Jump to content
MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

List of software that doesn't support Windows 7


asdf2345
 Share

Recommended Posts


Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019) and Black Ops Cold War will stop working on Windows 7 (officially) on September 7th.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Diablo II Resurrected doesn't support it, I found out when I went to buy it. As far as the details, the store page lists Windows 10 as the minimum, and running the Beta on Windows 7 resulted in a version check failure. I'm fairly certain that it is possible to run it on Windows 7 but do not know whether it can be done without editing the binary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Diablo II Resurrected doesn't support it, I found out when I went to buy it. As far as the details, the store page lists Windows 10 as the minimum, and running the Beta on Windows 7 resulted in a version check failure. I'm fairly certain that it is possible to run it on Windows 7 but do not know whether it can be done without editing the binary.

Knowing Battle.net you probably gonna get banned for that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2021 at 6:23 PM, tyl0413 said:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019) and Black Ops Cold War will stop working on Windows 7 (officially) on September 7th.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

that is what I hate on modern gaming. Back in day when games were on disk (unless some annyoing drm) I was able run same game on original platform no issues. And I bet like others they refuse to allow download last windows 7 compatible release of game. My boxed copy of Half-life still runs on Windows 95 or windows 98 after all these years and not nagging I need Windows 11

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 is the last release that supports Windows 7.

Latest MySQL is supposedly supported only on Windows 10 and the server equivalents while MariaDB supports Windows 8.1. It would have to be tried to see if they're actually bound to newer APIs.

Was "support" ever connected to technical ability, specifically, binding to specific APIs? At least the way people talk; they seem to connect term "support" to technical ability, eg. they're surprised something runs on "unsupported" platform (read "untested").

The place I work at also supports Windows 8.1 at minimum merely because that's what MS "supports". Realistically, the software runs on Windows 7 because its major dependency .NET Framework 4.8 is supported and runnable on Windows 7. The native parts are bound to VC 2015+ runtimes, which still run on 7.

Edited by UCyborg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

that is what I hate on modern gaming. Back in day when games were on disk (unless some annyoing drm) I was able run same game on original platform no issues. And I bet like others they refuse to allow download last windows 7 compatible release of game. My boxed copy of Half-life still runs on Windows 95 or windows 98 after all these years and not nagging I need Windows 11

Of course you can't download the last 7 compatible version, you always get the latest version and even if you keep the old install the game is always online therefor it'll just fail the server check on the old version and not run if you even get that for which you won't bc Battle.net will force the update on you before you can launch the game (and you can't launch without it bc it can't do the ownership check then).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tyl0413 said:

Of course you can't download the last 7 compatible version, you always get the latest version and even if you keep the old install the game is always online therefor it'll just fail the server check on the old version and not run if you even get that for which you won't bc Battle.net will force the update on you before you can launch the game (and you can't launch without it bc it can't do the ownership check then).

yes I know and that it is another problem. What if Blizzard would go bankrupt? Nobody would be ever be able play them again without modifying files. Same can applied most steam games. That is going to make game preservation harder on future. I guess in 20 years peoples wont be able play todays game like you can play 20 year old game since online depencies. There is some expections like starforce DRM games and secureRom games that I had issues running proper even back then, but for most parts those titles are usable on old or new HW from original disk or backup or disk.

I sorta wish GOG like approach where games are DRM free and can download them to pc and install on offline as many pc as you want and can keep version you want, but sadly gog patched games many times breaks compatibility with original OS too if classic title and most of them like Doom cannot be installed to my old 486 from diskettes like my original 1994 or 1995 copy can be, I need new computer to extract and transfer over to 486 from emulator folder. I am not saying modern patched cannot be option, but also offer original one if user want

We need back times when games were DRM free, were not tied any launcher expect maybe optionally could have server search client, games were supported on original platform during whole lifecycle. And addition to that I would want that games would be available on physical media that can  be used fully offline and digital copies could exist too that can be downloaded for offline use with or without client, giving end user freedom to choose what he/she wants.

But sadly public interest is not that since most users have no issues, putting up with DRM, 20 different game client, using latest MS os etc so will unlikely to happen

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 is the last release that supports Windows 7.

Latest MySQL is supposedly supported only on Windows 10 and the server equivalents while MariaDB supports Windows 8.1. It would have to be tried to see if they're actually bound to newer APIs.

Was "support" ever connected to technical ability, specifically, binding to specific APIs? At least the way people talk; they seem to connect term "support" to technical ability, eg. they're surprised something runs on "unsupported" platform (read "untested").

The place I work at also supports Windows 8.1 at minimum merely because that's what MS "supports". Realistically, the software runs on Windows 7 because its major dependency .NET Framework 4.8 is supported and runnable on Windows 7. The native parts are bound to VC 2015+ runtimes, which still run on 7.

It is more like what Microsoft wants. Many software devs are Microsoft partners and Microsoft gives them certain support guidelines. Good example of no support is AMD zen and AMD zen+ and Zen2 that claimed Windows 7 is unsupported OS, but I have been able to run Windows 7 on Zen and Zen+ using  OFFICAL AMD usb driver for Ryzen and Zen2 cpus works too if modify usb driver. Same happened on NVME drives that all sudden were never supported on Windows 7 despite there is NVME patch from MS to generic support, that disappeared from web.

Then for XP was all sudden XP never support Exfat drives (offical patch disappeared from MS site), it took forever to find that patch for Finnish Windows XP, but eventually did. Then last example is being Happauge USB Tv tuners. Back in 2015 their site said supported platforms being Windows XP-Windows 10 then today site claims only supports Windows 7+. Also they got Windows Media Center edition support site that says all tuner models are supported on Windows WMC edition 2005, which is Windows XP. I emailed their support asking if it can be used since conflicting  information on their current site and their response was XP had never been supported on those tuners. Well I bought one and after changing single 4 line of code at end of hwid on inf file (Version 5.2015.1030.34035) driver installed just fine and even IR remote worked under XP. So again lies.

I could list million examples but you get the point. Microsoft has contract with companies and they want companies only support their platform and only ones they decide. More I wonder why everyone are fine with that MS has not gotten proper lawsuit with proper penalties from it, or why ms never got proper penalties from any consumer harm they did?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Warzone is a good example of a game that can run on Windows 7 but isn't allowed to. It isn't even a support issue, it is actively blocked from running. I had played Warzone for quite a bit on Windows 7 and did want to revisit it someday, but now I can't because Activision decided that the game isn't allowed to launch on my OS anymore.

I suppose it is fine, there are plenty of older games I haven't played yet, but it is really annoying when a current game or program's update can stop it from launching when it would work perfectly fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jaguarek62 said:

It is actually the first thing on this list.

I should've been more specific , it doesn't even work with the ported DX file. Today I tried to run it on a videocard that has native DX12 (feature level 12_1) and despite what some websites claim (they claim you can run it on a 12_1 feature level card) , it just doesn't run. Says "win 7 is not supported on your current hardware" . But the hardware is supported officially and the game is from official sources. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should we stop reporting new games that aren't supported from now on? From October nVidia will stop making Game Ready Drivers so basically no more games for Windows 7.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...