Good Vista motherboards

Valvados

Anyone who regularly uses Vista have motherboard recommendations?

Board's I have that might be relevant;

Asrock 970m Pro3 (AM3+) - specs 16gb at 1600 kingston,  gtx 1070 oc, fx8320. WD blue 1tb storage, Kingston 120g os.

Asrock Dual-VSTA (socket 775)- Had bad compatibility with 7 and Vista back in the day when those OSes were fresh, haven't done anything intensive with it lately but it's what I currently have Vista x64 installed on. Beta bios, e7600 cpu, 3.4gb detected ddr2 running at 633mhz. Have a gtx 560 ti ordered on the way for whatever vista rig I end up going with.

Optiplex 790 (LGA1155)- Not sure on the specific version but it's looks like a standard matx mobo with normal power connectors. (building an arcade cabinet out of this has a i5-2500s, 8gb ddr3, GTX 570 direct CUII.).

4 hours ago, Valvados said:

Anyone who regularly uses Vista have motherboard recommendations?

Board's I have that might be relevant;

Asrock 970m Pro3 (AM3+) - specs 16gb at 1600 kingston,  gtx 1070 oc, fx8320. WD blue 1tb storage, Kingston 120g os.

Asrock Dual-VSTA (socket 775)- Had bad compatibility with 7 and Vista back in the day when those OSes were fresh, haven't done anything intensive with it lately but it's what I currently have Vista x64 installed on. Beta bios, e7600 cpu, 3.4gb detected ddr2 running at 633mhz. Have a gtx 560 ti ordered on the way for whatever vista rig I end up going with.

Optiplex 790 (LGA1155)- Not sure on the specific version but it's looks like a standard matx mobo with normal power connectors. (building an arcade cabinet out of this has a i5-2500s, 8gb ddr3, GTX 570 direct CUII.).

The 970m Pro3 system looks like it'd be the best choice, with the Optiplex 790 as a alternative.

I'm more interested in the 970m Pro3 system, as it would let you work with @win32 by being another tester for better GTX 1000 series drivers on Vista

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 6:22 PM, asdf2345 said:

The 970m Pro3 system looks like it'd be the best choice, with the Optiplex 790 as a alternative.

I'm more interested in the 970m Pro3 system, as it would let you work with @win32 by being another tester for better GTX 1000 series drivers on Vista

I've actually decided to make that my vista rig but I can do a Vista install on it as is with the 1070 on a spare drive until I swap it out of my main rig which I've decided to swap out too i5 6600k with a m.2 gigabyte matx and matching kingston ram, sometime in the future. Optiplex I think I'll keep as the arcade because the i5 is slightly better for gaming than the 8320. Also had two 560ti auctions canceled on me so whenever I move the rig over the vista rig will end up with a 650ti now it looks like. Which is great because I can mess around with different drivers figuring out what's best for the old games I plan on running on it, Turok 08' will be one of em that I feel screws up modern rigs installs. 6xx was the last to support 310 drivers which closely match the older physx drivers that screw up modern nvidia environments.

1 hour ago, docR said:

General rule of thumb. As little broadcom/Intel as possible, and as many Realtek devices on-board as possible :yes:

Intel WAN can be alright, my I211 works with Server 2008 R1 SP2 I210 drivers

Edited by asdf2345

On 11/3/2020 at 5:08 AM, docR said:

as many Realtek devices on-board as possible

I can't tell if this is good advice or not given how irritating their drivers are but I mean at least they tend to work seeing as they're a Taiwanese company that seem to have a good track record for supporting old OSes for years and years.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:15 PM, Koishi Komeiji said:

I can't tell if this is good advice or not given how irritating their drivers are but I mean at least they tend to work seeing as they're a Taiwanese company that seem to have a good track record for supporting old OSes for years and years.

Well it's either that or no drivers at all. Intel is a little hit or miss, but just fine if they support you. I think Intel devices on x79 boards are generally just fine.