List of software that doesn't support Windows 7

asdf2345

An Opera-developer made an announcement regarding the EOL of Windows 7/8.1.

Quote: 

Hey, we are aware that Chrome is dropping support for Windows 7 and 8 but we wanted to keeping those platforms updated as long as it wouldn't require lot of additional maintenance from our side. We will look into this as it didn't show up on our earlier tests before release.
For now we logged some GPU related crash on Windows 8 which is logged under DNA-104227

So, what they basically say is that even tho Chromium based browsers, like Edge and Chrome, dropped support for them, they will continue to port back newer Opera versions to Windows 7/8/8.1, as long as it doesn‘t reach a point, where they would have to put too much effort into it

14 minutes ago, yoltboy01 said:

An Opera-developer made an announcement regarding the EOL of Windows 7/8.1.

Quote: 

Hey, we are aware that Chrome is dropping support for Windows 7 and 8 but we wanted to keeping those platforms updated as long as it wouldn't require lot of additional maintenance from our side. We will look into this as it didn't show up on our earlier tests before release.
For now we logged some GPU related crash on Windows 8 which is logged under DNA-104227

So, what they basically say is that even tho Chromium based browsers, like Edge and Chrome, dropped support for them, they will continue to port back newer Opera versions to Windows 7/8/8.1, as long as it doesn‘t reach a point, where they would have to put too much effort into it

That's really interesting news. So basically, Opera cares about Windows 7 and 8.1 users this time, unlike last time with XP and Vista. I hope Vivaldi does the same too.

Edited by mina7601

5 hours ago, mina7601 said:

That's really interesting news. So basically, Opera cares about Windows 7 and 8.1 users this time, unlike last time with XP and Vista. I hope Vivaldi does the same too.

No, they don't care, you just don't remember 2016 when they said exactly the same and dropped Vista immediately !

It's fake news from them, as usual. New Opera 96 does not work on Windows 7/8/8.1 . Don't spread fake news.

6 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

they will continue to port back newer Opera versions to Windows 7/8/8.1

It's a lie, big lie. Try yourself .

Just to be clear, I wrote they lied, not you. You are just a poor victim of their propaganda.

https://get.opera.com/ftp/pub/opera-developer/96.0.4640.0/win/Opera_Developer_96.0.4640.0_Setup.exe

https://get.opera.com/ftp/pub/opera-developer/96.0.4640.0/win/Opera_Developer_96.0.4640.0_Setup_x64.exe

Edited by D.Draker
links

8 hours ago, D.Draker said:

It's a lie, big lie. Try yourself .

Just to be clear, I wrote they lied, not you. You are just a poor victim of their propaganda.

https://get.opera.com/ftp/pub/opera-developer/96.0.4640.0/win/Opera_Developer_96.0.4640.0_Setup.exe

https://get.opera.com/ftp/pub/opera-developer/96.0.4640.0/win/Opera_Developer_96.0.4640.0_Setup_x64.exe

Yeah I tried v96 on 8.1 and it immediately crashes. With that sandbox hack it opens, gives an error and closes again

3 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Yeah I tried v96 on 8.1 and it immediately crashes. With that sandbox hack it opens, gives an error and closes again

Imagine I loved win 7/8, like you, I 'd start to bombard that terrible liar, the "developer" with e-mails, posts and shaming him at his forum. 

What he does is scam, pure and simple.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Imagine I loved win 7/8, like you, I 'd start to bombard that terrible liar, the "developer" with e-mails, posts and shaming him at his forum. 

What he does is scam, pure and simple.

As Opera is not my main browser, I am not really surprised or shocked. I‘m still optimistic and stick to their words. I will wait and see if they really fix compatibility and if not, then I will „bombard“ them with e-mails ;)

16 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I‘m still optimistic and stick to their words. I will wait and see

Good luck then !

18 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

This is no wonder, I expected they would prevent using this hack it in the near future and only -nosadnbox won't be enough, like I wrote you - they read our topics, and

I'm against discussing the hacks in the open for such obvious reasons.

Edited by D.Draker
bold text

13 hours ago, D.Draker said:

No, they don't care, you just don't remember 2016 when they said exactly the same and dropped Vista immediately !

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/17/opera-36-will-be-the-last-for-windows-xp-and-vista/

This is different though. They said they would continue to provide security and crash fixes for Opera 36 on XP and Vista (while making it the last version for these OSes), while in @yoltboy01's post, they didn't say "Opera 96+ won't run on 7 and 8.1, we advise updating to Windows 10 and later".

Edited by mina7601

13 hours ago, mina7601 said:

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/17/opera-36-will-be-the-last-for-windows-xp-and-vista/

This is different though. They said they would continue to provide security and crash fixes for Opera 36 on XP and Vista (while making it the last version for these OSes), while in @yoltboy01's post, they didn't say "Opera 96+ won't run on 7 and 8.1, we advise updating to Windows 10 and later".

You wrote you blocked me, why do you still reply to my posts then ? Your article is a third party one, it's not the source. And it already happened, read the post above .

They dropped support and it doesn't work with or without sandbox. It crashes. It had been confirmed !

There we go again, your English is not good enough, and it seems you aren't able to understand even simple things.

EDIT: Please stop writing to me, I'm not your free English teacher anymore, I quit. Otherwise - I'll start charging you 100GBP per 1 hour lesson.

Edited by D.Draker

20 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I'm against discussing the hacks in the open for such obvious reasons.

Would be very pathetic from their side, since it‘s their own software. If they read our forums to find their mistakes, they‘re not good developers. Nonetheless, they can feel free to block that hack if they want to. There are many smart brains around here, like @win32 or you, who achieved to backport newer software to older OS :)

You wrote you blocked me, why do you still reply to my posts then ?

I just wanted to put my final reply to you in this subject, thank you.

Your article is a third party one, it's not the source.

Doesn't matter to me, I love reading from that website, as it is one of the best websites for tech news.

your English is not good enough, and it seems you aren't able to understand even simple things.

Again, me being unable to understand things like this doesn't really relate with my English. I just didn't understand them.

Please stop writing to me, I'm not your free English teacher anymore, I quit. Otherwise - I'll start charging you 100GBP per 1 hour lesson.

I wasn't writing to you for this reason. Also, no thanks, I would rather continue studying English than being charged for lessons.

Anyway, this is my last reply to this subject. You can reply with what you want, but I won't reply any further to this to avoid derailing this topic. Have a nice day.

Edited by mina7601

I know it's Windows 8.1, but it looks like Visual Studio 2022 works on Windows 8.1 unofficially. :)

Gives me a warning that the OS isn't officially supported, but works anyway ^o^

Now, I won't be forced to use that malware Windows 10 just to get school classes done.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

On 12/30/2022 at 9:18 AM, FantasyAcquiesce said:

I know it's Windows 8.1, but it looks like Visual Studio 2022 works on Windows 8.1 unofficially. :)

It works on Windows 7 too. I use VS2022 since v17.0.1, and now on 17.4.3 it still works almost flawlessly. I say almost because since v17.3, the built-in terminal is crashing my VS when I open it. And by the way, I don't mind this problem that much since you can open the CMD-based variant from the start menu, which still allows me to use the VS terminal if I need to do something with GPG or Git itself.

Honestly I don't know for the moment if the problem is dependent of a certain configuration or if it's just because some features are missing in system DLLs as the crash dialog does not provide me infos.

image.thumb.png.59c0322ebfc7de8d4cbcd67d405c57a1.png

As you can see the whole IDE crash when I tried to open built-in terminal, no errors are displayed at all, and the CMD-based one on bottom right corner which runs without problems.