NetFramework Windows Vista Problem

windowsvistadude512

Have you checked in Programs and Features > Uninstall or change a program to see if a Microsoft .NET Framework 4.x version is already installed? (.NET 3.5 SP1 is not the problem - you can have that and a 4.x version installed at the same time - and btw there is no SP2 for it.) Windows Update (with appropriate settings) used to offer 4.5.2 to Vista. The last version to officially support Vista was 4.6, but 4.6.1 also worked without any issues. Wonder what reason there could be for wanting 4.0?

17 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Have you checked in Programs and Features > Uninstall or change a program to see if a Microsoft .NET Framework 4.x version is already installed? (.NET 3.5 SP1 is not the problem - you can have that and a 4.x version installed at the same time - and btw there is no SP2 for it.) Windows Update (with appropriate settings) used to offer 4.5.2 to Vista. The last version to officially support Vista was 4.6, but 4.6.1 also worked without any issues. Wonder what reason there could be for wanting 4.0?

nope, only hotfix for 3.5 netframework, also, windows update doesnt work anymore.

3 hours ago, windowsvistadude512 said:

nope, only hotfix for 3.5 netframework, also, windows update doesnt work anymore.

Then I don’t really know why 4.0 wouldn’t install. If you just installed Vista sometime this year, then it might possibly be a certificate issue, since certificates seem to have stopped updating automatically on Vista earlier this year.

I do know that you can only have one 4.x version installed, and 4.0 was only a high version from an XP perspective. I also know that Windows Update has been discontinued, but it was still working when I installed Vista and it seemed noteworthy that it gave me 4.5.2, which I later replaced with 4.6 for the sake of one program that I wanted to update on vanilla Vista. If you intend to run Windows 7 software with the aid of the extended kernel as mentioned in your Roblox post, then you may need an even higher 4.x version.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Then I don’t really know why 4.0 wouldn’t install. If you just installed Vista sometime this year, then it might possibly be a certificate issue, since certificates seem to have stopped updating automatically on Vista earlier this year.

I do know that you can only have one 4.x version installed, and 4.0 was only a high version from an XP perspective. I also know that Windows Update has been discontinued, but it was still working when I installed Vista and it seemed noteworthy that it gave me 4.5.2, which I later replaced with 4.6 for the sake of one program that I wanted to update on vanilla Vista. If you intend to run Windows 7 software with the aid of the extended kernel as mentioned in your Roblox post, then you may need an even higher 4.x version.

yeah, you are correct, the vista ship is sinking...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 10:38 AM, windowsvistadude512 said:

Hi , windows update doesnt work anymore , that's right , but no one is standing between you and manual update , right ? I have VCRedist 2005 - 2015 , NET 4.5.1 and DX11 installed without any troubles , you don't need to instal any updates for them to work , you just need to update certificates, there is plenty of info on this marvellous forum regarding this issue. I hope some veteran members will give you the direct link.

On 10/24/2020 at 6:25 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

... The last version to officially support Vista was 4.6, but 4.6.1 also worked without any issues. Wonder what reason there could be for wanting 4.0?

Hi , for me 4.6 and 4.6.1 gave nothing but troubles , esp. with video software . The best and most compatible is 4.5.1 , I think it is the last .NET which should be advised for installation to the non-experienced (ordinary) users.

12 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Hi , for me 4.6 and 4.6.1 gave nothing but troubles , esp. with video software . The best and most compatible is 4.5.1 , I think it is the last .NET which should be advised for installation to the non-experienced (ordinary) users.

I installed .net 4.6.1 on multiple machines without issues. 4.7.2 works also without any issues. Maybe this was isolated issue?

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I installed .net 4.6.1 on multiple machines without issues. 4.7.2 works also without any issues. Maybe this was isolated issue?

I don't think so , I had multiple problems on various machines , software just quits itself for no apparent reason , for example PwerDVD , tried versions from 14 to 17. As soon as I revert back to 4.5.1 , everything works flawlesly. And some more conflicts and crashes with certain (quite popular software). May I ask , what for do you need 4.7.2 or even 4.6.1 on Vista ?

34 minutes ago, Dixel said:

May I ask , what for do you need 4.7.2 or even 4.6.1 on Vista ?

Handbrake and musicbee do require it. Anyways why wouldn't you use the newest possible version? it is just future proofing. 

Edit: I forgot sharex

34 minutes ago, Dixel said:

And some more conflicts and crashes with certain (quite popular software).

I would like to see some proof. Nobody here have had mentioned it. I have experienced a ton of issues with vista, but never with .net

Edited by Jaguarek62

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Handbrake and musicbee do require it. Anyways why wouldn't you use the newest possible version? it is just future proofing. 

Edit: I forgot sharex

I would like to see some proof. Nobody here have had mentioned it. I have experienced a ton of issues with vista, but never with .net

I'm not sure how to make this "proof" , as I told before , this program installs just fine , then I launch it , everything is fine too ... then it just quits without warnings or errors. It may happen in about 5 minutes or 20 , the time is different in each case . I can't make a screenshot of this quitting program , it's obvious . Of course you may not listen , the choice is yours. The most important here, Microsoft doesn't officially support 4.7.2 and 4.6.2 or even 4.6.1 on Vista , so it is you who should create "proof" that it is working in your case , I mean , your word against the official statement of Microsoft.

Links to their statement:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49982

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53344

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054530/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-offline-installer-for-windows

Edited by Dixel