Don't see the printers

Karol

I want to share 2 printers that are connected through USB to a computer
From that computer i print, but there is no sharing tab on them in Devices and Printers, and also i don't see them in file explorer
It was O.K. once

I do not know why the printers do not show but perhaps in Device Manager uninstall them if they are there then reinstall them or at least unplug them and plug them back in after a reboot. If that does not work make sure there are no USB problems. I say this because my USB TV card was getting too hot and actually caused USB problems where the mouse would not move smoothly. I removed the TV card's shell and placed copper heat-sinks on the chips then placed a larger heat-sink across the 2 copper ones. The larger heat-sink was necessary because the TV card was still failing and now is reliable. I use TV for hours continuously. Perhaps unplug all USB devices except mouse and keyboard and update the USB controller device in device Manager then restart machine. Cable Mouse/keyboard devices can short out due to wire failure after prolonged use. 

Make sure the local network is private. If it is then the firewall may need adjusting. In saying this if your install was logged in to a Microsoft account at first then there are big sharing problems. I say this because I cannot connect to any other machines shares except Win7's. The other Win10 machine I have running was not logged into a Microsoft account when installing will not connect to the NAS drive even though it sees it. You have to be scrupulous and turn on sharing in All Networks and Guest or Public sections of advanced sharing settings. I do not have printers directly connected to Win10 or 7 but use a Network USB server which has 4 USB ports, it works good but only one machine can be connected to the printer at one time so you have to disconnect from one machine so that another machine can connect. Drivers are not available for WinME for which I have a dedicated printer.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I used to be able to access my NAS drive but I think the last update has stopped it and it says that the NAS is inaccessible and you may need administrative privileges to access but how can an Android based share drive do that. You can access the NAS drive via the media connection and when WMP opens then select open file location. So what I am saying it is probably due to the latest update mine says Windows 10 @ 2020. Keep plugging Microsoft for a correction because I have errors that go back to at least Win7 and then it is harder for them to listen.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

@monkeylove I have no problem with the shares tab, both Server and Security Accounts Manager services are running. My problem is I cannot see any other shares except Win7 ones. The printer problems are current and Microsoft has several reports on record about it.

Yes I realized this after I posted and read Karol's post again.

Open Control Panel then select category > large icons then Devices and Printers. Right click select the USB printer to share then select Printer properties. The share tab should be there. Once you have it shared go to the other PC to which you want to use the printer. Then in Devices and Printers select Add a printer and then select network printer ( Win7 ). It should be there in the list. Win10 searches first.

I have another idea for Karol to try if they have security ownership experience and the above is not working. If no experience just ask if you need help. The idea is create a short-cut to the printer then on security tab select advanced then click share then select everyone full access. If everyone is not listed which it may not be if you have not included 'everyone' as a user before. I had made the 'everyone' user for access to my shares and is necessary and also to delete old operating system stuff. Windows will offer to delete old OS if drive is approaching full but it is handy to know what to do yourself. Go next to effective access and select a user then select advanced then select 'find now' then select 'everyone' then select OK. Then go to original page and add user 'everyone', then grant them the control you want. This will allow every PC on the local LAN to have potential to access and with full control selected the potential to delete files. If you want full access and the need to delete files then other users will have to be edited out and it is a little more complex but I have done it several times before.

I thought I would suggest this for the printer perhaps but you will need the drivers on the remote PC for the printer as well probably. ( Very old OS's are still locked out but some people have them connected to shares. )

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Click the "Start" menu > choose "Devices and Printers > right-click on your printer > select "Printer properties" > open the "Sharing" tab, and then check the check box labeled "Share this printer." 

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I'm not positive. Some USB hubs do not allow or only allow communication in a "typical" manner between ports on the hubs. (USB to machine, with USB devices attached to ports).

Both of these machines are on the same network? The printer how should be able to hook up to PC A and then share it with PC B. PC A would have to print on everything PC B needs.

Edited by Areba21