List of software that doesn't support Windows 7

asdf2345

I don't have specific details (I can get them if needed) but it appears that the CurseForge launcher no longer supports Windows 7. However, it does look like the updater checks compatibility before updating rather than after. Every time I open it, it has an error that says to update to Windows "10.0" and then the message goes away and I can do everything I normally could.

CurseForge launcher is used for Minecraft but there are (or where) many alternate launchers.

• 3 weeks later...

On 12/17/2022 at 10:56 AM, yoltboy01 said:

I just saw that Office v2301 is the last one for Windows 8.1 

The Office Insider Button is grayed out just like in Windows 7, with the same nag message

BTW, would there by any way to get this version of Office, which still works for Windows 8.1, to install on Windows 7?
I am using the latest supported version 2002.

Paintnet 5.0+ no longer supports Windows 7 or 8 -_-

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/120669-paintnet-4312-is-now-available/

Man, this really stinks especially as one who uses 8.1 on low-end devices. Windows 8.1 support is not even officially over yet and vendors are dropping it along with 7 just as they did with Vista/XP...

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

33 minutes ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Paintnet 5.0+ no longer supports Windows 7 or 8 -_-

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/120669-paintnet-4312-is-now-available/

Man, this really stinks especially as one who uses 8.1 on low-end devices. Windows 8.1 support is not even officially over yet and vendors are dropping it along with 7 just as they did with Vista/XP...

Yeah that was already a very possible scenario years ago, since Windows 8 and 8.1 usage isn‘t as high as Windows 7. That‘s also the reason why they don‘t offer ESU for 8.1 devices. However, 8.1 is closer to 10 than 7, which makes some things easier to backport to 8.1 than to 7, just like it was the case with XP and Vista. Vista is obviously way more identical to 7 than XP, which made some things much easier

MKVToolNix no longer supports Windows 7 or 8 for over a year (not sure about the exact date).

The last working version - 66 (tried myself) , starting 67 doesn't work.

Read rumours someone made unofficial hacks. Fully disassembled them and then used QT5, not sure

how good it would be, kinda defeats the purpose of newer versions being made in the first place.

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

MKVToolNix no longer supports Windows 7 or 8 for over a year (not sure about the exact date).

The last working version - 66 (tried myself) , starting 67 doesn't work.

Read rumours someone made unofficial hacks. Fully disassembled them and then used QT5, not sure

how good it would be, kinda defeats the purpose of newer versions being made in the first place.

From my notes (untested):

To get later versions to run on Win7:

Download ReShade, extract the installer, rename ReShade64.dll (Reshade32.dll if the app you downloaded is 32bits) to dxgi.dll and copy the file to the installation folder
However, you also require 
api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll
from a Win10 machine.

Any chance you could test and let us know if this workaround works?

14 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Yeah that was already a very possible scenario years ago, since Windows 8 and 8.1 usage isn‘t as high as Windows 7. That‘s also the reason why they don‘t offer ESU for 8.1 devices. However, 8.1 is closer to 10 than 7, which makes some things easier to backport to 8.1 than to 7, just like it was the case with XP and Vista. Vista is obviously way more identical to 7 than XP, which made some things much easier

True. This is why a lot of software is still Vista or later in 2022: Ice Cream Reader, FireAlpaca, SumatraPDF, Panda security, and a lot of lesser-known software. Under the hood, it's extremely similar to 7. I'm sure many developers don't really have a good reason to go onto newer IDE's if all they are is more bloat.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

8 hours ago, Darth Agnon said:

I was under the impression this topic was more like *not supported officially list*. I might be wrong, of course.

Thank you very much ! I'll try. Looks interesting. Is this hack only for the 67 ? I mean, 67 makes no sense, 

it's already in the 70s range for a long time.

16 hours ago, Darth Agnon said:

There are already multiple versions compiled with QT5 and fully working on Win7.

First one you can grab here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/405407-NON-OFFICIAL-Windows-builds-of-MKVtoolnix/page3#post2672418

Second one here: https://github.com/jpsdr/MKVToolnix-QT5-Windows-7

The first version seems to be updated regularly and available few hours or days after official release. It is opensource, so everybody can do this.