Daylight Savings

InterLinked

There are many reasons Windows 7 is an objectively superior OS to Windows 10 and why I will use it until I die.

This is one of them:

Naturally, Windows 10 users won't get this notification. That would, you know, actually improve the UX, so that would be anti-Windows 10. Guess you'll have to wait for the Sunday paper to tell you what you missed.

Capture.PNG

• 4 months later...

Hey, everyone - looks like the clocks are rolling forward next week:

image.png.ba47f18ea5bb22e0c3cd3903f147583a.png

Posting this here, since I know all the people in Windows 10 land will be completely ignorant of this. Hey, it's Windows 10 - you don't get what you didn't pay for - or what you did pay for!

Seriously, I can only imagine what the Windows 10 product managers were thinking:

Bob: We don't want the operating system to be too intrusive - let's take out the Daylight Savings nag so people don't get annoyed.

Alice: Great idea! Let's send updates to all the Windows 7 users to tell them how awesome Windows 10 is and how to get their free upgrade!

• 1 year later...

StartIsBack++ brought the registry setting back for newer versions. ExplorerPatcher, originally developed for Windows 11, now also supports Windows 10 and has an option to turn on the old calendar.

spacer.png

Edited by UCyborg

How do you people feel about DST? I've read USA is going permanent DST while Europe will continue to change clocks at least until 2026. Initially, it was supposed to end by 2021 or so, but I didn't catch what time would end up permanent.

I think either two options above are bul***** and vote for permanent standard time. Daylight Stupid Time belongs in the history books.

5 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

How do you people feel about DST? I've read USA is going permanent DST while Europe will continue to change clocks at least until 2026. Initially, it was supposed to end by 2021 or so, but I didn't catch what time would end up permanent.

I think either two options above are bul***** and vote for permanent standard time. Daylight Stupid Time belongs in the history books.

I agree. Permanent Standard Time. I'm a morning person and I prefer the "real" time.

I know some people who refuse to observe DST and they basically live in their own time zone during DST...

On 3/27/2022 at 12:41 PM, UCyborg said:

I've thought this for years was an utterly redundant feature of modern 24/7 societies, particularly with IT meaning we're often communicating with other people who are in completely different time zones and can be anywhere in the world. For many people IT has made DST an irrelevance.

You can understand it, just about, for countries in the far north (Scandinavia) and far south wanting to optimise their limited daylight hours to the working day but for the rest of us having to change the clock times every six months is absurd.

I've just finished going around the house resetting all the clocks and equipment that don't do that automatically............................tedious.

The usual excuse in the UK for the those bleating about having a permanent standard time is that in the north farmers will have to start work in the dark and schoolkids will have to go to school in the dark and come home in the dark. That risks them becoming victims of more road accidents.

Yet the one trial they did in the UK from 1968 -1971 swapping to permanent British Summer Time (BST) in March that first year, which I am just old enough to remember, actually showed it reduced the number of road traffic accidents in total.

In fact I went to school in the south of England and like hundreds of others in the area we had a significant commute by foot, train and bus which meant that for at least four months of the year: November to February we were setting off before the sun had risen at 07.45 - 08.00 and arriving back home 16.30 - 17.00 after it had set.       

Edited by WalksInSilence
typo

Real story. I wake up in sunday checking clock I got. It shows 8:00 and I am meeting friend on 10:00 so I decide to sleep one more hour. Then friend calls me that where I am and I realize was DST...

Likely I am not only who had that since not every single clock in planet got auto DST or internet time. I hate whole thing period. I have not been on computer or doing lot on home so I missed DST changing. Someone could say I just add notification but it is easier cut whole DST

On 3/27/2022 at 1:41 PM, UCyborg said:

To put it simply, I hate it. I prefer permanent standard time (real time). Good thing is, I keep DST disabled on my main system, and on my VMs I own (and every VM I create), to prevent time forwarding, since it misleads me.

Edited by mina7601