Installing Windows XP updates in 2020 to non english Windows XP

Mr.Scienceman2000

As you know windows update for Windows 2000/XP/Vista has been shut down and updates no longer cannot be installed that way. Before update servers went offline I managed to backup finnish localised updates using portable updates but unfortunately noticed that tool no longer wants to install patches on XP. I still got folder full of localised updates but no practical way installing them. I would need install ALL updates I have backed up to few windows xp clients. For english version there is sp4 but for finnish version there no aio update so what would be best way install them?

updates.PNG

You'd need to create a batch script of some sort from the exe's you have already, I've never done this before however, so can't really give you any advice.

I imagine it would be relatively trivial of a task to generate new lines to install silently every 'windowsxp-kbWHATEVER-x86' update executable in the folder with some kind of regex to fill in the info more easily.

On a side note I'm quite sure you can slipstream individual update files into an XP image using nLite. Presuming you still have original install media that isn't damaged or hacked about with, you could try that as well and save time after install too :P

Always test things like that in a VM or secondary partition though first to save hassling on real hardware or your main partition :p

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

On 10/30/2020 at 11:45 AM, Koishi Komeiji said:

You'd need to create a batch script of some sort from the exe's you have already, I've never done this before however, so can't really give you any advice.

I imagine it would be relatively trivial of a task to generate new lines to install silently every 'windowsxp-kbWHATEVER-x86' update executable in the folder with some kind of regex to fill in the info more easily.

On a side note I'm quite sure you can slipstream individual update files into an XP image using nLite. Presuming you still have original install media that isn't damaged or hacked about with, you could try that as well and save time after install too :P

Always test things like that in a VM or secondary partition though first to save hassling on real hardware or your main partition :p

Most of those wont slipstream using ntlite and been trying find order where should install them using script and when should reboot.

7 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Most of those wont slipstream using ntlite and been trying find order where should install them using script and when should reboot.

Shame... I was just grabbing at straws since I don't really know this stuff myself, heh - I mess with NT 6.0 more.

3 hours ago, luweitest said:

you may try the command line:

cd <patch path>

for %1 in (*.exe) do %1 -q

The -q switch is just an example normally meaning quiet installation; you may find other switches by typing "<patch.exe> /?"

that could work possibly and could automate it to add repeating it on reboot until ready to stop.

To install the updates i use this command in a batch file inside the folder :

FOR %%a IN (*.exe) DO %%a /quiet /norestart

And to know when to restart, I test. But that was when WU was still available (it was re-proposing the update). Otherwise, start by installing the oldest ones and restart when a small number are installed.

Edited by max-h