TeamViewer has gone bye-bye on Windows XP, replacement needed

assenort

Hi guys,

For about 5 years now, I have been using a headless box running updated-to-the-last Windows XP Home SP3 to store and keep my software, games, video and music files. TeamViewer was my tool to connect to this machine from my main computer for the purpose of manually updating the antivirus definitions (Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1), browse the stored files, and finally shut down the machine when finished. It was a simple, workable solution that served me perfectly. The last version of TV on this machine was 14.2.56673.

Unfortunately, TeamViewer in all their wisdom decided to ditch Windows XP altogether. Now I cannot connect to the storage comp either from my main computer (Windows 10 x64, TV 15.10.5), or from the third computer on my small home LAN - another XP Home SP3 with TV 14.2.56673. Forgot to mention that even the 5-minute limited session is no longer available.

I spent some time on the Internets looking for alternatives to TV, but none is much to my liking. Also cannot use the Windows Remote Connection from my Win 10 machine because it does not work with WinXP Home versions (unless you convert from Home to Pro using hacks, which is something I do not want to do).

Does anyone know of some tool that can remote connect Win 10 and Win XP machines (or Win XP Home to Win XP Home machine) similar to TeamViewer, but operating within the boundaries of the home LAN; meaning it does not have to go through some server somewhere on the Internet that requires account, ID, authentication and so forth? Please share thoughts and suggestions on this topic, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best to all :-)

Edited by assenort

Remote Utilities

https://www.remoteutilities.com/

XP is officialy supported and they have a free licence up to 10 remote computers. :P

Read the documentation.

Once installed, you don't need to use their servers. :rolleyes:

I use this software since 2011 and I have a lot of licences (there was no free licence in 2011).

If you only need to connect within LAN, teamviewer still works. In options -> general -> network settings -> incoming LAN connections, select "accept". Version 14.2.56676 tested.

But within LAN, I'd rather use windows built-in remote desktop.

Hi luweitest,

Thank you for trying to help.

I however have to disagree with your statement. I cannot connect via TeamViewer between either of my three computers on the home LAN, even though "Incoming LAN connections" is set to "accept" as per your suggestion. My Windows 10 machine runs TV 15.11.6 (which is latest), my two Windows XP Home SP3 machines run TV 14.2.56676 (which is also latest for WinXP). Every time I try to establish a connection such as:

- From Win 10 machine to Win XP machine

- From Win XP machine to Win XP machine

I get the following sweet message one (see below).

When trying to connect Win XP machine to Win 10 machine, I get the similarly sweet message two (again see below).

So TeamViewer is out the door for me. But TightVNC does perfect job in this regard - the only drawback is not so visible display, but this is not a big headache.

Best :-)

PS. Please note that Microsoft Remote Desktop does NOT work with Windows XP Home; works only with the Pro version.

Project1.jpg

Project2.png

Edited by assenort

On 10/30/2020 at 3:23 AM, assenort said:

My Windows 10 machine runs TV 15.11.6 (which is latest), my two Windows XP Home SP3 machines run TV 14.2.56676 (which is also latest for WinXP).

In order to make teamviewer work within LAN, the server and client should both in same version. So you should install 14.2.56676 on Win10 too, and disable auto-update (I tested on Win7).

On 10/30/2020 at 3:23 AM, assenort said:

PS. Please note that Microsoft Remote Desktop does NOT work with Windows XP Home; works only with the Pro version.

Google says: Remote Desktop client works with Windows XP Home edition, and there's method to make rdp server works too, though seems a bit complicated.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Only as a marginal note, I just saw that nomachine is XP compatible:

https://www.nomachine.com/download

jaclaz

On 6/24/2019 at 12:12 AM, RainyShadow said:

Just tested https://www.nomachine.com/

It starts fine, but i wasn't able to connect even once. The client just looped reconnecting.

Also, seems to run only with direct connection - either local or with port-forwarding.

The installer is very invasive - it adds an administrator account, installs a few trusted publisher certificates and several virtual devices. Fortunately the uninstaller is decent enough to remove all this.

So far AnyDesk seems best. With its single, under 3MB executable, it beats both Teamviewer and Nomachine (over 130MB)