TeamViewer has gone bye-bye on Windows XP, replacement needed

assenort

I will gladly :) rephrase:

19 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Only as a marginal note, I just saw that nomachine is XP compatible:

https://www.nomachine.com/download

jaclaz

As:

Only as a marginal note, I just happened to notice that nomachine is still XP compatible (more than one year later last report, on another thread, by RainyShadow). [1]

jaclaz

[1] it remains only a note and a marginal one, nothing more, nothing less.

• 3 years later...

On 10/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, we3fan said:

https://anydesk.com/en

I have tested AnyDesk to connect Win XP to Win 7 and it worked OK, I haven't tried connecting Win XP to Win 10.

Even though this post is 3 years old, and Windows 10 was the latest Windows version at that time, I just tried connecting Win XP to my friend's Win 11 PC using AnyDesk. It works OK! Also, performance isn't bad after all (after testing it for a while), at least on my Win XP SP3 VM with just 2 GB RAM. Here's how it looks like:

GG9-DW8wt-A0.png

And don't worry about the sound tray icon displaying like that, it's just that he didn't install an audio device. Other than that, everything works fine.

Edited by mina7601

well: aeroadmin 

but actually i think we have to understand something very important

in the past there where a mp3 player called winamp

it made like countless upgrades said to make everything better - but actually it was always the same quality of sound 

at the very best a few bug fixed where needed 

and for misc maybe a nice gui (what is not neccesary requied its just a view question)

what we have to consider if that "new versions" even brought some useful new functions (what they often do not - often even they decrease in quality like more cpu useage and such) 

it always like "here is a new version we must have this" - what actually might not be needed - it can be needed - but not always and on the other hand we should consider that we might dont have benefits or less benefits (such as just a new grafic interface)

if we could we might should ask teamviewer why they even do this like that - they dont seems to have benefits to me just getting their software less compatible (what actually means less possible customers)

18 hours ago, 66cats said:

It does, Not for security afficionados, but work it does.

Screenshot_3.jpg

Yep RDP also works as long as Network Level Authentication is disabled, which is totally fine for an internal network, but I wouldn't dare to use it over the internet (public network) in the wild nowadays... (unless you're asking for troubles, that is).

Out of curiosity, are you using RDP without NLA over the internet? O_O

I'm personally using Anydesk for remote connections over the internet (public network) and RDP for internal connections between computers in my house (internal network).

23 hours ago, mina7601 said:

GG9-DW8wt-A0.png

Not related to OS compatibility, but since you posted that screen with the red banner, it reminded me to bring up that they're serious about the free license and non-professional use. I used it at times at work when there was a customer that happened to have AnyDesk ready to be able to connect quickly, but I stopped using it since they started blocking with long timed nags about obtaining a license.

So I have to stick with (licensed) TeamViewer for the most part. I liked the older version better that has labelled buttons on the command bar or however they call it, but one time a customer appeared that I just couldn't connect to, then it worked after I ran the update.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:29 PM, UCyborg said:

Not related to OS compatibility, but since you posted that screen with the red banner, it reminded me to bring up that they're serious about the free license and non-professional use. I used it at times at work when there was a customer that happened to have AnyDesk ready to be able to connect quickly, but I stopped using it since they started blocking with long timed nags about obtaining a license.

What I also hate is the limitation of sessions in the free license. Other than that, AnyDesk is fine.

Edited by mina7601