NetFramework Windows Vista Problem

windowsvistadude512

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

I'm not sure how to make this "proof" , as I told before , this program installs just fine , then I launch it , everything is fine too ... then it just quits without warnings or errors. It may happen in about 5 minutes or 20 , the time is different in each case . I can't make a screenshot of this quitting program , it's obvious . Of course you may not listen , the choice is yours. The most important here, Microsoft doesn't officially support 4.7.2 and 4.6.2 or even 4.6.1 on Vista , so it is you who should create "proof" that it is working in your case , I mean , your word against the official statement of Microsoft.

Links to their statement:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49982

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53344

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054530/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-offline-installer-for-windows

I cannot care less about Microsoft’s statement.If you rely on official support, then Vista is almost dead in modern world. Thanks to @win32 and his extended kernel, Vista is more than usable nowadays. My point is, that it is a long time, since someone here on msfn (sorry forgot who it was) discovered, how to install .net 4.6.2 and up. Nobody reported any issues. My point is, that you’re the first one, I don’t have to proof something what you can just look up here on msfn. Oh and btw in 2019 I used Vista exclusively as my main os for 3 whole months. with .net 4.7.2. You should definitely try newer .net than 4.5 (Some games do actually require it too, but I only heard about unity games).

7 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I cannot care less about Microsoft’s statement.If you rely on official support, then Vista is almost dead in modern world. Thanks to @win32 and his extended kernel, Vista is more than usable nowadays. My point is, that it is a long time, since someone here on msfn (sorry forgot who it was) discovered, how to install .net 4.6.2 and up. Nobody reported any issues. My point is, that you’re the first one, I don’t have to proof something what you can just look up here on msfn. Oh and btw in 2019 I used Vista exclusively as my main os for 3 whole months. with .net 4.7.2. You should definitely try newer .net than 4.5 (Some games do actually require it too, but I only heard about unity games).

I should chime in on this, as I have some of my own issues with .NET.

4.6 seems fine to me; it is the minimum version required to launch the Visual Studio Community Edition installer. Haven't bothered with it enough to go past the "Windows 7 SP1 required" message, but if I have to I will.

4.7.x (a very recent finding of failure for me for this one) and 4.8 however, cause this and a few other newer .NET 4.x programs to crash. 3ds max 2021 is .NET 4.8-based and also crashes after launch. I'm trying to figure it out, but it is harder to deal with .NET than pure win32.

Edited by win32

44 minutes ago, win32 said:

I should chime in on this, as I have some of my own issues with .NET.

4.6 seems fine to me; it is the minimum version required to launch the Visual Studio Community Edition installer. Haven't bothered with it enough to go past the "Windows 7 SP1 required" message, but if I have to I will.

4.7.x (a very recent finding of failure for me for this one) and 4.8 however, cause this and a few other newer .NET 4.x programs to crash. 3ds max 2021 is .NET 4.8-based and also crashes after launch. I'm trying to figure it out, but it is harder to deal with .NET than pure win32.

Don’t know about 4.8, but 4.7.2 gave me no issues. But to be honest, apart from share x and handbrake, I don’t use many of .net apps. Does that mean, that 4.8 even with extended kernel is sort of useless on vista?

5 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Don’t know about 4.8, but 4.7.2 gave me no issues. But to be honest, apart from share x and handbrake, I don’t use many of .net apps. Does that mean, that 4.8 even with extended kernel is sort of useless on vista?

4.6.2 also is causing the same issue with the VS installer. I'm going to check if a specific function is causing this (using the method I recommended for KernelXE) and then hopefully fix it. Older and simpler .NET stuff continues to work in my experience though.

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, Jaguarek62 said:

My point is, that it is a long time, since someone here on msfn (sorry forgot who it was) discovered, how to install .net 4.6.2 and up. Nobody reported any issues.

Yes, those discussions are mostly buried in the lengthy sticky thread about “last versions of software for [vanilla] Vista.” I don’t recall any issues being reported there either. Personally, I never used a version higher than 4.6.0 on Vista because I never especially wanted to run a program that required a higher .NET version. In fact I only have one program that needs 4.6, or else I might still use the 4.5.2 that Windows Update gave me before the apocalypse. But in these post-apocalyptic times, running software that officially requires Win7 is all the rage, and some such programs naturally need newer .NET versions.

I wonder if the OP was trying to use a web installer, and wouldn’t be surprised if M$ has blocked those for Vista and XP by now. The OP started another thread on October 27, but hasn’t visited MSFN since then and may have given up on Vista.

• 5 months later...
On 11/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, win32 said:

except that Microsoft recently announced that they will be retiring support for certain 4.x versions (including .NET 4.6) next year in April 2022.
also announced here as well.

.NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, and 4.6.1 will reach end of support* on April 26, 2022. After this date, we will no longer provide updates including security fixes or technical support for these versions.

Customers currently using .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, or 4.6.1 need to update their deployed runtime to a more recent version – at least .NET Framework 4.6.2 before April 26, 2022 – in order to continue to receive updates and technical support.

best to find a way to install & use .NET 4.6.2 or better under Vista by April of next year

Edited by erpdude8