but after 2017 only Chinese companies continued to pursue that.

On 11/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, Dylan Cruz said:

My only complaint is they've followed Chromium too blindly. I still use v70 from 2018, because Chromium v71 completely removed the original Chrome style theme and now forces metro UI. Makes me want to vomit. No thanks.

:D I hate those as well, but never thought of Vomit as an expression but I get the "degeneration" of UI

On 11/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, Dylan Cruz said:

Roytam

Who that?